Survivor: Fans vs Favorites

Well, Cochran showed tonight he won't hesitate to sting one of his own. Poor Brenda. Her old man's advice was good, but relying on it exclusively was Brenda's undoing. Her prescribed humility served her well and got her far, but as the end of the game neared, it blinded her to the busy little bee buzzing behind her back: Cochran.

I have a feeling Erick will be the one going home with an injury on Sunday--I just pray it's not Eddie.

And how 'bout that cat Eddie...he's got nine lives!

At least now, if Cochran wins--which I'm rooting against--I won't be able to say he's unworthy because he didn't make any bold moves. This was a bold move, one that may irreversibly poison Brenda against him and the rest of her old alliance. She was devastated. I just hope she hangs on to her anger when the Jury votes, and that Eddie will be the beneficiary.

The Wook

Last edited:
I know it's a dirty game, but that was the ultimate dick move last night sending Brenda home after she had given up time with her family so everyone else could spend time with theirs. I'm praying it's not Dawn or Cochran that wins the whole thing. At this point, the only person I want to win is Eddie which means he will probably be the first one to go. :(

The last couple of weeks of Survivor have been good television and definitely boosted what felt like a "ho-hum" season.
I never found the Three Amigos as effective a force as they were portrayed as. Reynold and Eddie were on the chopping block/defensive early on. It's hard to be on the offense when you are on the defense. Neither showed the potential that was expected of them. Eddie lucked out and is floating along. Malcolm was never the player he thought he was. Most of his plans fall through. The idols he was literally given couldn't help his ineffective game. I think he fancied himself a physical juggernaut like Ozzy. He was outsmarted by Andrea and company.

Blindsiding Andrea and Brenda were valid moves. With the endgame approaching anyone who wants a shot at the final three has to make movies. Brenda's revamped personality (thanks to dad's good advice) couldn't save her. Cochran only did to Brenda what she was planning to do to him. It's Survivor after all..
I enjoyed Brenda's tearful exit.

I'm curious to see how the rest of this season plays out. Personally I'm rooting for Cochran.

I hope that's just a guess on your part and not inside information or I'm going to be pissed that there were no spoiler tags.

It's a guess (my wishful thinking based on my pics in the office pool). But based on last night's previews and the way they have been portraying Erik lately, I'm pretty sure if anyone goes out for a medical reason it's going to be him.

Sorry guys, but aside for how much it hurt her, I do not feel bad for Brenda. I like her as a person, but not as a Survivor. Her getting voted out was her own fault. She has not started playing the game until recently. She was not making final three alliances and just relying on not making people mad and being generous is not the way you play this game. The only person she was close to was someone who reached out to her - the most untrustworthy person in the game: Dawn.

And honestly, I am not surprised at all that Dawn turned on her - because when it came to that reward, sure she picked Dawn, but then Brenda did the obviously 'smart' thing and gave it away - stab in the back to Dawn. As Dawn said, Brenda reaps all the rewards from that sacrifice...

Cochran is playing the best game all around - he's still my favorite.

I agree it was a smart move, but it was pretty low. They could have easily gotten Brenda out next week if she didn't win immunity. That's what I don't get is how everyone hated Russell for playing ruthlessly, but I don't remember him pulling anything that low.

They could have easily gotten Brenda out next week if she didn't win immunity.

Except she was proving to be quite the physical threat at the challenges. She could potentially keep winning immunity all the way to the final tribal council.

There was nothing "low" about taking her out when they did. It was a classic Survivor blindside. She was good at blending into the background for a while, but now she was starting to stand out as a real player, so if you don't seize an opportunity to take someone like that out when you can, then you'll be the one going home.

I agree it was a smart move, but it was pretty low. They could have easily gotten Brenda out next week if she didn't win immunity. That's what I don't get is how everyone hated Russell for playing ruthlessly, but I don't remember him pulling anything that low.

Yeah, Russell was never so callous.

Perhaps someone here who dislikes Russell, but who likes Cochran, can explain why Russell's game was detestable, but Cochran's betrayal of his longtime ally Brenda is laudable.

The Wook

I don't remember all of Russell's 'moves' but he took advantage of people who were nice to him, he was bully to those who weren't and he openly ridiculed just about everyone, and some with additional hateful scorn - laughing at what he was doing all the way. He made it personal.

Cochran is playing a game and likes the people he is playing with. He has a strategy - if you aren't thinking about me for your final three, I'm not thinking about you. Had Brenda thought of him and played as if he mattered to her I doubt he would have done that... but who knows. Either way, he is no where near as mean as Russell.

I don't remember all of Russell's 'moves' but he took advantage of people who were nice to him, he was bully to those who weren't and he openly ridiculed just about everyone, and some with additional hateful scorn - laughing at what he was doing all the way. He made it personal.

Cochran is playing a game and likes the people he is playing with. He has a strategy - if you aren't thinking about me for your final three, I'm not thinking about you. Had Brenda thought of him and played as if he mattered to her I doubt he would have done that... but who knows. Either way, he is no where near as mean as Russell.

The only times I recall Russell demeaning other people was in his confessionals. And yes, he did do that routinely, calling them dumbasses and whatnot, but they were dumbasses. lol And I found his candor most refreshing. If he did criticize or demean other people outside of confessionals, it was very rare. Perhaps he and an ally would share a private laugh that so-and-so was an idiot, but I don't even remember that happening. In fact, there were one or two occasions when someone else demeaned him to his face, and I recall Russell firing back, but with considerable restraint.

When I think of "mean and nasty" Survivor players, Russell never comes to mind. No, I think of jerks like that gay, rich, southern kid who got medi-vacced out of the game a few seasons ago. And the big, black marine who got medi-vacced earlier this season. And several others over the years that just spew invective at anyone who looks at them cross-eyed.

