Survivor: South Pacific

God answers prayers of all magnitudes.

Sometimes the answer is "No".

I'm pulling for Ozzie. Still hate Coach and Brandon, and no one else interests me in the least. This is the worst Survivor season ever, and I've seen them all starting with Season 2.

The Wook

You gotta give it to Coach, I think this is the first time an alllance has made it the whole way from a merge without a blindside.

And Brandon is just an idiot.

I agree that this season has been horrible. Characters that seemed interesting to me in the beginning are unlikeable to me at this point.

I hope to see Coach and Ozzy both in the finals. I can't stand Brandon. He really is "Loco"

(I think this is my first post in one of these Survivor discussions, however my wife and I have been watching religiously since season 2...)

"If" Albert makes it to the final three, he has cut his own throat with that immunity necklace fiasco. Probst is brilliant asking if Albert would give it back to Brandon.

Totally unrelated but I recently found out that Coach is a year younger than me! :confused

Oh and I kind of wanted to see an upset with the Ozzy/Cochran showdown (which was easily Ozzy's hardest fought battle). Just that part of me that tends to root for the underdog.

I'd like to see Coach win this one. Ozzy has been a machine on Redemption, however Coach has been the real social engineer. I don't have a clue who will be the third finalist.

Kevin

Probst is brilliant asking if Albert would give it back to Brandon.

I am not a huge fan of Survivor (because in general, I think it encourages and rewards the worst in humanity) but I do watch it with Kristen pretty regularly. I have probably seen about 4 seasons and this season is the first time I have ever felt like Jeff is actually subtly having an impact on what happens. In the past I have always felt he was just asking questions, but this time, there have been two incidents, one being the one you mentioned, in which Jeff has asked very pointed questions that I feel may have guided or impacted the game. Has Jeff always done that and I just have never paid attention or is this something new?

Either way, I think that is a bit unfair because Jeff is privy to way more information than any of the players and with a single, very carefully worded question, he could completely change a game.

You gotta give it to Coach, I think this is the first time an alllance has made it the whole way from a merge without a blindside.

And Brandon is just an idiot.
Agreed. I loved Ozzie in his original season although this season I liked him up until he came up with a completely unnecessary move of "going to exile" island, then went crazy on Cochran and kept waffling. It was just a bit over the top and I don't recall him being like that previously. Just a bit much arrogance. However, he's been kicking butt on exile like nobody's business. Coach has been a smarter Coach this season, playing a slightly different game than before. I like it and am actually rooting for him where I haven't done so before. And Brandon will NEVER live this down with his family...ever!

Art is right about Jeff. I think he's been like this the past 2 seasons. He is really just calling stuff out blatantly, not even hinting around it. Art is convinced he's caused some changes in the game. I think he is overstepping his bounds a bit in tribal. Or, perhaps he's always done this but it's been edited not to show it as much as they have this season? In any case, I think it has definitely made tribal council very interesting!

I am not a huge fan of Survivor (because in general, I think it encourages and rewards the worst in humanity) but I do watch it with Kristen pretty regularly. I have probably seen about 4 seasons and this season is the first time I have ever felt like Jeff is actually subtly having an impact on what happens. In the past I have always felt he was just asking questions, but this time, there have been two incidents, one being the one you mentioned, in which Jeff has asked very pointed questions that I feel may have guided or impacted the game. Has Jeff always done that and I just have never paid attention or is this something new?

Either way, I think that is a bit unfair because Jeff is privy to way more information than any of the players and with a single, very carefully worded question, he could completely change a game.

I've noticed that, too, Art. And I've watched every episode since the beginning of Season 2. I gotta say, I don't like it, and I say out loud to the screen, "Jeff, shut the frak up!".

The only thing I can think of, is that this season's castaways are sooooo frakking boring, that Jeff and the producers thought he needed to stir up some drama for ratings sake.

And yet, we have to bear in mind, that they only show us what they want to show us, every single episode. So there may be quite a bit more tampering that's been going on...forever in the series...that we've not been privy to.

But yes, a couple of incidents with Jeff in TC this year have crossed the line in my eyes.

The Wook

Those tribal counsels are ususlly a couple hours long and we see very little of them.

Jeff has always had an influence on the game, and I love that part.

I've noticed that, too, Art. And I've watched every episode since the beginning of Season 2. I gotta say, I don't like it, and I say out loud to the screen, "Jeff, shut the frak up!".

I think everyone thinks that. I can't remember where, but I seem to remember seeing an interview with a Survivor cast member who said, when asked about this, that he actually asks them a lot more questions and it gets edited for TV. So they have no clue, from the questioning, about voting like the viewer does. That's the only thing that would make sense, otherwise you just listen to what Probst says and vote accordingly.

I don't really care who wins because I think this cast kind of sucked. I'm rooting for Ozzie just cause he's Ozzie. I still think Coach is a d-bag akin to a guy running around saying he's a Navy SEAL.

