Star Trek Into Darkness (Pre-release)

I think it looks pretty slick! I have long since put this into a different part of my fandom from classic Trek and enjoyed the first film quite a bit. This looks like a lot if fun.

I just hope they'll wrap up that thingy they left hanging about Vulcan being destroyed at the end of the last movie :unsure

I agree that both ships in the water are the Enterprise but it's obvious CumberKhan is sitting in the command chair of a different ship.

So uninteresting looking. And if is Khan, then pretty sad that the guy couldn't come up with his own plot and had to steal the plot from the only truly great Trek film.

The blatant theft from "Wrath of Khan" is too much. Won't pay a dime for it. When it comes up I'll queue up Khan on Netflix and watch the good version.

OK, having watched both trailers about a dozen times each now I can firmly say that they seem to support both theories of TWOK and WNMHGB:

Hot Blonde in Blue: Dr. Carol Marcus or Dr. Elizabeth Dehner
Bad guy: pissed off superhuman with a vendetta; could be Kahn or Gary Mitchell
Blue clad arm reaching out but blocked by clear barrier from black clad arm: reminiscent of both Spock's death in TWOK but also from Mitchell's last moment of humanity in WNMHGB after he tries to headbutt the forcefield door of his cell. We are just assuming that is Spock and Kirk but, knowing how Abrams/Orci LOVE misdirection that could be any two people wearing blue and black.

Why reboot the entire Trek universe (an re-write the main characters personalities) if you're just going to copy old stories? If Cumberbatch is Khan then I won't even be giving this a glance. Why bother, I've already seen TWOK.

Edit: and if he's Gary Mitchell? Then what... we're expected to believe another accident gives him super powers in this universe as well? Give me a break!

So uninteresting looking. And if is Khan, then pretty sad that the guy couldn't come up with his own plot and had to steal the plot from the only truly great Trek film.

If it is Khan, I'm just wondering why he's even bothering with Earth at all. He was a ruler of a good chunk of it, yes. But when the world overthrew him, he didn't want to stay and fight back. He wanted to leave and start his own. In Space Seed, he didn't want to use the Enterprise to take back Earth. He wanted to use it to take control of a planet who's population would be ruled by him. Cripes, the only time Earth was ever brought up in the Wrath of Khan was when he gloated about ruling over millions of people. The only thing he wanted vengeance towards was Kirk. That's it.

But again, that's only if Benedict is in fact Khan. We'll just have to wait and see.

Admittedly the odds are so stacked against it that it borders on impossible but if this IS an entirely original story; boy are we all going to be confused when it comes out.

Admittedly the odds are so stacked against it that it borders on impossible but if this IS an entirely original story; boy are we all going to be confused when it comes out.

I'm sure it will be explained in the comics. Remember how Nero had not one, but two dedicated comic book series that tried and explain some of the film's biggest plot holes? Like...

- Why does the design of the Narada look like a bunch of gobbled up knifes with all these random tentacles spewing out everywhere that serves no real purpose? Comic Answer: The Narada was equiped with some borg technology. I'll give this one a pass because I like the idea.
- How come no one on Nero's crew expressed any desire to go back to Romulas? Comic Answer: Nero killed them all.
- Even with the deleted scenes showing Nero escaping the klingon prison planet, how did he get back to the Narada? Comic Answer: The Narada was in orbit around Rura Penthe the whole time(?).
- How does Nero, a simple Romulan miner know exactly where Spock is going to show up? Comic Answer: The Narada, thanks to Borg technology is able to sense.... wait for it... V'GER deep in space and plots a course for it. Nero actually walks up to the Voyager probe, joins with it to a point, but rejects it in time to understand where Spock will appear. Because V'Ger knows a lot of stuff.
- Why does Nero say "I'M GOING TO MAKE HIM WATCH!" in regards to Spock witnessing Vulcan being destroyed, yet just leaves him on a planet with a nice warm coat in hopes that maybe he'll look up at the right time to see Vulcan destroyed? The planet has freezing temperatures, is very cloudy and has dangerous creatures that want to eat you if you're out in the open. Comic Answer: ...because he can. Shoot, even the comic can't justify this mess.

Last edited:
So it can withstand the vacuum of space and warp drive, but a little bit of water is too much?

In the vacuum of space there's no gravity and no high amounts of pressure on the hull, both of which you get in water and not to mention that water can get pretty damned hard when hit at high speeds. Granted that this Enterprise was built on Earth and not in space so it would have a stronger hull than the original Enterprise but it still wouldn't be able to go very deep underwater before being crushed by the pressure. Another thing to consider is that even if it doesn't go very deep a saltwater bath would almost certainly be very bad for a starship since they wouldn't have any sort of anti-corrosion coating and unless they wash her down real good, real fast, the Enterprise will start to rust.

Why reboot the entire Trek universe (an re-write the main characters personalities) if you're just going to copy old stories? If Cumberbatch is Khan then I won't even be giving this a glance. Why bother, I've already seen TWOK.

To try and appease diehard fans, I guess? It wouldn't matter either way. Whether they went with an all-new story line, or rehashed an old one, people are always going to complain. It just isn't possible to make everyone happy.

Why would Khan be seeking revenge when the events of Space Seed haven't happened yet? Unless this movie is Space Seed and The Wrath Of Khan all in one. Which raises my biggest question: why bother to reboot Trek just to redo an old story? Seems to defeat the purpose :unsure

...Blue clad arm reaching out but blocked by clear barrier from black clad arm: reminiscent of both Spock's death in TWOK but also from Mitchell's last moment of humanity in WNMHGB after he tries to headbutt the forcefield door of his cell. We are just assuming that is Spock and Kirk but, knowing how Abrams/Orci LOVE misdirection that could be any two people wearing blue and black.
The blue clad arm is giving the Vulcan salute.

Why reboot the entire Trek universe (an re-write the main characters personalities) if you're just going to copy old stories?...
That's what I say :lol

To try and appease diehard fans, I guess? It wouldn't matter either way. Whether they went with an all-new story line, or rehashed an old one, people are always going to complain. It just isn't possible to make everyone happy.

A lot of folks have their own opinions on what Star Trek is. The creator of the franchise thinks it's about humanity's bright future, some think it's about exploration, some think it's about tolerance and working with those who are different and some think (and I like this one) that it's about ideas. And what better way to broaden your realm of thinking than to write a story in a universe inhabited by hundreds, if not thousands of different species, space anomalies that can do anything, and characters who can experience wonders both internal and external.

Star Trek has demonstrated many times that their ideas can be both fun and meaningful without having to resort to random gratuitous action scenes. Star Trek II is regarded as the best Star Trek movie in the whole franchise, and yet it could hardly be qualified as an action film since there are only two space battles and no real gun fights.

With this new take, I just don't see JJ and his high court really doing anything with ideas. It just looks like they're conforming to the 'norm' by being all dark, gritty and action packed. Where are the ideas?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back