Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [Completed!]

Re: Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [WIP]

thats all? not too bad but where did you order it from that came in such big rolls that thick, though those are pretty big sheets

Yeah bro. I'd also like to know (although getting it to New Zealand might be a mission...). Please?

Yeah bro. I'd also like to know (although getting it to New Zealand might be a mission...). Please?
thats all? not too bad but where did you order it from that came in such big rolls that thick, though those are pretty big sheets

Back a few pages he said he got his foam from here: https://www.foambymail.com/MC2-/cross-linked-polyethylene-foam-2lb.html

I ordered the same thing in White (Because I'm an idiot and should have ordered black). 1/2inch 48inch x 72 inch. Three rolls came out to about $110 for me. Which is really cheap given the size of the project. To my benefit, I'm not building a helmet like the one in the pep files. I've got a completely different mess to work through with that.

I've been watching thread for a while now, and am in awe at the quality of this suit. I have also decided that I will try a space marine for my next build. I really like the power fist, and I've tried building one of my own. I used wood for the fingers, and am working to get them to flex.

power fist.JPG

SOOOOOO much painting! It takes forever. I want a new workspace so badly now. I need more room. Anyway, fist, a lesson. When spraying your parts black, in the 85 degree heat.... take them out of the sun as soon as possible! I left my helmet sitting on a post in the sun for a bit too long. The thing got so hot that a seam started to pull apart and I almost had a panic attack. Luckily it was only in the plasti-dip phase and I was able to repair it with little ill effect.

Now. the good stuff. I haven't posted in a while so here is a wall of photos. This is my weekends progress.
IMG_1393.JPG

IMG_1394.JPG

IMG_1398.JPG

IMG_1400.JPG

IMG_1403.JPG

IMG_1408.JPG

It is now almost midnight on Sunday, this is what I have to show for my work.
IMG_1410.JPG

IMG_1411.JPG

IMG_1412.JPG

IMG_1413.JPG

IMG_1414.JPG

Many of the pieces with color still need a LOADS more work. These are all still waiting to be plasti dipped. Still a lot of work left.
IMG_1415.JPG

no words....
Well, what the hell!! Words: We need an " how to paint so damm good" NOW!!!

Can you post a single part with the different stages of the process and some detailed explanation???
Incredible work.. best painting I´´ve ever seen...

Holy mother of all that is 40k! That is starting to look awesome man! From when you started this build I was dying to see some paint on it and you have not disappointed at all. Great job man! :D

Here is tonights update. I plasti-dipped my boots (not pictured) and spent the rest of the evening of the shins. Mostly airbrushing and hand painting the letters on the right shin guard. I also did some weathering, mostly in the form of the silver scuffs and such. Oh, and I didn't take a picture, but the little detail on the back of each shin got hit with some silver paint as well.

The lighting is a bit dim in my living room, the blues don't pop like they do in the guest room, lol.
IMG_1420.JPG

IMG_1421.JPG

IMG_1422.JPG

I can't believe how epic this build is man. You have outdone the sith stalker which I think is amazing as well. The paint always sells the suit and you have definitely made it look every bit as good as it deserves.

I just started making my own power fist after watching your build for a while, and really want those fingers. I just need to get a 3d printer first. I will definitely use this build as inspiration when I do start my space marine.

Last edited:

This build just keeps getting better. Please do a 'how to' on getting those paint effects, they are awesome.
This suit is going to look at least as good as your inspirations from the first post.

With wargear that good, the Emperor does protect.

The detail is incredible. I would swear that they are made from metal. Keep up the great work! Can't wait to see it all put together

Fist up tonight I made a quick video regarding foam coating methods. Epsilon vs Plasti-dip specifically. Just my two cents but I thought it might be helpful for anyone who is near the finishing stage.

Epsilon vs Plasti-dip foam coating - YouTube

And now for the good stuff.

Here is tonight's paint update. I finished the boots as well as the Crux Terminatus, which seems to be all the rage in space marine fashion lately. Enjoy. Shoulders are next on the list.

IMG_1423.JPG

IMG_1424.JPG

IMG_1426.JPG

IMG_1427.JPG

IMG_1428.JPG

IMG_1429.JPG

IMG_1430.JPG

First thread I've ever actually shouted '******** wow' out loud :') Amazing, amazing work. Makes we wish i had the space to build a space marine suit. Keep up the stunning work.

This is seriously the CLEANEST foam work that I have ever seen. Absolutely stunning, sir.

Tonight was slow on the paint progress. Precious little light remains in the day after I get home from work I was only able to get the shoulders and thighs coated in plastidip and the belt buckle painted and re-attached. In the wee hours of the night I will be working on my 1029 scale bolt pistol. I wanted a plasma pistol, but I cannot complete it before Halloween with the lights and sounds I intended to include in it. So the Bolt pistol will have to do. The good thing about weapons is I can always make more later.

IMG_1431.JPG

IMG_1432.JPG

IMG_1433.JPG

Looking at some of your parts, I'm beginning to notice some glaring differences in the Pep models. For example, the pinch points on the chest in the pep files i have are downward towards the waist, rather than upwards at the neck. Are your pep files available for download somewhere?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back