Star Trek Into Darkness (Pre-release)

I always felt the comics were more for the hardcore fans to have a little something extra over the passing fan or the bland movie goer who just want to see a film and not get beaten over the head with backstory. As for us Trekkies...let the beatings commence because I like having that little something extra.

Oh, so do I. I actually LOVED the idea of the Narada using Borg technology. Even the way the Narada looks on the inside brings back memories of those very open spaces inside the Borg Cubes, complete with alcoves that require to to stand up in order to work on. It also explains the Narada's bizzare shape since Borg technology has been depicted to 'build' onto itself. Take the Enterprise episode "Regeneration" for example.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The difference here being that Borg technology on it's own would eventually grow into something more simple, like a cube or a sphere. With the Romulans tampering the technology, the expansion process has no defined structure to follow outside of maintaining ship functions, hence why it looks so bizarre.

One has to feel sorry for Playmates for producing a toy of the Enterprise but not being able to to produce a ship for it to fight. All those pointy ends.....

Great, The Enterprise is a submarine now? How Lame. :rolleyes

Another franchise killed by stupidity! :unsure

Yeah, if that is the Enterprise then this sucks. The saucer section would at best rip off or get bent over from that kind of crash angle and impact. Especially if it's coming down from orbit.

The blatant theft from "Wrath of Khan" is too much. Won't pay a dime for it.

Same here. I thought they realized that Khan was too much of a classic to even go near.

A lot of folks have their own opinions on what Star Trek is. The creator of the franchise thinks it's about humanity's bright future, some think it's about exploration, some think it's about tolerance and working with those who are different and some think (and I like this one) that it's about ideas. And what better way to broaden your realm of thinking than to write a story in a universe inhabited by hundreds, if not thousands of different species, space anomalies that can do anything, and characters who can experience wonders both internal and external.

Star Trek has demonstrated many times that their ideas can be both fun and meaningful without having to resort to random gratuitous action scenes. Star Trek II is regarded as the best Star Trek movie in the whole franchise, and yet it could hardly be qualified as an action film since there are only two space battles and no real gun fights.

With this new take, I just don't see JJ and his high court really doing anything with ideas. It just looks like they're conforming to the 'norm' by being all dark, gritty and action packed. Where are the ideas?

That's why this new Star Trek sucks. At their best, Star Trek stories are morality tales with adventure and exploration. The final finger to all that in the reboot was the scene between Kirk and Spock when they decide to fire on the ship that's going in the black hole.

...and again...there's no saucer...

You can see a bit of the saucer section coming out of the water if you look closely.

It really boggles my mind that every Trek Fan accepts the Mirror Universe without batting an eyelash and also enjoy stories like TNG's "Parallels" but still want to don leiderhosen and raise torches and pitch forks over the JJ Trek 'Verse claiming it erased the original instead of just considering it to be one more universe in a multiverse of Trek.
Apples and oranges. The mirror universe and Parallels were occasional episodes that stood alone, we got back to the prime universe the following week. JJ has effectively done away with that, since all movies going forward are the new time line. If I can't see a new story in the prime universe then it no longer exists.

That's why this new Star Trek sucks. At their best, Star Trek stories are morality tales with adventure and exploration. The final finger to all that in the reboot was the scene between Kirk and Spock when they decide to fire on the ship that's going in the black hole.

lol. That reminds me. If you pick up the first issue of the NuTrek Mirror Universe comic that's out right now, their attempts to show an evil Kirk just falls on it's face. Kirk actually strangles a chained up Nero. I find this ironic because character wise, it's no different than what Kirk did in the un-mirror universe. Both have Nero at a disarmed, helpless state, and they both choose to kill him even though they no longer posed a threat. I guess blasting your using photon torpedoes and having a black hole crush them to nonexistence is the 'humane' way of murdering your enemy in NuTrek.

God, makes me wonder what justification Kirk will use to kill whoever Benedict plays.

Also if they keep on with the "It's only a parallel universe" defence whenever someone complains then they're just shooting themselves in the foot.
It's a parallel universe = these aren't the characters we know = none of their actions affect the prime universe = no consequences to the characters we love = no reason to care about the characters in the new films.

This is what happens when you cop out of a full reboot. Something like BSG or V at least had the guts to completely re-do and update their story. nu-Trek isn't fully new, and it doesn't properly continue old Trek. Result? It's the ******* offspring of Mirror-Mirror and the Twilight Zone.

The way I see it JJ Super Action Trek™ has nothing at all to do with the original Trek universe simply because at the start of the last movie it was clear we weren't in the Trek universe as we knew it for years. This is an alternate reality of an alternate universe.

Trek 2 looks like fluff entertainment just like most everything these days, it even has the "people standing in the street watching a disaster unfold" scene that is a requirement in all summer movies.

I enjoyed the first one for what it is. I know it's not true Trek but it was fun. I will turn off my brain and go see the new one.

Hey kids - it's the new Slinky - it's not metal like the old one - it's colorful plastic. It tends to get tangled more and it doesn't walk down stairs - but hey, it's new, so you have to like it.

I finally put my finger on why I don't like these new Star Trek movies and it boils down to lack of charm in both the characters and sets. TOS had a great cast - a group of actors who possessed that certain something that made you fall in love with them. You wanted to be part of their world. Shatner, Nimoy, Kelly, Doohan, Nicholas, Koenig, Takei all sold that show with pure charm - as well as the designs of sets and ships - once you remove them you really are revealing a moderate space cop show. These new guys - not a one of them have the likability of their predecessor. I wouldn't want to hang out with Zackery's Spock, but would pay to have dinner with Nimoy's.

Did they actually build an engineering set for this movie? Kirk and Scotty look like they're in a new section in the trailer. Man I hope so.

Mola, the Enterprise runs on BEER, didn't you know?

I wasn't a very big fan of the first JJ Trek, but if Cumberbatch is Charlie X, (the blonde being Janice Rand) this could be interesting.

James Gordon Jr.: Why's JJ changing Star Trek, Dad?
Lt. James Gordon: Because he has to change it.
James Gordon Jr.: There wasn't anything wrong.
Lt. James Gordon: Because it's not the Star Trek fans deserve, but the one the studios need right now. So we'll buy the tickets anyways. Because we have to take it. Because JJs not our hero. He's a masses pleaser, a watchful exploiter. A Dark Hack.

And the story doesn't really treat it as an alternate reality either, since Nero and Spock entered the black hole (Pspsps) at different points and different times. If going into an alternate reality is a key ingredient, why doesn't Spock go to a different reality than the one Nero ended up in?

if it is based on the actual theory of quantum mechanics then
Supposedly every event that occurs (even on a quantum level) will result in a multitude of alternate realities, each one resulting in every possible outcome to that event.
So, if Nero goes through the black hole, there would be an alternate reality where he got killed and never came out of the hole...There would be one where he did come out of the hole, but spock didnt, and inherently there would be one where Nero comes out of the hole and so does spock, etc, etc.
So, no, Spock wouldnt necessarily end up in a different reality as Nero....Evbentually, in at least one of the multidude of realities, Spock would appear in the same reality as nero.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back