Star Trek Into Darkness (Pre-release)

(I know it's bad, but I can't help it, it's the only TNG movie that feels like Trek to me)

I can understand that. No Earth is in danger subplot, a strange anomaly with huge story potential and a music score that even to this day I still can't believe Dennis McCarthy composed. It's clearly one of those Star Trek productions that had all the right talent, but was boggled down with the story be dictated by the studio and creating plot points to indulge the main actors.

Still, despite what could be just an ok film in the end, STID just doesn't look like it has any faith in it's own source material. The story appears to be rehashing the last one, Earth seems to play a bigger role than space does, Kirk is treated like he's the 'only' great thing in Starfleet despite his flaws, and the crew will only be there for support who will never have fully fleshed out stories of their own.

I'm not going to say that this isn't Star Trek. It is, but there's so much that can be told in this expansive universe that doesn't depend upon a revenge seeking bad guy in a big dark ship who wants to attack Earth.

The jury is still out for me. I'll wait to see the film. However, Orci and Kurtzman are the writers and anything they pen is pretty much unoriginal fluff with gaping plot holes and borrowed lines/scenarios.

Well ,that latest trailer is ***king magnificent!!!!! If I had any worries at all about JA getting the Star Wars gig then they have just been blown out of the airlock. What a summer for films!!!

I think there's an incredibly brief, blurry glimpse of one in the most recent trailer, but it's one of those "blink and you missed it" shots, it goes by so quickly. :unsure

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back