Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release)

The reason I don't want Snoke to be Plagueis is the same reason I don't want Rey to be a Skywalker or a Kenobi (even though it's strongly suggested that this is the case).

I don't like how "interconnected" the prequels were, to the point where teh galaxy felt like either a fishbowl or an entire universe built on the premise of "What a coincidence!" Anakin built C-3PO! Obi-Wan knew R2-D2 who was also Anakin's droid! Chewie and Yoda were roommates at college! Anakin beat up Greedo who was told he'd come to a bad end! GET IT?! WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE.

All that kind of crap just smacks of lazy writing and fanservice without effective dramatic payoff. Look, it's one thing when Indy is in a religious tomb and sees a picture of the Ark of the Covenant, and recognizes it wryly. It's quick, the moment passes, we're moving on. Doing this with characters, though, is just lame.

Snoke should be a new character. Rey should be a new character. New trilogy, new characters. The only reason why I expect Rey will be related to an old character is because it fits with the theme of "These are the stories of the Skywalker family." Which, ok, fine, I get. I'd prefer a less myopic approach, but I guess that's what the anthology films will be.

But Snoke = Plagueis? That's just doofy.

I want Rey to be a Skywalker, but just because this whole trilogy of trilogies is about that family. However I totally agree with you about the prequels, WAY too many coincidences made the universe feel very small. Even the people saying that Finn is Lando's son... Really?

Aside from Rey, they should all be new characters with new lineages IMHO.

A friend of mine just posted this on my FB (partially in response to the prequel idiot):

" I did take exception to people calling Episode 7 a ‘safe’ movie compared to the prequels.

I know Lucas was pigeonholed by having to fit with the original movies, but what risks did the prequels take? The only things I can think of would be incorporating a fully CGI character in Jar Jar (even if the character itself is a dud, it was executed well for the time on a tech level) and having Anakin kill children. Maybe adding a mystery subplot in Attack of the Clones, but that was so half assed and incomplete I wouldn’t give any credit for that.

As for TFA, the plot fit nicely in the Star Wars mold, but I don’t think anyone was expecting the first in this new series to be a radical deconstruction of the Star Wars mythos. You're making a mass appeal blockbuster, of course it's not going to be the Cremaster Cycle in space. That doesn’t mean the movie was safe.

A safe movie wouldn’t have taken the hero of the original movies and just had him show up in the last 30 seconds without saying a word. Brutally killing arguably the most beloved character in the franchise doesn’t seem safe. Making the villain come off as more of a petulant teen school shooter rather than an ultimate badass isn’t safe. Hell, the three new leads are female, African American and Hispanic. That shouldn’t be a radical idea but there’s a vocal minority that isn’t too happy with that. They could have played it safe and said “Let’s get Chris Pratt, another white guy and some other chick to tag along as a third wheel.” "

Love this guy.

The reason I don't want Snoke to be Plagueis is the same reason I don't want Rey to be a Skywalker or a Kenobi (even though it's strongly suggested that this is the case).

I don't like how "interconnected" the prequels were, to the point where teh galaxy felt like either a fishbowl or an entire universe built on the premise of "What a coincidence!" Anakin built C-3PO! Obi-Wan knew R2-D2 who was also Anakin's droid! Chewie and Yoda were roommates at college! Anakin beat up Greedo who was told he'd come to a bad end! GET IT?! WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE.

All that kind of crap just smacks of lazy writing and fanservice without effective dramatic payoff. Look, it's one thing when Indy is in a religious tomb and sees a picture of the Ark of the Covenant, and recognizes it wryly. It's quick, the moment passes, we're moving on. Doing this with characters, though, is just lame.

Snoke should be a new character. Rey should be a new character. New trilogy, new characters. The only reason why I expect Rey will be related to an old character is because it fits with the theme of "These are the stories of the Skywalker family." Which, ok, fine, I get. I'd prefer a less myopic approach, but I guess that's what the anthology films will be.

But Snoke = Plagueis? That's just doofy.

Beyond that, trying to shoe horn Plagueis into this undermines the power of the story of Palpatine and his becoming Sidious. To craft this film they have had to alter perceptions about a lot of what we thought coming out of the OT to make an interesting story, there is no reason to include Plagueus being dead and being a Muun s per GL in TFA.

Given how long Star Wars didn't feel like Star Wars... *heh* I get what you're saying. In this case, however, I think it's a familiarity the series needed.

