SW – ANH (5 Foot) - Studio Scale Millennium Falcon Build

Andre & Joshua, it has been an absolute pleasure guys working with you on the core form!.
I never tire of seeing her in the various angles above, it just looks so right!.

Now, back to my hull core, woohoo!.

Stu

Our ANH 5' Millennium Falcon CG core form model, is done.

Revised blueprints and CG assets are coming next, but in the mean time - some preview images:

This could not have happened without the collaborative efforts of Stuart Brown and Joshua Maruska.

Gentlemen, thank you very much...saluto!

Regards,

A
Lads, very impressive, if and when your getting foam cores cut , please pm me with a price to ship to Europe , even without details this is a work of art,
you all have so much drive to complete this.
(now I'll have to widen the attic hatch if I'm to hide it from my wife )
brilliant
Brian

Lads, very impressive, if and when your getting foam cores cut , please pm me with a price to ship to Europe , even without details this is a work of art,
you all have so much drive to complete this.
(now I'll have to widen the attic hatch if I'm to hide it from my wife )
brilliant
Brian

What are foam cores cut ?????

Thanks

Can I ask about the blueprints mentioned??

I am trying to follow too many threads so forgive me if this has been discussed but is this something being made that will be available so members can build their own 5ft versions???

Can I ask about the blueprints mentioned??

I am trying to follow too many threads so forgive me if this has been discussed but is this something being made that will be available so members can build their own 5ft versions???

Yeah, Andrea will be posting blueprints soon. I'll also be posting the 3D model to GrabCAD.

Cheers,
J

Our ANH 5' Millennium Falcon CG core form model, is done.

Revised blueprints and CG assets are coming next, but in the mean time - some preview images:

This could not have happened without the collaborative efforts of Stuart Brown and Joshua Maruska.

Gentlemen, thank you very much...saluto!

Regards,

A

Phenomenal work guys. Just phenomenal. Hats off to you.

Congratulations to all involved. I only recently discovered this thread, but I can appreciate the hard work.

Question -- I'm modeling various parts for 3D printing for my upcoming 44" Eagle build, and I know there are one or two donor kits common to both that I either have or am buying very soon for reference. So is anyone gathering MF part files someplace I could upload to, or should I just post a link somewhere? What format would you prefer? I'd be happy to share my parts with the community. And I mean that in the least pervy way possible. :p

Congratulations to all involved. I only recently discovered this thread, but I can appreciate the hard work.

Question -- I'm modeling various parts for 3D printing for my upcoming 44" Eagle build, and I know there are one or two donor kits common to both that I either have or am buying very soon for reference. So is anyone gathering MF part files someplace I could upload to, or should I just post a link somewhere? What format would you prefer? I'd be happy to share my parts with the community. And I mean that in the least pervy way possible. :p

I have a page on my falcon Blog for part files. I can host them or just link to yours! Thank you for volunteering! This is the type of collaboration we've been hoping for!

I have a page on my falcon Blog for part files. I can host them or just link to yours! Thank you for volunteering! This is the type of collaboration we've been hoping for!
Well, when I first joined Techshop last year and started realizing the possibilities, this was exactly the sort of project I hoped would start cropping up. You know -- Kompoz for modelers. I've been trying to get ready for it ever since. :)

Hi guys,
to vfxsup64 and maruska and everyone working on this , sorry I don't know your given names. Thanks so much for all the dedicated work on this and the generous attitude you have to share it. I wish that everyone had this spirit about them. I was wondering if you discovered the thickness of the plexi they used on the original domes. I'm guessing 1/4 inch thick with the edges milled down to 1/8 or so. Tell me if I'm close :) Also were you right about the domes being a section of a sphere ? I know you mentioned this early in the thread. Thanks again for your work and generousity, Cheers,

Joe

Last edited:
Hi guys,
to vfxsup64 and maruska and everyone working on this , sorry I don't know your given names. Thanks so much for all the dedicated work on this and the generous attitude you have to share it. I wish that everyone had this spirit about them. I was wondering if you discovered the thickness of the plexi they used on the original domes. I'm guessing 1/4 inch thick with the edges milled down to 1/8 or so. Tell me if I'm close :) Also were you right about the domes being a section of a sphere ? I know you mentioned this early in the thread. Thanks again for your work and generousity, Cheers,

Joe

Yup. 0.25" clear acrylic for the domes. There might have been some nominal stretching during forming, but our survey showed relatively consistent wall thickness on the formed parts.

As for the spherical-ness of the domes, they are pretty darn close. We got just a hair over 79" radius - I still suspect 80" was the target, but it's handmade. The crown is pretty circular with just a bit of distortion midway between the outer edge and gun platforms. About a 1/64" flattening halfway up.

Cheers,
J.

Thanks man. 1/4 plexi has got to be heavy. If I ever tried to tackle this beasty, I'd probably go with fiberglass. Much easier for me than trying to heat a huge piece of plexi and form it. Probably lighter too. The only issue I forsee is gluing the plastic plating to the fiberglass. CA will do it. But can be a pain. Oh well, I'm building an SS Galactica, so will probably never get to the Falcon, :( Cheers,

Joe

The plexi domes would have been vacuum formed, wouldn't they? Kinda the only way to thermoform it that makes any sense.

They were blow molded!. Plexi is super heated & air blown up from underneath until desired dome height is reached!.

Gotcha... You've jogged my memory... I seem to remember reading years ago that the CE3K Mothership dome was done that way....

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back