Star Wars OT unaltered potential DVD release news...

What I've seen from digging around online suggests they did, yeah. I'm telling you, they CAN do really good work. I have the Bond 50 and North by Northwest remasters, and both look terrific. The Bond stuff in particular looks like a new film. I mean, granted, it's shot on old film stock, but it's completely clean and clear without appearing (to my eye) overprocessed.

The job that was done for Lucas in '04, though, was admittedly weak. I gather they were on a VERY tight turnaround, and Lucas was in charge of much of the technical changes (e.g. "embrightening" everything with changes to color timing, oversharpening the picture, redoing sabres and other digital elements, flipping the rear audio channels, etc.). Lowry basically did what the client requested.

Seriously, if you doubt their capacity to do a good job, check out the restored version of Doctor No. Or compare the DVD and Blu-Ray versions of North by Northwest. It'll surprise you.

This is why I say characterizing this as a "boycott" is silly. None of us, either individually or collectively, is going to "force" Disney to bend to our will. There are, quite simply, too many people happy to buy whatever has the logo on it for a true boycott to ever work. So, better to just make an individual consumer decision without regard to long term consequences. Me, I see no point in buying blu-rays of three films I don't really like in their current state, much less an additional 3 films I'll likely never watch. Why drop $40-90 on that? So, I haven't bought 'em. But like I said, I haven't bought a copy of Steel Magnolias or the latest Dora the Explorer release, either. And I'm not buying 18 lbs of textured vegan protein, a My Little Pony duvet cover, or a pet hamster. None of this is because I'm "boycotting" any of this stuff. It's just because I don't particularly want to own any of this. Plus I don't own a duvet to cover in the first place, and my cat would probably terrorize the hamster. But I digress.

Disney will do what they want. I suspect they'll EVENTUALLY release some archival version, but in the meantime, I'm not gonna spend my money on something I don't want. That's just a waste of cash.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back