Star Trek TOS Communicator from The Wand Company

So, I've replaced my Diamond Select phaser and communicator with The Wand Company's equipment. You know what we want next!

F4B18A44-E05C-4159-8286-55A1A36C8525_zpsqpuxebgv.jpg

Looking forward to this one!

You can stay here till things blow over, but you will have to fight the Cat for the couch on this one!

I feel a calling. Someone needs to demonstrate what any sensible Trek fan would do the moment this thing is charged. They'd call their wife and pester the **** out of them, demanding they refer to them as, Captain. Then, they'd say, "Okay, hit me back so I can do the flippy thing."

That's whats up here, you can damned well bet on that!

I delayed my own shipment by not calling in the new credit card until yesterday, and mine is showing a delivery date of the first. I'm am sooooo looking forward to being a total geek and answering phone calls at work on it. :)

Good thinkin'...I didn't stop to worry about this one. Hope that works 'cause my communicator is gonna sound dumb as **** playing the theme from Jaws. I was hoping the classic hail was a default thing.

I think you need to download that to the phone so it will come out of the comm. Hopefully someone will verify.

So what does it sound like when a call comes in? Is there a hailing signal ring tone?

If you have an iPhone you have to download the ringtone to your phone or your comm will play the Jaws theme or whatever ringtone your phone is set to. It's an Apple thing. Android users don't need to do this, the hailing beep is the default. Download instructions are here:

http://www.thewandcompany.com/ios/

It's very cool to receive a call. You get the hailing been, flip the antenna open and start talking. It sounds like any speakerphone. When you close the antenna the comm says "communication ended" (or something like that). Making a call is just as cool. A button push activates the voice command function and you tell the comm who to call. Of course your phone needs voice command for this to work. I listened to music and it was "not bad". It didn't seem to sound as good as the iPhone speaker. Right button toggle controls the phones music features such as skip and fast forward.

All of the button pushing options are a little hard to remember and I had to refer back to the instructions often. The moire is silent. If you put your ear right up to it you might hear the motor, but barely. I consider this one of the coolest features. It does stop spinning after 30 seconds but any button push starts it again.

Also, I was surprised how small the comm feels in my hand after handling the DS comm for so many years. It's of course not as fat but is also a bit narrower. The antenna flip takes some getting used to due to the clutch. You really have to give it a hard snap motion to get it opened. It often takes a few tries.

My only criticism is about the buttons. They look and feel like plastic, which is a real contrast to the rest of the metal details. They are very shiny and I wish they had a more dull or brushed finish. I really think these should have been metal but would probably have been hard to produce and added cost. The microphone grill is amazing. Very detailed surface pattern with tiny, TINY holes in it. This must have been really difficult to reproduce.

Last edited:
Jim, Thanks for that info.
I have a DS toy that was converted to a bluetooth speaker. Its pretty cool and was ahead of its time.
but this looks incredible. I am really looking forward to this.

I'm thinking about going to hunt my mail guy down. He's never this late. I am still waiting.

I wonder if he ever stops to to appreciate these are the type of days that help one decide, "Delicious Hickory Farm's Beef Log for Christmas or a firm handshake??" If he robs me of my joy today, I shall respond in kind.

Got mine today. Still charging so I haven't tried yet but the quality is really good. And the charging station uses inductive charging (ie. nothing to plug in). A really nice touch.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back