Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

My reaction to the news that Disney bought Lucasfilm and announced Episode VII was very similar to what many others experienced: Is this a hoax? Is april 1st late this year? It's true? Maybe the mayas were right and the world is coming to an end...

Although I told myself that Lucas set the bar really low with the prequels and it would be very hard to make it even worse, that simply wasn't enough to get me excited about a new SW movie. Then I followed the daily updates on which directors wouldn't direct and in most cases was relieved that many fan favorites weren't asked or refused.

Finally J.J. was announced to direct and while at first I didn't really have an opinion about that choice, the more I think about it the more I appreciate it. While unsurprisingly most think about Star Trek first when they hear J.J., all I can think about in this regard (as others have mentioned before) is

Super 8.

That's what a movie looks like when he is paying homage to something he loves. It was amazing to see how well he captured that "spielbergian" feel. Super 8 is what makes me very optimistic that Episode VII will at the very least "feel" a lot more like SW than the bloody PT.

I also like J.J.'s approach to always keep the exact content of his projects a secret. Even if the PT had been a cinematic masterpiece, the nature of it being a sequel didn't leave any room for speculation on how it all might end. Episode VII is the undiscovered country, I don't want to be spoiled to death before seing it.

There is clear evidence that I'm beginning to be really excited: Listened to the scores of all three SW movies for the first time in years, took my SW books from the bookshelf to page through, searched for SW props and collectibles, thought about revisiting that dream I had at an age long long ago of building a fullsize speeder bike...

Here is what I think we'll see: CG spaceships, at least some real creaturework (enhanced by CG), many real sets, camerawork that has next to nothing in commen with Star Trek.

The only thing I'd humbly ask to see content wise are Jedi KNIGHTS. One of the gazillion things I hate about the PT is that instead of knights we got Jedi monks...

Final thought: A lot of people will hate Episode VII no matter what. It's been 36 years since the original Star Wars and after two trilogies, countless books and comics, games and animated TV shows, SW today means a lot of different things to a lot of different people. It is simply impossible to please everyone. And to my understanding, not even the first sequel was received all that well back in the day. The only question is, will there be as many haters as the PT has, that passionately **** into every thread where people who loved it try to discuss, just to reassure everyone of their distaste for it. Don't get me wrong, apart from a couple of neat designs I can't stand the PT either, I just never got why others who disliked it feel the need to express their hate at every occasion.

Last edited:

I had the same kind of reaction when it was first announced. Disbelief. The fact that this is even happening is still sort of surreal to me. And as indifferent as I was about J J Abrams being announced as the director, the more I think about it, the more excited I am for this new film.

I think as fans we sometimes set impossible standards for these things which will never be met. That's not to say that I can ever love the PT, but I suppose my strong distaste for them only proves how much the stories and characters of that world have deeply effected me. I know it must sound so cheesy in a way, but what can I say? Mythology resonates with people in a very profound way.

I just hope that these new films are entertaining additions to the existing films, and that they have characters that I care about and can root for. In the end that's all we can honestly expect from these. Hopefully in an age where there are no surprises, we might just have one or two in store for us in terms of story arcs. If J J and Disney can pull THAT off, then they might just have another hit on their hands. I think of the big reveal in Empire. If they can keep the secrets locked up until we see it in the theater? How awesome would that be?

I think about the saying, "you can't go home again". But perhaps we can come close.

I've always had a policy of "don't watch/read anything regarding the upcoming film" so that I remain surprised. It would be nice to have a GOOD surprise regarding Star Wars for a change. :lol

As soon as anything official starts coming out aside from who's working on it I'll be right out of this thread.

There is clear evidence that I'm beginning to be really excited: Listened to the scores of all three SW movies for the first time in years, took my SW books from the bookshelf to page through, searched for SW props and collectibles, thought about revisiting that dream I had at an age long long ago of building a fullsize speeder bike...

QUOTE]

All of those are symptomatic of a resurgence of "SW Fever"...:lol

I've always had a policy of "don't watch/read anything regarding the upcoming film" so that I remain surprised. It would be nice to have a GOOD surprise regarding Star Wars for a change. :lol

As soon as anything official starts coming out aside from who's working on it I'll be right out of this thread.

Myself as well. What wasn't ruined for me in the production itself, I ruined by constantly feeding at the update trough. I won't be making that mistake this time around...

I hear you. I just mean I hope they can keep the production under super tight wraps so that no major spoilers get out.

As much as I can't wait to see what they do, it certainly would be nice to be surprised.

I hear you. I just mean I hope they can keep the production under super tight wraps so that no major spoilers get out.

As much as I can't wait to see what they do, it certainly would be nice to be surprised.

Doctor Who has shown it's entirely possible. They can keep the information in if they really want to. Don't allow leaks, don't release 2000 images ahead of time, don't do 7 trailers.

Frankly, i think they shouldn't show a damn thing and not even have sneak previews or advance screenings. It opens the same day for everyone.

Let's not set those expectations that high man! :lol

I would argue that would be literally impossible.

I know, you're right. Different era, a lot older "me"...

BUT, the caveat I can throw into this scenario, as we've
all said here once or twice thus far, is that it HAS to be
head and shoulders above what we've had for the last fourteen
years! :lol

Let's not set those expectations that high man! :lol

I would argue that would be literally impossible.
:thumbsup I was five, I don't think I'll ever recapture that magic, my re-watch last night, is the closest I've come so far;) ...building a lightsaber while watching the Original Star Wars with my daughter, that is Magic!:cool
That said, I'm hoping to come out of the new film (7) feeling like I just saw something long ago in a galaxy far, far away...in 2 hours I'm going back there. ;) :devil:cool

:thumbsup I was five, I don't think I'll ever recapture that magic, my re-watch last night, is the closest I've come so far;) ...building a lightsaber while watching the Original Star Wars with my daughter, that is Magic!:cool
That said, I'm hoping to come out of the new film (7) feeling like I just saw something long ago in a galaxy far, far away...in 2 hours I'm going back there. ;) :devil:cool

Even though I can remember them all clearly, Empire resonates with me much more. I was eleven, almost twelve, and that time for me, with friends in tow at the theater, seems more indelibly etched for whatever reason. Very good times, a very great movie.

Some of you failed this round of fun, just so you know. That is why I love this place so much. Most everyone in here has a good sense of humor about everything.

Yes, that is how you learn things. But putting "just so you know" is kinda a dick thing to do. Like you are stating that you are better than them in a sense. Bad Form..Bad form ol'chap.

Just wondering about something...If the Queen of England ( who isn't really the true throne holder.story for another day or look it up) called the Jedi & Sith as Jedis & siths. would that be the true way of saying and spelling it? Cause it would be The Queens English. Thus being the true language of what we all speak. Ok people speak other languages, but you know what I am saying. So if you correct her on how to say it would be in bad taste / form.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back