SW – ANH (5 Foot) - Studio Scale Millennium Falcon Build

Probably something like this, just not as extreme in height...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbaQLlbMvjI

Screen Shot 2015-01-31 at 9.42.41 PM.png

(I'd need to crack open my Mechanics Of Materials book from engineering school and see what the math says about the resultant shape of a blown "homogeneous" heated material of "constant" thickness under a pressure load...I bet the resultant shape would be mostly spherical...mostly) :)

ab

Last edited:
Blow molded without a buck! What a concept. Lots of variables could effect the final shape, including how consistent the heating of the sheet was during forming. Probably accounts for the slight flattening already noted - though 1/64" seems pretty small an error.

Regards, Robert

Yeah, and I'm curious about what kind of wood that is. It's very pretty. Maple?

I'm also curious about the materials choices in general. Given that the model was going to be mounted on a model mover, and re-mounted from different mounting points during shooting, was weight reduction a factor? If so, why wood and plexi, instead of fiberglass? Were the thermal properties of the build materials also a factor, given the intense lighting needed for the longer exposures? Or is it as simple as just having a good bonding surface for gluing all those kit parts?

I think the ring is definitely plywood, you can see the layers where it's ground down. As far as the other wood, it might be basswood.

The plexi domes would have been vacuum formed, wouldn't they? Kinda the only way to thermoform it that makes any sense.

There are other ways to make custom domes like this. The easiest is to "slump" the plastic. You sandwich the acrylic between two layers of plywood that have a hole cut in them the diameter of your dome, and then heat the plastic till it sags as deep as you want - and then remove the heat allowing it to cool in its new shape. It will take a few trys to get it to slump the right amount, as it will continue to sag a bit after the heat is removed. Getting even heat can be a challenge on a piece this large, but not insurmountable.

Another way is "blowing" a dome. It's the polar opposite of vacuforming. You again have a sandwich of plywood (or metal) with a hole in it, but the hole is only in the upper plate. when the plastic softens from heating, air is blown in between the plastic and the lower plate to inflate the bubble of plastic.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back