Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [Completed!]

Re: Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [WIP]

Just read all 14 pages and im blown away! Amazing work and i wish i had a house big enough to have that thing displayed right when you walk in the door!

-Mark

Seeing the huge hand on its own looked weird, but with the whole suit put together, it makes perfect proportional sense. good job!

Sorry for the radio silence. Honestly the work I have been doing is rather boring so I haven't been taking regular photos.

My work over the last few days has been mostly sanding and testing. After the seams were cleaned I disassembled the entire suit and gave everything a once over with the heat gun. This was done to shrink the pores as much as possible before applying paint. Smaller pores means less paint, which means less time/money spent, which means I am happier.

I did some testing with two varieties of acrylic blend caulks on my foam seams. I am happy to report both dap brand "alex" and "dynaflex" caulk worked well for me and was easily paintable. I hit some sample chips with it and painted them up. The all got the full treatment of caulk/PVA/plastidip/paint. My colors are below. It's hard to tell in the photo, but both the blue and red are two tone. I intend to use the tonality of the lighter blue/red in the ares that might see more handling, and the darker blue/red in the areas that wouldn't be touched often. The colors blend really nicely so I think its going to look great. Of course there will be loads of airbrushing as well.

Look at these pretty colors:
IMG_1390.JPG

Where the hell am I going to store this beast?!
IMG_1388.JPG

Super excited to see some painting action! Looks like you're getting excellent paint coverage/quality on those chips, looking forward to seeing more. I also like the dog in the last picture, which is definitely thinking: "Is this for eating???" Heh.

I personally think you should put the suit assembled opposite the front door. That's a show piece man.

It will freak out anyone coming over, and every time you walk in the room, you will think someone is there since you see it from the corner of your eye.

Sealed all the seams with caulk tonight. What a TREAT that was. ugh. It means that paint is going to start flying soon though. ;D

IMG_1392.JPG

I can't wait to see it painted man. But I am a fan of gray so I wouldn't mind it just plasti-dipped with the accents done in color like you have.

I can't wait to see it painted man. But I am a fan of gray so I wouldn't mind it just plasti-dipped with the accents done in color like you have.

I thought about priming it gray and adding giant pieces of sprue and some flash on the seams. It would be really funny, but only to anyone who has actually built a 40k army.

I thought about priming it gray and adding giant pieces of sprue and some flash on the seams. It would be really funny, but only to anyone who has actually built a 40k army.

That would make one helluva team cosplay. :)

Get your significant other to wear some ratty sci-fi themed t-shirt and cover it in over-sized sprue shards, spot putty, super glue dots, and splash paint everywhere...then build them a ridiculously huge paint brush to carry while they follow you around the con floor.

Come to think of it, if you don't get it fully painted by your next convention, that may be an excellent way to still call the suit complete even without really being done. :lol

That would make one helluva team cosplay. :)

Get your significant other to wear some ratty sci-fi themed t-shirt and cover it in over-sized sprue shards, spot putty, super glue dots, and splash paint everywhere...then build them a ridiculously huge paint brush to carry while they follow you around the con floor.

Come to think of it, if you don't get it fully painted by your next convention, that may be an excellent way to still call the suit complete even without really being done. :lol

That's freaking brilliant. :lol

6 sheets of 1/2" thick foam, measuring 72" x 48". roughly 21,000 square inches.

thats all? not too bad but where did you order it from that came in such big rolls that thick, though those are pretty big sheets

Thought I'd stick my head in again and say BEAUTIFUL WORK. I have this feeling that you had an idea in your mind from the start, and through execution you made it exactly what you saw originally. Fit and finish is superb.

And something else about this build, for anybody just joining in.... YOU CAN ALL BUILD THIS. Sylgian's suit has some 3d printed perks (and awesomely scored skulls I must add), but in the end he's showing us how accessible building something like this can be. Thank you :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back