South Park: Joining The Panderverse

It's so weird trying to not just keep up with South Park now, but just knowing when is the next thing. I no longer have cable, and I don't have many streaming services, is South Park an exclusive streaming production now? Do they not have that fast turn-around time for broadcast anymore? Are all the latest episodes still archived on their website?

I like the symbolism in the episode: Kathleen Kennedy representing someone who is trying to create good content, but by pandering, it lead to the creation of a "toxic fandom," which is represented by Eric Cartman. This leads into a feedback loop that eventually leads to the creation of the entire franchise being known as toxic, which is represented by Cartman-Kennedy. Many may say that "You're not suppose to relate to Cartman" because of the fact he's a terrible human being, but if there is one thing anyone knows about South Park, is that Eric Cartman and whatever story he is used in is most often the voice of the problem. In this case, Cartman is representing the symptom of the problem with Kathleen Kennedy being the cause of the problem, and Cartman-Kennedy representing the end result. The fact that Cartman acknowledges that they both are the cause of the problem shows that the Trey and Matt clearly get what's going on for both sides.

I like the symbolism in the episode: Kathleen Kennedy representing someone who is trying to create good content, but by pandering, it lead to the creation of a "toxic fandom," which is represented by Eric Cartman. This leads into a feedback loop that eventually leads to the creation of the entire franchise being known as toxic, which is represented by Cartman-Kennedy. Many may say that "You're not suppose to relate to Cartman" because of the fact he's a terrible human being, but if there is one thing anyone knows about South Park, is that Eric Cartman and whatever story he is used in is most often the voice of the problem. In this case, Cartman is representing the symptom of the problem with Kathleen Kennedy being the cause of the problem, and Cartman-Kennedy representing the end result. The fact that Cartman acknowledges that they both are the cause of the problem shows that the Trey and Matt clearly get what's going on for both sides.

On-point analysis. (y)

I've been watching this show unwaveringly since the series started.

TazMan2000
Same. I've always bought the seasons on DVD as they come out because I always figure South Park is one of those shows that would get booted from TV and buried at some point because they finally pissed off the right person. But everyone who has come after them has been knocked down.
Gina Carano's response has been icing on the cake as well. If anyone deserved to have a last laugh at KK's expense, it's her.

Same. I've always bought the seasons on DVD as they come out because I always figure South Park is one of those shows that would get booted from TV and buried at some point because they finally pissed off the right person. But everyone who has come after them has been knocked down.
Gina Carano's response has been icing on the cake as well. If anyone deserved to have a last laugh at KK's expense, it's her.

I like how they take no prisoners. Anytime some celebrity does or says something stupid or way past their level, they jump on it. Like you, I'm still surprised they're still on the air and actually have been renewed until 2027. I can't get enough of their take on humanity. I can't wait for the next season but I am a little disappointed in the amount of episodes lately.

TazMan2000

I haven't seen this yet, but I think it's pretty bad that we have to pat people on the back for just giving their take on a situation. That used to be common. I think it's more of a sad commentary on how people don't even like to give an opinion. We can't have a discussion on a topic without the extremes on both sides trying to cancel you or ruin your life because they disagree. I think when you're pissing off everyone, you're doing something right.

What’s even funnier is that on Twitter, there are people who are like, “South Park owned the Chuds too! Why aren’t they seeing that?!” I’ve replied to a couple of them with the following: “Either they know how to take a joke, or they’ve been called worse by Hollywood and their supporters.” Plus, those supporters fail to realize it’s only one scene where the fanbase was “owned” (which was the scene where it was revealed Cartman was the one sending all the letters, which ties to my analysis previously posted about), while the rest of the episode took more shots at Hollywood, Kennedy and Disney (Which these supporters clearly missed).

What’s even funnier is that on Twitter, there are people who are like, “South Park owned the Chuds too! Why aren’t they seeing that?!” I’ve replied to a couple of them with the following: “Either they know how to take a joke, or they’ve been called worse by Hollywood and their supporters.” Plus, those supporters fail to realize it’s only one scene where the fanbase was “owned” (which was the scene where it was revealed Cartman was the one sending all the letters, which ties to my analysis previously posted about), while the rest of the episode took more shots at Hollywood, Kennedy and Disney (Which these supporters clearly missed).

Self awareness is truly lost on some people.

One of the best things South Park did was mock how Kennedy and the studios think that they're actually fighting racism (insert your preferred emotionally charged social issue of the day) by making movies. Ultimately they're a business which is why it's foolish to honestly believe that any of these megacorporations actually believe in whatever cause they espouse. They don't. Personally maybe some of them do, but at the end of the day, money wins. Always.

They've proven time and again that they'll abandon their "convictions" to prevent financial loss. Which means their platitudes about diversity, inclusion, acceptance, representation, or what have you, are absolutely hollow. If pandering to social causes makes them money, they'll do it. If denouncing the controversy of the day in favor of mindless positivity, they'll do it. If the overseas market demographics prove to be less than favorable with certain cast members, they'll diminish the actor's roles in the edit/ marketing. If labeling devoted fans as racist/ sexist/ homophobic/ transphobic/ or the like can be used to dismiss legitimate criticisms of their unimaginative and poorly executed content, they'll absolutely do it and they'll double down on it. Using their connections with the press to help them pile on. Their only motivation is money and the quality of the product is always secondary to profit.

Disney made the choice to cater their products to a generation of people who care more about the perception of equity, rather than making quality stories. There's a direct correlation between pandering to the whims of emotionally unstable whiners and the diminishing returns on once golden properties. Those people never cared about quality story telling. They have agendas to push and causes to represent. There's a world of difference between entertainment and activism and I think this company (among others) mistakenly thought they could market activism. They don't care about you. They don't care about your cause. They just want you to buy their products. That's it. It's really as simple as that.

The rest of us just want entertaining stories. Stories with new characters who inspire us and engage us emotionally. We want characters to aspire to and we're tired of the recycled crap that persists and that IP's that were once a rare blend of quality writing and marketability. The core of the issue is that Disney forgot how to make a good product. They just assumed they could coast on their name alone. I've said for years that nostalgia and pandering are sales tactics with diminishing returns and this is the result.

All this, and that's not taking into account the other contributing factor that's been infecting entertainment. Cynicism. Though that's a whole other topic. My hope is that despite the mess that Hollywood is in now, that we'll see a resurgence of artists and visionaries who step up to the plate. It would be so refreshing if Disney learned from this whole mess and started caring about the things they make, recognizing that if you make a great product, people will buy it. You'll have very little convincing to do if your product is a winner out of the gate.

Well, well, well...

One of them finally admits it. With Hollywood in turmoil because of the strikes and dropping stock prices I wouldn't be shocked at all to see more stories like this coming to light. Maybe fans calling this out years ago wasn't a "conspiracy" after all.

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back