Julia, I know you and I will never agree on the virtues/vices of Russell Hantz. But that's okay. :) I like hearing your perspective, which I respect, even though it's at odds with mine.

The Wook

Yeah, I was talking about the interviews, mostly - there were a few times I thought he went off on people, but again, I don't remember the details. And yeah, there have been people more likely to be mean to others faces, it's just that I had to watch R talk about people that way and I just can't stand hearing that sort of nastiness.

I know we disagree on this issue and I wouldn't even have gone into all that if you hadn't asked why Russell was detestable but Cochran wasn't. :p

Cochran has been manipulating the behind the scenes issues from the first third of the show on when he had the ability to. He has made some awesome power plays and I have to say if anyone has truly played the game it has been him. Up to this point he has done so with very little public challenge and out of the main view of the other self appointed power brokers. But this move was one in which he popped himself up in the views of others solidly to do so and it was a right move to do as he was starting to be targeted by Brenda who was gaining reputation with the others even thought it was a darker type of move for him to pull off. He was being targeted and Dawn said herself he was the next threat after Eddie, knowing he has a good chance at the end. Now it becomes a question of if he can form a solid final alliance and take himself and a few others to the end. Erik is still a flake, Sheri is a good sacrificial goat and along with Dawn who has broken down too much is also a good sacrificial goat to align with to the end. Eddie has strong ties with the jury and is a threat.
My view is that its Chocran's game to win if he can sugar coat the reasons he did make the moves he did to win the game. He played the game as well as any other scheming past players and did so with a somewhat nice manner consider the game is what it is. Especially entering in as the underdog, who he was teamed up with at times, it has been an impressive game for him.

Agreed - his move against Brenda was nothing but self-protection. And that's right about what Dawn said - she's not a strong alliance with him either - nobody is, really. There really aren't any left! Everyone is really playing for themselves at this point

I agree also that Sheri could not win this but I'm not sure Cochran could take the final win from Erik or Dawn... both of them have friends on the other side and while they have flaked out, you never know at the end what is going to move people.

Good observation about Eddie's ties with the jury - if he wins individual immunities, he'll take this.

So, my guess is that if Cochran wants to secure his win, he has to take Sheri.

Question not related to winning: Why is nobody fishing? That is such a big part of the game on other seasons and obviously Erik is starving enough to risk his life to climb a tree...

Question not related to winning: Why is nobody fishing? That is such a big part of the game on other seasons and obviously Erik is starving enough to risk his life to climb a tree...
I wonder this very thing every time Erik whines about being hungry!!

Good question, don't know. Didn't they win fishing gear after some challenge earlier in the season??

As for Cochran's chances if he makes final 3, it'll be interesting to see how articulate and compelling his argument is that he should win the million.

The biggest, and for me, most frustrating peculiarity of Russell Hantz, was his complete incompetence in arguing his case before the Jury. This master player, who was never at a loss for words, announcing his plans to us in his confessionals, and then in the game, bending the will of others to fulfill those plans. He was blunt, direct, said exactly what he wanted to say--an extremely effective and persuasive communicator, whether one likes him or not. But when in front of the Jury, or even given the mic at a Reunion show, he freezes. So strange, because he never had any trouble expressing himself in TC during his seasons...until he had to address the Juries. This ineptitude, along with consecutive sour-grapes Juries, is why he isn't a two-time champion.

I doubt Cochran will freeze. But he might fumble. Several others have, when it came time to sell their gameplay to the Jury. Cochran, the Harvard grad, always equipped with a pithy quote, might be foiled when faced with the Jury, by his own humility.

The Wook

Last edited:
I think Russell is an effective manipulator but terrible at the social game. For all his plans, manipulations, etc. when it came to the social game he totally dropped the ball. It certainly seemed Russell was genuinely confused as to why he didn't win. Being the smartest guy in the room will only get you as far on Survivor as it translates through your season's particular social dynamic.
I've always felt there is no one way to win Survivor. Russell seemed stuck on his one strength which is the ability to manipulate people to a certain point. Once Russell hits that point his game seems to go in the toilet.

As for this year's final three I think Sherri and Dawn are a shoe-in. The remaining players should want to go to the jury with those two. Neither of which I think deserve to win. The third position still feels open to anyone.
If Cochran makes it to the jury I think he is smart enough to know when to push and when to keep his mouth shut. I tend to enjoy the jury rant for all the sour grape juice that is spewed! It's a time when everyone who plotted and schemed cry about being plotted and schemed against!! :) I love the loser's rant.

I think Russell is an effective manipulator but terrible at the social game. For all his plans, manipulations, etc. when it came to the social game he totally dropped the ball. It certainly seemed Russell was genuinely confused as to why he didn't win. Being the smartest guy in the room will only get you as far on Survivor as it translates through your season's particular social dynamic.
I've always felt there is no one way to win Survivor. Russell seemed stuck on his one strength which is the ability to manipulate people to a certain point. Once Russell hits that point his game seems to go in the toilet.

I agree with this 100%.

There was nothing "low" about taking her out when they did. It was a classic Survivor blindside. She was good at blending into the background for a while, but now she was starting to stand out as a real player, so if you don't seize an opportunity to take someone like that out when you can, then you'll be the one going home.

It was. She gave up her time with her family in order for them to spend time with theirs and then after they thanked her, stabbed her in the back. That went a littler farther than most Survivor blindsides. I think in the future no one is going to give up that chance. It will be like when they gave away a car. If you took the car then you got voted out. So now they will all be nice and thank you profusely for giving up your time with your family and then vote you out for any goodwill you might get from a nice act. If any Survivor called for a throwaway vote. IMO it would be this one. I would give it to Dawn, who did nothing, over any one of them. I would say that that was THE dirtiest move in Survivor so far.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back