Star Wars OT unaltered potential DVD release news...

If the special editions were never utilized again, and the unaltered trilogy in HD was all that was available, who would complain? Anyone?

What if the restored unaltered original trilogy was all that was ever released on any format from this point on, all that was ever on cable, or ever re-released into theaters or converted to 3D?

If Disney is going to "preserve" Star Wars, and I think they should, wouldn't they want to preserve what made the franchise what it is today?

When the next box set comes out, probably Episodes 1-9, let those special editions sit in the back on some sort of special features disc. Put the real Star Wars front and center.

My true hope is that JJ wants Episode VII to look more like the unaltered versions, and so is advising Disney they need restoring.

I agree whole heartedly with your first paragraph. I would suggest, though, that if Disney does this at some point, it won't be motivated by a desire to appease "fans who lost their patience" it will be based purely on economics.

Oh no doubt money is the driving force but Disney is going to do the restoration at some point anyway so why not release it? Appeasing some fans will simply be a pleasant side effect.

Unless Lucas did something really devious, like keeping no other restored film than the SEs, then they should have a the restored clean film to work from. They cleaned an original print, so I can't see you'd do that and not save it, unaltered, then add the SE stuff on it. I'd be happy with the new ending, minus Hayden and the stupid Jabba song, and the original soundtrack I was used to growing up. Luke should not say "You were lucky to get out of there" or whatever crap he says now on Dagobah when R2 is eaten!

Unless Lucas did something really devious, like keeping no other restored film than the SEs, then they should have a the restored clean film to work from. They cleaned an original print, so I can't see you'd do that and not save it, unaltered, then add the SE stuff on it. I'd be happy with the new ending, minus Hayden and the stupid Jabba song, and the original soundtrack I was used to growing up. Luke should not say "You were lucky to get out of there" or whatever crap he says now on Dagobah when R2 is eaten!

At the very least we know that Congress has a clean print of the original ESB...

I agree whole heartedly with your first paragraph. I would suggest, though, that if Disney does this at some point, it won't be motivated by a desire to appease "fans who lost their patience" it will be based purely on economics.

Well, of course. that's been my point. I think you can potentially make an economic case for it, but the question is whether you can do so right this second. It would seem to make more sense to, for example, hold off on the release of any such restoration until at least shortly before or around the same time of Ep. VII. And that's the absolute earliest. There's still the very real consideration of whether it's worthwhile to do so in the BD format, or whether it's worth waiting to see if, for example, 2K sets catch on. Or if and when 4K sets do. Then there's the issue that disc-based formats are -- at least from what I gather -- viewed as a dying format, and meanwhile the broadband infrastructure that's out there isn't QUITE at the point to support higher res streaming. I'm actually not even sure if "HD" streaming is actually 1080p; it might just be 720p, in which case, why bother restoring it right this second?

If the special editions were never utilized again, and the unaltered trilogy in HD was all that was available, who would complain? Anyone?

What if the restored unaltered original trilogy was all that was ever released on any format from this point on, all that was ever on cable, or ever re-released into theaters or converted to 3D?

If Disney is going to "preserve" Star Wars, and I think they should, wouldn't they want to preserve what made the franchise what it is today?

When the next box set comes out, probably Episodes 1-9, let those special editions sit in the back on some sort of special features disc. Put the real Star Wars front and center.

My true hope is that JJ wants Episode VII to look more like the unaltered versions, and so is advising Disney they need restoring.

Honestly, I doubt too many people would complain, but some of the kids who grew up with the SEs might find it curious. For better or worse, it's important to remember that there IS a generation out there that's never seen anything other than, at best, the crappy LD rips from the 2006 packaging.

I wouldn't count on JJ wanting the new film to "look" like IV-VI, though. Technology has moved so far past it, and if you look at his other work, he's perfectly happy to do massive digital effects. Honestly, as much as the prequels get crap for overusing CGI, I think the real issue was that they weren't also supported by a good story. If the CGI had been what it was, but the story had kicked ass, nobody would've cared that things looked overlit or whathaveyou. It's because the story itself is weak that you start focusing on the details in the visuals.

Even if he did, there are other prints out there that exist. Some of which are surely in good condition. As for Luke's line, that was original. One of the weirdnesses of the OOT is that it's actually not JUST one film. There were different sound mixes released even at the time of initial release. For example, I THINK the "Close the blast doors!" line was actually in one of the original audio mixes for Star Wars. And Luke's "You were lucky to get out of there!" line was as well for ESB. I think the reason we tend to believe otherwise is that we grew up with a particular audio mix on the various VHS editions, so that became the "official liturgy," in a manner of speaking.

So...basically they were doing exactly what we do here? Sheesh. This is why I find it somewhat dubious to listen to these "inside news" sites. Half the time I think they're as reliable as the BSing we do here. :lol

i will retract my official boycott of star wars if they release the original trilogy. take that di$ney!

