Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

I don't know why you chose to take it as an insult. I said not everyone likes the same things. I was just pointing out that Kevin Smith praised the prequels before they were released, and since I do not like the prequels very much, it devalues his opinion as far as Star Wars goes. I didn't insult anyone.

You invalidated the opinions of anyone who likes the PT! That's a little insulting, no? ;) But we are good, I was just pointing that out.

You invalidated the opinions of anyone who likes the PT! That's a little insulting, no? ;) But we are good, I was just pointing that out.

What's wrong with rating someone's opinion lower when it is known you do not share the same likes/dislikes on a certain subject?

I don't like tofu or liver. If those are your favorite foods, I'm probably not going to get restaurant recommendations from you.

The prequels were not as good as the orignals, but they had their moments.

Dual of the fates.
Slave 1 in the rain.
The asteroid belt sequence in AOTC.
The clones boarding the ships at the end of the same.
Some of the mustopha fight.

THey also had some ****ty things like rubber R2 in ROTS, little boy Anakin, and Dick Obi Wan.

For the record I didn't mind Jar Jar, he is actually less annoying than 3PO for the most part.

And at least he wasnt an Ewok.

I concur. Every time then announce "So-and-so has officially joined the cast of Episode VII..." and I don't recognize the names or the faces, I like it more and more.

Exactly! But once you see them, even though you don't know them, they somehow look exactly like they belong in the movie! Maybe I'm projecting or something, I don't know! :lol It just seems that way to me. :)

I was a few months shy of my 9th B-Day in May, 1977, but when I saw the PT, I experienced it through my much younger brothers eyes, he was about the same age as I was when TPM came out. He loved it and so did I.

Holy cow! We're pretty much the same age then. I was eight in May '77 and turned nine on the first day of July. My 46th was last week...

I saw the prequels with people in a range of ages. I was very excited to be visiting that galaxy again, and on the whole I enjoyed the "feeling" of it all again. I can imagine someone in your brother's case that it would have been a much more magical experience. I'm glad you both enjoyed them!

On the topic of whether or not Kevin Smith likes or dislikes the sequels I can only say this - filmmakers are often times very polite when discussing the works of another filmmaker. This may or may not apply to Smith but his public opinion may not necessarily be the whole truth. On the other hand who gives a crap his opinion matters just as little as the rest of the people on the planet.

On the topic of Episode VII itself it will be interesting to see how a positive acceptance of the movie by moviegoers would affect the already somewhat dismal opinion of the prequels. I have a feeling people will be saying "This is how the PT should have been!".

BsDaRpRCIAEtvXZ.jpg
Tattooine in IMAX.

https://mobile.twitter.com/bad_robot

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BsDaRpRCIAEtvXZ.jpg

Last edited:

On the topic of whether or not Kevin Smith likes or dislikes the sequels I can only say this - filmmakers are often times very polite when discussing the works of another filmmaker. This may or may not apply to Smith but his public opinion may not necessarily be the whole truth.

I don't care much for Kevin Smith's stuff, but his hyperbole on this SW7 stuff is a bit beyond "polite!"

On another note, do they have enough time to complete some real kitbashed ILM-style models for filming? Like, say, a new 5-foot Falcon with documented kit parts and blueprints :) Current technology might permit edgier flight scenes and moving parts, such as functioning Falcon engine feathers (getting carried away from watching too many F-14 vids).

For actual flight scenes it would be really impractical to have a real Falcon model, doing it in CG is so much quicker and easier and if done right, will look every bit as good or better than practical. Even with digital compositing it's still limiting and time consuming to film miniatures, using 3D models allows for a lot more freedom since you're not limited to how you can move a physical camera around a model, it allows for much more dynamic shots and the freedom to adjust or change the shots as needed.

For actual flight scenes it would be really impractical to have a real Falcon model, doing it in CG is so much quicker and easier and if done right, will look every bit as good or better than practical. Even with digital compositing it's still limiting and time consuming to film miniatures, using 3D models allows for a lot more freedom since you're not limited to how you can move a physical camera around a model, it allows for much more dynamic shots and the freedom to adjust or change the shots as needed.

Very very true.

People are under the impression that in all cases miniatures/models are better than a computer model. That's just not true. Each has it's own uses and good and bad points.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back