--Jonah

Here's some good articles that I've seen posted and shared by others that talk specifically about the issues we discussed. This quote is relative to what we were saying:

"Nor does it mean that movies should never reference earlier works and influences. After all, as Slate’s Forrest Wickman wrote last week, the original Star Wars is in many ways just a dense and cleverly layered collage of references to earlier movies. The Force Awakens, by contrast, often feels as if its only reference points come from the world of Star Wars itself."

http://http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/cover_story/2015/12/star_wars_is_a_pastiche_how_george_lucas_combined_flash_gordon_westerns.html

http://www.vox.com/2015/12/21/10445616/star-wars-hollywood-nostalgia-problem

I am really warming up to the idea of Rey being Ben Kenobi's granddaughter. I think it provides some beautiful symmetry to the story and opens up some great backstory to go back and revisit his life post ROTS in various media.

I want Rey to be a Skywalker, but just because this whole trilogy of trilogies is about that family. However I totally agree with you about the prequels, WAY too many coincidences made the universe feel very small. Even the people saying that Finn is Lando's son... Really?

Exactly. The whole "And Finn is Lando's son!!" thing is exactly the kind of "fan-fiction" level myopia that plagues the PT. I get that the hardcore fans appreciate that so and so is connected to such and such because it's basically a shibboleth for their fandom. It's a wink and a grin at the fans that acknowledges them and their special knowledge.

It's also crap storytelling.

Rey being a Skywalker/Kenobi (Kenobiwalker?) I'm...ok with, but only insofar as "The Star Wars Episodes are about the Skywalker family." Fine. I'll give 'em that one. But beyond that, give it a damn rest. Not everyone is connected to everyone else by birth or circumstances.

Aside from Rey, they should all be new characters with new lineages IMHO.

A friend of mine just posted this on my FB (partially in response to the prequel idiot):

" I did take exception to people calling Episode 7 a ‘safe’ movie compared to the prequels.

I know Lucas was pigeonholed by having to fit with the original movies, but what risks did the prequels take? The only things I can think of would be incorporating a fully CGI character in Jar Jar (even if the character itself is a dud, it was executed well for the time on a tech level) and having Anakin kill children. Maybe adding a mystery subplot in Attack of the Clones, but that was so half assed and incomplete I wouldn’t give any credit for that.

As for TFA, the plot fit nicely in the Star Wars mold, but I don’t think anyone was expecting the first in this new series to be a radical deconstruction of the Star Wars mythos. You're making a mass appeal blockbuster, of course it's not going to be the Cremaster Cycle in space. That doesn’t mean the movie was safe.

A safe movie wouldn’t have taken the hero of the original movies and just had him show up in the last 30 seconds without saying a word. Brutally killing arguably the most beloved character in the franchise doesn’t seem safe. Making the villain come off as more of a petulant teen school shooter rather than an ultimate badass isn’t safe. Hell, the three new leads are female, African American and Hispanic. That shouldn’t be a radical idea but there’s a vocal minority that isn’t too happy with that. They could have played it safe and said “Let’s get Chris Pratt, another white guy and some other chick to tag along as a third wheel.” "

Love this guy.

Well said.

That aside, I think it's fair to say that the new film is intentionally commercial in a way that the original film was not. So, if that's what someone means by "safe," ok, I'll give you that one.

Here's the thing I've come to realize about TFA: I am not the sole audience for this film.

I'm a hardcore Star Wars fan. I could write half of what's on Wookieepedia. If there is bar trivia on Star Wars, no one can touch me. I have a replica DL-44 (made by Bobadebt). I have an original Graflex 3-cell flashgun (as well as the Graflite one, and a Heiland 5-cell). I have old Star Wars toys I played with in my basement, and POTF toys in sealed boxes as well.

And I am not the sole audience for this film. The film was designed to appeal to a wide array of people including but not limited to folks like me. But to do that, it had to appear familiar to people who don't know Star Wars the way I do. That means bringing back the old crew. It means big planet-sized super weapons. It means X-wings and potential Jedi with mysterious lineages. It means the Millenium Falcon and TIE Fighters, and stormtroopers and a pseudo Empire.

As much as people say "I wanted it to be different," I challenge just about anyone here to come up with a story that is at once familiar AND different for longtime hardcore fans AND people with only a casual familiarity with the original 3 films, and all of which can be financially and critically successful.

Could it be done? Yeah, possibly. But it's very, very difficult.

I think this film -- valid criticisms about overly familiar plotlines aside -- succeeded mightily in acting as a bridge to the future. It was familiar enough to bring along the people who are only sorta knowledgable about Star Wars, and different enough that it didn't just feel like a total rehash.

Beyond that, trying to shoe horn Plagueis into this undermines the power of the story of Palpatine and his becoming Sidious. To craft this film they have had to alter perceptions about a lot of what we thought coming out of the OT to make an interesting story, there is no reason to include Plagueus being dead and being a Muun s per GL in TFA.