From my end, I'm not "boycotting" anything -- officially or unofficially. I'm just...not interested in spending money on movies I don't want to watch or own. I'm not buying the Hannah Montana movie either, but I wouldn't say I'm "boycotting" it. :)

From my end, I'm not "boycotting" anything -- officially or unofficially. I'm just...not interested in spending money on movies I don't want to watch or own. I'm not buying the Hannah Montana movie either, but I wouldn't say I'm "boycotting" it. :)

That's the boat I'm in as well. :):thumbsup

Blade Runner was released with multiple versions - there is nothing stopping Star Wars from doing the same. I don't mind the SE's, if only I have the original versions in the same quality. There is simply no reason to hold it back, when Ridley Scott and many others release all versions they've made equally.

Personally, I'd like a bare-bones release to really max up the visual and audio quality of the movies and not have to compress it because of extra features that can go on a separate disc.

I really hope they'll eventually do it and if they put it in a 6-7-disc box-set with the SE's and a special features disc, I would buy it just to have the originals in equal quality or better to every other DVD and BR release these days. The company that restored the movie initially really shouldn't do the work... they make the image look too cartoony on most of what they restore. They should hire the company that did the new restoration on The Terminator BR.

The company that restored the movie initially really shouldn't do the work... they make the image look too cartoony on most of what they restore. They should hire the company that did the new restoration on The Terminator BR.

Lowry Digital did the restoration, and they do TERRIFIC work. They did the restoration of North by Northwest, and all the Bond films in the Bond 50 pack. This website goes into more detail on the Lowry restoration, what they did, what they didn't do, and what they did on orders from LucasFilm.

And actually, from what I can see, Lowry did the remaster of The Terminator, too. They do fantastic work, but you have to actually be given time to do so, and the right direction.

Remastering has come a long way. Look what happened to Star Trek TOS and TNG. I'm still in awe at the quality and that was just crappy TV.

If a Blu-Ray or at least 720 version of the classic 3 comes out at some point, there will be buyers. With all the stir over new Star Wars movies (all shot in 1080 or better if there is such a thing), there will/should be an outcry for the classics to be re-re-re-released.

...Honestly, as much as the prequels get crap for overusing CGI, I think the real issue was that they weren't also supported by a good story. If the CGI had been what it was, but the story had kicked ass, nobody would've cared that things looked overlit or whathaveyou. It's because the story itself is weak that you start focusing on the details in the visuals...
I concur. I still prefer practical effects over CGI, but if the stories, direction, and acting had been stellar (no pun intended) I think most people would simply have accepted the CGI for what it was instead of turning it into another thing to complain about.

Remastering has come a long way. Look what happened to Star Trek TOS...
I'm not sure I'd use that as a "good" example; a lot of older fans (myself included) think the remastered effects are medium-grade video game quality at best, and still prefer the imperfect original effects warts and all.

I'm not sure I'd use that as a "good" example; a lot of older fans (myself included) think the remastered effects are medium-grade video game quality at best, and still prefer the imperfect original effects warts and all.

True, not the best example. I just finished watching them not too long ago so it was the first thing that popped in my head SciFi related. I agree that the 'new' effects were OK for TOS, but they couldn't very well re-do EVEYTHING with brand new fancy explosions, etc. They had to keep it to the original feel. I did however really like the quality of the TNG BluRay. When I saw Best of Both Worlds when it was released in the theater that one night, I thought they did a great job. After all, I was only referring to TV and not movie media. Older, and even newer (non HD), TV shows never present well on high-def TVs so I'm glad something was done lest we keep a CRT TV for watching the old favorites.

Last edited:
...I agree that the 'new' effects were OK for TOS, but they couldn't very well re-do EVEYTHING with brand new fancy explosions, etc. They had to keep it to the original feel...
And they didn't even get that right. When it was originally announced that TOS was going to be remastered, someone on the team made a statement to the effect of, "We're not going to change anything, all we're going to do is faithfully duplicate the original effects shots with CGI." Then suddenly the Enterprise was darker in color and moved like it had no mass in some shots, the Romulan Bird of Prey had uneven hull plating, the Klingon D7 had weird patterns on it's hull, alien ships were completely redesigned, effects shots were completely re-choreographed... I'm glad they stuck to their original plan. :rolleyes

"Kirk shot frst"

With all the stir over new Star Wars movies (all shot in 1080 or better if there is such a thing), there will/should be an outcry for the classics to be re-re-re-released.

Of course's there's better than 1080p: 2K, 4K, 8K.... IMAX :thumbsup

__i_can__t_believe_he__s_gone____by_matt_hadder-d2xv9dw.jpg

Lowry Digital did the restoration, and they do TERRIFIC work. They did the restoration of North by Northwest, and all the Bond films in the Bond 50 pack. This website goes into more detail on the Lowry restoration, what they did, what they didn't do, and what they did on orders from LucasFilm.

And actually, from what I can see, Lowry did the remaster of The Terminator, too. They do fantastic work, but you have to actually be given time to do so, and the right direction.

They did? ******... I've been barking up the wrong tree then. Shame on me... SHAME ON ME! Thanks for the article! :)

If they can do THAT great work on Star Wars as they did on The Terminator... well... then it will be awesome beyond imagination for me.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back