Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release) (Spoilers)

If it's a stunt saber with some kind of functioning blade it likely related to that.

I know what you mean, but when any of us can buy a dueling saber with EVERYTHING located inside the hilt, why would a multi-million dollar movie production have to use something sooo obvious & out of place on a saber that's being shown on promotional materials too?

Didn't we read that sabers with light and sound effects were being used in set to heighten the sense of realism for the actors?

Yes we did, but I'm still not seeing how any of those things would require an inch long antennae, wire, clip, or anything at all would need to be added to a GRAFLEX.

Other than the gap at the emitter, he could be using a MR Luke ESB, & get both sound & light without any additional greeblies.

I recall MakingStarWars.net mentioning that the DP could adjust the brightness of the blades on a per-shot basis to get the exact right amount of illumination they wanted. The antenna might be related to that.

Didn't we read that sabers with light and sound effects were being used in set to heighten the sense of realism for the actors?

Yes we did, but I'm still not seeing how any of those things would require an inch long antennae, wire, clip, or anything at all would need to be added to a GRAFLEX.

Other than the gap at the emitter, he could be using a MR Luke ESB, & get both sound & light without any additional greeblies.

There's also the distance of the grips from the end of the saber. They're not consistent with the shot of the one handed to Leia.

I'm really not trying to argue here, It's just that I've not heard any satisfactory answer for the discrepancies, unless it's just bad movie making, & if they went so far as to insist on authentic GRAFLEXes when they could have had replicas...

Lazy continuity just doesn't jibe with me.:unsure

You're seriously this bent out of shape about a stunt prop not 100% matching the hero? Better not watch any of the prior Star Wars movies, then! Your head will explode.

As for why an antenna -- we don't know what they're doing, but it must require either sending a signal to or receiving a signal from the LED bladed stunt. I was mulling over this very issue with a friend the other day, and we agreed there's a good possibility that the nickel-played brass of the Graflex body could act as a Faraday cage that would interfere with RF signals. Hence the need to drill a hole in it and have an antenna sticking out. It's the same reason that, say, the iPod Touch has a plastic opening on the all-metal back so that WiFi signals can get in and out.

You're seriously this bent out of shape about a stunt prop not 100% matching the hero? Better not watch any of the prior Star Wars movies, then! Your head will explode.

As for why an antenna -- we don't know what they're doing, but it must require either sending a signal to or receiving a signal from the LED bladed stunt. I was mulling over this very issue with a friend the other day, and we agreed there's a good possibility that the nickel-played brass of the Graflex body could act as a Faraday cage that would interfere with RF signals. Hence the need to drill a hole in it and have an antenna sticking out. It's the same reason that, say, the iPod Touch has a plastic opening on the all-metal back so that WiFi signals can get in and out.

I was honestly not torn up over the issue. I was just trying to express a different idea that I'd had. If it was just in a part of the trailer, I'd think nothing about , but it's seen in the standees & other promo material, too.

Just wanting to start a conversation about it. No worries either way.:thumbsup

I know what you mean about the continuity issues. I did an Obi ROTS kit last year, so I went hunting for some good images so I could get the finishes looking right. When I saw one of the most iconic shots of him from the movie, I saw he was using a stunt, with a smooth grenade section. Now it cannot be unseen.

Sorry again if I came across as confrontational.

The eyes have it? So we've gone from Rey is totally a Clan member and not a Skywalker to "damn straight shes a Skywalker!".

I think you're reading into this a bit. There wasn't anything in that trailer to intimate that she's a Skywalker. The fact that Maz is saying that she's lived long enough to see the same eyes in different people--and that she knows your eyes--doesn't say anything like "I know you're a Skywalker". That may be what you want it to mean, and so it seems that way to you. But it's far from a confirmation of such... that dialog could be referring to lots of things. It may mean that in her long life she has seen "that look" in others' eyes before (whatever that may be) perhaps a wounded look, a wanderer's look, the look of a Force User, etc... who knows. But that little snippet is not a confirmation of lineage at all.

I think you're reading into this a bit. There wasn't anything in that trailer to intimate that she's a Skywalker. The fact that Maz is saying that she's lived long enough to see the same eyes in different people--and that she knows your eyes--doesn't say anything like "I know you're a Skywalker". That may be what you want it to mean, and so it seems that way to you. But it's far from a confirmation of such... that dialog could be referring to lots of things. It may mean that in her long life she has seen "that look" in others' eyes before (whatever that may be) perhaps a wounded look, a wanderer's look, the look of a Force User, etc... who knows. But that little snippet is not a confirmation of lineage at all.

"I have lived long enough to see the same eye's in different people. I see your eye's. I know your eye's" actually makes me less inclined to think she is implying "Hey, I know your folk and you look just like them!". Maz is a Force mystic and I think she see's The Force in people.

I don't know how you watched originals, because the saber hilts were different in different scenes/shots through those original films if you watch closely enough.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know how you watched originals, because the saber hilts were different in different scenes/shots through those original films if you watch closely enough. There are continuity problems in EVERY film.

There's also the distance of the grips from the end of the saber. They're not consistent with the shot of the one handed to Leia.

I'm really not trying to argue here, It's just that I've not heard any satisfactory answer for the discrepancies, unless it's just bad movie making, & if they went so far as to insist on authentic GRAFLEXes when they could have had replicas...

Attachments

• Photo on 11-10-15 at 4.22 PM #3.jpg
    Photo on 11-10-15 at 4.22 PM #3.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 105
I like a good saber as much as the next man but not in every thread.....some times you've just got to except theres a time and a place , If we all started using this thread to talk about Iron man helmets It'd be just as out of place.....although with less angst !!

Right. I think she just meant that she recognizes a certain quality to the people by their eyes. I don't think it had anything to do with recognizing someone's family lineage by their eyes.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back