Yup. The Plagueis thing is the kind of connection that only the hardcore fans would come up with, because only they even have a freakin' clue as to who the hell he is. Nobody else remembers "the tale of the wise Darth Plagueis" from ROTS because most people probably don't really remember much about ROTS at all beyond some images and maybe an action scene or two. Bear in mind, these are the same people who can't really tell the differences between the SEs and the OOT. They only know Han Shot First because people keep telling them that.

Making Snoke Plagueis is the same kind of "Finn is Lando's son" nonsense that only serves to hold the franchise back. *****, people complain about recycling plot points, but apparently nobody cares if the Star Wars universe has only one black family in it. Oh, wait. I forgot Ice Cream Maker Guy and the black pilot who gets killed at the end of ROTJ. Clearly, Finn is related to one of them because that's just how big the Star Wars universe is. :rolleyes

- - - Updated - - -

I am really warming up to the idea of Rey being Ben Kenobi's granddaughter. I think it provides some beautiful symmetry to the story and opens up some great backstory to go back and revisit his life post ROTS in various media.

I've mostly come around to that, too. I like the idea of there being a LOT more to Ben than met the eye.

The only thing that would bug me about that is that throughout the entire OT that means there was another Kenobi running around somewhere and Ben/Yoda weren't trying to get that Kenobi to help them out? Help Luke out? Do anything?

The only thing that
would bug me about that is that throughout the entire OT that means there was another Kenobi running around somewhere and Ben/Yoda weren't trying to get that Kenobi to help them out? Help Luke out? Do anything?

Just because there is another Kenobi does not mean they can use the force !
The Jedi took a child from a family to train there it is not like they came across force family's or something. Apparently that is reserved for the Skywalker's only.
Also just because Kenobi guides rey to the saber and communicates with her does not mean they have to be family .

Now I am starting to realize why some of you can not even consider the notion of plagueis.

He is from the prequels!

I know it means nothing to anyone but in what Disney has changed from GL approved canon to Disney legends plagues created Anakin.

Don't count me in that reckoning, I'm not adverse to Plagueis because he is from the PT, I actually liked the idea but when Pablo became so engaged in knocking it down I moved in and see the reasoning to not go down that road.

Last edited:
The only thing that would bug me about that is that throughout the entire OT that means there was another Kenobi running around somewhere and Ben/Yoda weren't trying to get that Kenobi to help them out? Help Luke out? Do anything?

I get that but because the story opportunity is so interesting and new, I'm willing to forgo my own predisposed head canon and let them show me a new path.

Rewatching last week with my feeling that Rey is Kenobi's granddaughter locked it for me. It's a great through story for all 9... The two old guys who fought to the death in the original Star Wars, now have their grandchildren settling the score.

And that last scene clinched it for me... The second time a Kenobi has handed Luke Anakin's Saber... but this time not to train, but to BE trained.

I get that but because the story opportunity is so interesting and new, I'm willing to forgo my own predisposed head canon and let them show me a new path.

Ultimately, I think this is the real key to being able to enjoy the new films. You have to be willing to open yourself up to the possibility that what you believed about the Star Wars universe for a long time is...a little different. Not radically different (well, unless your "head canon" is the EU books and such, I suppose), but maybe not exactly what you always just assumed.

From what I gather, the Story Group is pretty committed to ensuring the internal consistency of the material that's created moving forward (e.g., no retconning old established fact, no stepping on the toes of some other newly established fact). The quality of material produced across all media may vary, but I think it's pretty safe to assume that the plot points and character details will at least be internally consistent rather than contradicting themselves.

I'm going to offer you a piece of advice because you're relatively
new here and may not be as familiar with the general sense of decorum here on the RPF.

Generally speaking, it's not going to win you any friends if you directly compare people who are disdainful of a particular set of science fiction films to the virulently racist proponents of Jim Crow.

Next time, take a moment and reconsider what you wrote before you click "post" in an effort to be insulting. Also, maybe try to play the ball and not the man, so to speak.

I understand and don't mean to imply the same viciousness of hateing a movie to a person but same time can't think of any other comparison that makes sense . I guess for PC reasons I Will delete the post to try to keep the peace.

Also was not trying to be insulting but understand I suppose.
as I " feel insulted" by others when they talk about how if you like the prequels at all you are obviously an idiot . and you opinions are therefore nill and void and you should never be heard from again. But as that is a popular view it is never challenged.

Last edited:
I understand and don't means to imply the same viciousness of hateing a movie to a person but same time can't think of any other comparison that makes sense . I guess for PC reasons I Will delete the post to try to keep the peace.

It's not even a PC thing. Just sort of a common courtesy thing.

I get what you're trying to say (although I don't agree with it), but, you know, maybe find another way to say it? One that's less potentially incendiary?

That said, I appreciate the reasonableness of your response. I'll edit my post as well, after you edit yours, and we can just drop the whole thing.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back