I REALLY hope Russel is in the audience at the reunion thing so Jeff can ask him about Brandon's gameplay! :lol

Those tribal counsels are ususlly a couple hours long and we see very little of them.

This is my understanding as well- that Tribal is several hours long and we only get to see 10 or 15 minutes of it.

I have felt that Probst has been asking loaded questions only in the last two seasons. Usually he'll just call someone out when they are rolling their eyes at another player's comment (this would be more like stirring the pot and seeing where things go). Now it has become much more direct and as you said Art- game changing. Albert really doesn't have a single hope of winning now.

Kevin

Last edited:
Brandon won my sympathy when his father visited. Sure, he's clueless about what motivates other people or how they feel, and that is frustrating as anything, but I totally believe he's sincere about God, just for the way he gently stood up to his dad and has continued to play his own way.

He's right, though, this is SO NOT his game. :lol Even if he doesn't win the money, he can win by coming out of this game wiser.

I really don't know how anyone can enter this game and expect to play with integrity AND win without becoming a hypocrite.

Example, Coach: 1 He lied to Brandon about having the hidden immunity idol, 2 he pretended to look for it, 3 pretended to pray to find it, 4 pretended to find it and then 5 pretended to thank God. And WHY did he do all this lying and blasphemy? To keep Brandon, who is sincere about his belief in God, looking up to Coach as a spiritual leader playing with integrity. :thumbsdown

Win or lose, if Coach walks away from this game convinced he played with integrity and he's a super spiritual guy fit for training young believers like Brandon, he's lost in the worst way.

Oh, and - I hope Ozzy wins.

Last edited:
Brandon won my sympathy when his father visited. Sure, he's clueless about what motivates other people or how they feel, and that is frustrating as anything, but I totally believe he's sincere about God, just for the way he gently stood up to his dad and has continued to play his own way.

He's right, though, this is SO NOT his game. :lol Even if he doesn't win the money, he can win by coming out of this game wiser.

I really don't know how anyone can enter this game and expect to play with integrity AND win without becoming a hypocrite.

Example, Coach: 1 He lied to Brandon about having the hidden immunity idol, 2 he pretended to look for it, 3 pretended to pray to find it, 4 pretended to find it and then 5 pretended to thank God. And WHY did he do all this lying and blasphemy? To keep Brandon, who is sincere about his belief in God, looking up to Coach as a spiritual leader playing with integrity. :thumbsdown

Win or lose, if Coach walks away from this game convinced he played with integrity and he's a super spiritual guy fit for training young believers like Brandon, he's lost in the worst way.

Oh, and - I hope Ozzy wins.

Wow, Julie, you hit it out of the park with this post. Very perspicacious comments. :thumbsup :thumbsup

The Wook

ps~Hey all, what'd ya think about Brandon's father?! He looked as intense with those eyes as his more famous (infamous, depending on your perspective) brother. I wish they had brought HIM onto this season, instead of his ridiculously lost son. Oh, how I wish THAT! :lol What do you think? Do you think anyone would've guessed he was Russell's brother?

I swear if Brandon takes out Ozzy I'll be needing a new TV, cause I'll throw something through this one..

That kid is hands down the worst player in Survivor history. And I've seen every episode ever. I feel bad for him because he really has psychological issues.

I'm cheering for Ozzy because he is a dominant player and that's what I like to see. Not like the coat tailers that win almost every year. Although I agree Ozzy's attitude is very different this year. Very arrogant. I think Redemption Island was the key to his game.

Hopefully next season will have some more interesting people. Oh and they won't vote off all the hot chicks first. :lol

Hopefully next season will have some more interesting people. Oh and they won't vote off all the hot chicks first. :lol

Agreed, Mikayla left waaaay too soon. :love

And it was that Bible-thumping jackwagon Brandon that got her booted! :angry

As much as I love his uncle, that's how much I hate him.

The Wook

Julia,

I am in complete agreement with you, especially on Coach. I do think Coach has changed quite a bit from the clown he was the first time we saw him, but his actions and his stated beliefs certainly don't match up. Coach talks about how many scars Russell left on his soul... to me, Russell must have done more than that, because I see Russell's craftiness in Coach's actions.

While it isn't my place to judge, Bradon feels like a caricature of a devout religious person, almost like someone who would be stuck into a Hollywood film as "the religious zealot." While he may be sincere, he is so naive and so misguided that I am not sure who gives religious-minded people a worse name, Brandon or Coach. I am not going to say more on that because we can't get into religious debates here, but I don't think either represent their beliefs particularly well, for completely opposite reasons.

Yeah, ditto the thanks for the reminder. I was trying to figure out what to do tonight. Now I know!

Oh, and I really hope Russell is there. He would be embarrassed by Brandon's game play (or lack thereof)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back