The Babadook pop up book

Something similar happened to me. I replied to their email about verifying address, and got no confirmation. So I emailed them again 10 days later at a different email address, and got a reply. Maybe if you drop them a line babadook.address@gmail.com

got my tracking number on Friday, but it still doesn't work yet.

I messaged them and they said the books hadn't gone out yet.

Don't know how the person on ebay got it so quickly!

Woohoo… received two tracking numbers. Anyone else order multiples? I'm ind of wondering whether there should be three tracking numbers if these were sent individually.

In my opinion, the book will have a value of $100 or even less (possibly 60-80). This is just by looking at the numbers of books available. For instance, if only 250 buyers purchased books for resale within the next year, that would mean an average of one book per weekday on eBay over the next year. This high price is not sustainable over the long term. Already, there is another listing for around 600.

Last edited:
Things are worth what people are willing to pay–simple supply and demand. The run is closed, so this individual's demand was worth $900. It is silly, though, at over 100% its original cost.

I'm sure you will be able to sell them for a bit more than the original $80. But since there are thousands of these made, I don't see them getting sold for more than $500. I think a price between $100 and $250 will be more realistic. After all, the Babadook is not a mainstream horror movie. If this were a Conjuring, Sinister, Insidious, ... prop, I think price could be higher...

You maybe right in the short term, but I don't think so over the long term.

First of all, who is to say the run is closed. It was supposed to be closed, but suddenly they released another run of thousands more copies. This irritated buyers and decreased the long term value significantly. It showed that they are not a trusted publisher. Who is to say that they will not do the same at the 5 year mark or that they don't have thousands more that they distributed without telling anyone or have in reserves, etc. Maybe the person publishing this will be hurting financially at some point and just make more copies. No one will be able to track this. Like it or not, they probably are not going into the publishing business with other titles and therefore have to maintain standards.

Furthermore, many people will be given these as presents and will not know the original cost. These will eventually find their way to eBay at the starting bid of $1.

There will be condition problems with many books as pages are ripped, the covers soiled, etc. which will reduce the overall price of the item and create different subsets of values.

Will the movie stand the test of time? Right now it is a relatively popular movie, but will the book retain its value as the movie is forgotten over the next few years and the novelty wears off?

In my case, I am wanting one to give as a Christmas present, so I am willing to pay more over the next couple of months. But on December 26, my personal demand will drop dramatically. There may or may not be many people like that. Who knows? But in the long run (2 years or so), I don't think these prices are sustainable. If I was wanting to make money on this, I would try to either sell now. Otherwise, keep the book in pristine condition and take a risk with time.

It is a cool book, though.

You maybe right in the short term, but I don't think so over the long term.

First of all, who is to say the run is closed. It was supposed to be closed, but suddenly they released another run of thousands more copies. This irritated buyers and decreased the long term value significantly. It showed that they are not a trusted publisher. Who is to say that they will not do the same at the 5 year mark or that they don't have thousands more that they distributed without telling anyone or have in reserves, etc. Maybe the person publishing this will be hurting financially at some point and just make more copies. No one will be able to track this. Like it or not, they probably are not going into the publishing business with other titles and therefore have to maintain standards.

Furthermore, many people will be given these as presents and will not know the original cost. These will eventually find their way to eBay at the starting bid of $1.

There will be condition problems with many books as pages are ripped, the covers soiled, etc. which will reduce the overall price of the item and create different subsets of values.

Will the movie stand the test of time? Right now it is a relatively popular movie, but will the book retain its value as the movie is forgotten over the next few years and the novelty wears off?

In my case, I am wanting one to give as a Christmas present, so I am willing to pay more over the next couple of months. But on December 26, my personal demand will drop dramatically. There may or may not be many people like that. Who knows? But in the long run (2 years or so), I don't think these prices are sustainable. If I was wanting to make money on this, I would try to either sell now. Otherwise, keep the book in pristine condition and take a risk with time.

It is a cool book, though.

Everyone likes to believe because of the production delays due to production issues, and the apparent headaches of this run, will keep them from doing another run, but... they have now dealt with those issues and ironed out all the delays. Now that they have streamlined the production process and figured things out, the next run would be smoother and faster. So I bet they will opt to do more once they see the demand for these. We see companies do that all the time.

I am going to combine a few points people have made here.

First, TomVDJ pointed out that this is a very small film. It has made cult status but in the horror genre; therefore it does not have a mass merchandising audience.

Point two, due to the limited audience, interest in another run will wane significantly. Due to the handmade and extremely time-consuming nature of the production of these books, it find it unlikely that they will ever be made again. Heck, even after the first run of Joker cards I did, it was hard to gather interest a couple years later.

Lastly, these folks are not in the business of publishing. They are filmmakers. They have NO stakes in making their money through publishing. They did this for fans. I still get the sense that some people have a problem with the fact that more people were able to get their hands on something they wanted. I don't get that.

So, I don't think they will make more as they are probably more concerned with moving on in their film careers. People(the handful of stragglers) will continue to pay what they are willing to pay for an increasingly hard-to-find piece of prop-replica history.

To be honest, they probably won't end up on eBay. Was just seeing if I'd get some hate. I'm not really the person for flipping for profit. Met John Carpenter two nights ago, and got him to sign a Nag75K H1 mask, under the chin and inside the mask. Would love to know what price I could fetch for it, but listing stuff on eBay just isn't worth the effort.
Just be careful posting these..."I have a few extra books I could sell... I have a cool signed mask I might let go of.... I'm just not sure of the value on them and what someone might buy them for".... type of posts. MODS can take that as "fishing for offers through PM", and that would be skirting the rules and selling by avoiding going to a Premium membership. Not saying you are doing that, but it can be taken that way and viewed as a silent auction.

- - - Updated - - -

I am going to combine a few points people have made here.

First, TomVDJ pointed out that this is a very small film. It has made cult status but in the horror genre; therefore it does not have a mass merchandising audience.

Point two, due to the limited audience, interest in another run will wane significantly. Due to the handmade and extremely time-consuming nature of the production of these books, it find it unlikely that they will ever be made again. Heck, even after the first run of Joker cards I did, it was hard to gather interest a couple years later.

Lastly, these folks are not in the business of publishing. They are filmmakers. They have NO stakes in making their money through publishing. They did this for fans. I still get the sense that some people have a problem with the fact that more people were able to get their hands on something they wanted. I don't get that.

So, I don't think they will make more as they are probably more concerned with moving on in their film careers. People(the handful of stragglers) will continue to pay what they are willing to pay for an increasingly hard-to-find piece of prop-replica history.
Unless they see the "Value" in the ones selling on ebay, and decide to do another limited run at a $300-$500 price tag.

Unless they see the "Value" in the ones selling on ebay, and decide to do another limited run at a $300-$500 price tag.

The value you are referring to is from fewer people than you realize. It isn't about how much a few people will pay, it's about how many would pay to cover costs.

And again, these people are filmmakers! The director herself made this happen and not as a cash grab, but a fun opportunity for fans to connect with her work. Judging by the amount of time this has taken, I doubt she will forgo her budding career to make bank off a niche-of-a-niche market like indie horror film prop replicas.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back