Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

Everything you need to know about Star Destroyers you can learn from playing the X-wing series of PC games.

Yeah, I loved those games and have put untold hours into them, though I'm not sure how much I learned about Star Destroyers! lol! I sorely wish LucasArts would get their thumbs out of their butts, get Lawrence Holland on board and make a new one in the series, but it's looking like X-wing: Alliance (1999) will continue to be the swansong of these famous games...

Since Disney bought Lucasfilm, there has been some hints that a new X-Wing/TIE game is in the pipeline. Kind of funny that LucasArts never listened to the fans, but now Disney (or whoever is licensed to make the games) is acting on what the fans have been asking for.

Since Disney bought Lucasfilm, there has been some hints that a new X-Wing/TIE game is in the pipeline. Kind of funny that LucasArts never listened to the fans, but now Disney (or whoever is licensed to make the games) is acting on what the fans have been asking for.

Help us, Bob Iger. You're our only hope...

Interesting! What hints have been dropped?

... it's looking like X-wing: Alliance (1999) will continue to be the swansong of these famous games...

I unfortunately never played the other games, but I can't count the hours I spent as a member of the Azzameen family... Such a great game...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4

Yeah, I loved those games and have put untold hours into them, though I'm not sure how much I learned about Star Destroyers! lol!

Sure you did! Take out the shield generators fast, keep your speed up, and stay clear of the engine backwash. Easy peasy! :) Well, at least in the first two games... By Alliance, they were considerably tougher.

I sorely wish LucasArts would get their thumbs out of their butts, get Lawrence Holland on board and make a new one in the series, but it's looking like X-wing: Alliance (1999) will continue to be the swansong of these famous games...

They won't.

Until consoles start coming with keyboards AND combat sims get popular again, you won't see another game like the X-wing games. Best you'll get is a console-ish version. Remember Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe? The PC game, I mean. They did another game called Secret Weapons Over Normandy in the early 2000s, and if memory serves, it was more like, say, Blazing Angels.

Personally, my ideal game is a full-on smuggler sim. Mix the best elements of Privateer and X-wing, alongside some first-person on-the-ground action, and allow seamless transition from ground to space. It'd have an economy (because you'd NEED one if you're gonna smuggle...), law enforcement, other planets where you're more free to do as you please, etc., etc.

And it'll never be made. :(

Personally, my ideal game is a full-on smuggler sim. Mix the best elements of Privateer and X-wing, alongside some first-person on-the-ground action, and allow seamless transition from ground to space. It'd have an economy (because you'd NEED one if you're gonna smuggle...), law enforcement, other planets where you're more free to do as you please, etc., etc.

And it'll never be made. :(

Imagine a sort of Grand Theft Falcon. GTA mixed with Privateer and Thief 3. *drool*

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4

I've never been that impressed with GTA and its "open world" gameplay, honestly. Although I only played the first two and fourth game. I don't relish the notion of driving around in the Falcon, shooting womprats for an achievement, ya know?

I'd be thinking closer to, say, The Elder Scrolls, but larger in scope and more detailed. My big gripe with TES games is that they always feel kinda...lonely. I'd want the environment to feel more crowded, more alive. The ship-to-ship combat would be closer to the X-wing games (management of shields, speed, laser recharge, countermeasures, as well as other devices like jammers, cargo dumping capability, etc.

The first person part I'd want to be closer to...hmm...probably the Mass Effect games. Pausable action with sidekicks you can control. Not sure I'd necessarily do the special abilities stuff, but that gets to different issues in game design.

For me, though, the closest I've ever felt to being Han Solo was in the original Privateer game. I'm loaded up with contraband, hauling ass through a system when the local authorities get on my tail and order me to stop for boarding ("boarding" in the game meant flat-out destruction, but whatever). I punch my afterburners to try to outrun them, but they cut out on me and only work intermittently, just as the authorities start catching up with me. They blast my aft shields down, are cutting through my armor and damaging systems...and I just BARELY manage to hit the jump point and jump out of system where they couldn't (for whatever reason) follow me. It was AWESOME, but it could've been even better in a modern game.

Thing is, most of this stuff, or at least what I envision, would require some serious computing power and AI work. And I don't think gaming's quite up to that yet. More to the point, though, there's not much of a mass market for this kind of stuff, unfortunately.

I can't imagine Disney not wanting 3D.

I'd rather they film in 3D like Avatar. I haven't seen a conversion even close to Avatar.

I understand some will not be interested in the 3D version, but for those who are, why not do the best 3D?

And I still want the original Star Wars in 3D, even if it is converted. I need to go down that Death Star trench in 3D!

Last edited:

Until consoles start coming with keyboards AND combat sims get popular again, you won't see another game like the X-wing games. Best you'll get is a console-ish version. Remember Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe? The PC game, I mean. They did another game called Secret Weapons Over Normandy in the early 2000s, and if memory serves, it was more like, say, Blazing Angels.

Along with the X-Wing series of games the Secret Weapons series were some of my favorite games of all time and I'd really love to see an updated version of both series. I liked their combination of realism and arcade simplicity, just enough realism so that you really felt like you were flying whatever your were flying but not so realistic that you had to worry about the million and one things that you'd have to in a more realistic/hard core flight sim.

Interesting! What hints have been dropped?

Here's the only one I could find. The other one directly referenced X-Wing and TIE Fighter, but I can't remember where I saw it. TheForce.net: EA 'Looking At The Old Games' As It Defines The Future Of Star Wars Gaming Specifically this line:

"We didn't toss anything out," Soderlund said in an interview with Polygon's Brian Crecente. "We're looking at the old games. We have access to everything that was done during the LucasArts era. But we do want to take our own stance."

Love the graphics.

And those rules were perfect for the story they were telling in the OT (the story of an oppressed society) They should not apply, IMO, to stories that take place in progressive times (such as the PT - even though they were in the process of going downhill, they just weren't aware of it - and, presumably, the ST - at least in the beginning) except rule #4...i would like a return to more "adult content" than cartoony

Last edited:

A long time ago in a future far,
far away....

I can't imagine Disney not wanting 3D.

I'd rather they film in 3D like Avatar. I haven't seen a conversion even close to Avatar.

I understand some will not be interested in the 3D version, but for those who are, why not do the best 3D?

And I still want the original Star Wars in 3D, even if it is converted. I need to go down that Death Star trench in 3D!

Yeah, exactly, if people don't want to watch it in 3D then simply go see the 2D version. If they only make a 2D version then the people that want a 3D version... are screwed.

Thanks again Disney for NOT releasing Episodes 2-6 in 3D! :(

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back