Studio Scale (:p) AT-AT

one more... open in new window for big

tippetatat.jpg

and I've never seen this huge one!
bigatat.jpg

now one of you crafty people wanna help me with my broken MR SE? I'm missing an ankle piston! Anyone wanna donate a cast piece? ^_^

Thanks for taking the time to scan and post those, Scottjua! It's great to see these images so clearly. Damn there are a lot of parts in each Walker! I realize we're seeing the parts for all three, but still... Wow.

Hello,

Can anyone please tell the length of a SS AT-AT head (not including the chin cannons or neck tube)? Plus the length and height of the body, not including the butt?

anamorphicWayne :D

AT-AT Lengths.jpg

Hi guys,

The AT-AT V2 is in the work !

I was pretty happy with my first one and it has some pretty cool background story I'll tell you later, but it was not quite right.

This time I'm using photogrammetry to get it as close as possible.

I'd like to thanks Matt and Thorsten to introduced me to photogrammetry and Rhino.

Thanks to Thorst for having working on an early hull from photogrammetry, unfortunatly the solves were not good due to the lack of good ref of the whole model so his model was quite off. But he did an awesome job with what he had at that time and I can't thank him enough, he's a hell of a modeler !

I did not know anything about 3D modeling so I had to start from scratch. I've started by modeling some basic parts for my small Blockade Runner model. It was quite easy, most of the parts were revolved parts.

Then I tried with the AT-AT head. Which was not a good idea, it's quite complicated to make in traditionnal modeling and it's the same in 3D modeling ! When you mostly only know the polylines, curves and the revolve tool, that's not an easy task ! :p
I did manage to learn some tool all along the way and ended up eventually with that :

Not bad but not accurate enough for me and most important, my modeling methods were not good enough to get the parts 3D printed.

So I moved on on the hull ! I thought it would be easy. It was easier than the head and most suitable to learn most of the Rhino tools.

I tried to recreate any flaws of the original pattern/castings I could (warped/crooked/shrunk parts). The original hull is totally out of shape. I straightened my first hull and that's why it doesn't look quite right.

The hull is done and I'm working on the side panels at the moment.

I used my 3D printer to print the hull in 2 halves. The 2 halves are now joined together, on monday I'll sand and smooth the joint and the whole hull then I'll finish to 3D model the side panels and the inside, then get everything 3D printed and glued together. The fun part will start then, gluing kit parts, rescribing the panels lines (I made them on the 3D model and on the 3D prints but I will only use them as a guide to get sharp lines).

More to come soon !

"my version 1 was not accurate enough",..........Monseurtox you are a beast a maniac i say,...how many not so accurate amazing models have ended up in the bin?
If you happen to live next door to Monsieurtox's place it might be worth while to do a trashcan inspection,... there are treasures to be found in there i am sure.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back