Star Trek III Tricorder Project - Complete!

Re: Star Trek III Tricorder Project - Scale set

Sure- kydex is a type of thermoplastic. It's very rugged and pretty easy to work with, and is a popular material for making sheaths and holsters out of. (Sci-fi ones, too. I believe it was used to make phaser and tricorder holsters in Star Trek, from TNG on, and laser holsters in BSG TOS, and the first season clamshell holster in the new BSG.)

You can heat it up in a toaster oven (or regular for larger pieces) until it softens, then form it- and rework it later with a heat gun. In this case, I'm using a foam rubber padded press to force it down over my buck. (The idea is similar to vacuforming, only instead of pulling the air out and pushing the plastic with atmospheric pressure, I'm pushing with the heat-resistant foam.)

I actually did the first test tonight. It looks as though I will be able to do the big features this way, but all those tiny rectangles and triangles are going to have to be glued on after the fact. Here's what my test part looks like:

kydextest13.jpg

Thanks for the info... I also googled it, and its very interesting.
Love the pics, and my mind is exploding with possibilities... :)

If I can help with anything, let me know... A shame I can't come down and help... :)

-Skyler101

Just wondering...if you have the tricorder modeled in 3D on the computer, couldn't you have it printed by a company, using a 3D printer? I know this goes into a totally different area, but it's looking like this will get more and more affordable in the near future.

Just wondering...if you have the tricorder modeled in 3D on the computer, couldn't you have it printed by a company, using a 3D printer? I know this goes into a totally different area, but it's looking like this will get more and more affordable in the near future.

That's a good point. I could- I hollowed out my model (mostly kept a wall thickness about 2mm) and had it quoted by Shapeways. For a two part hollow version (separate sensor head) made out of the 'frosted detail' material it would be about $400. (The 'white strong' material would be only about half that, but it doesn't capture the detail that well, and it doesn't take paint well, either.) If I really thinned out the walls I might be able to bring that down to close to $300.

I want two of them, and I think going with my current plan it will be closer to $40 of material (and a lot of my time) each to make them- that's an order of magnitude less. Since these are intended primarily as costume accessories, I think I'll try to find the time to build them. (I also have to find time to finish the costumes, but that will be a separate thread.)

However, if you know of newer, less expensive ways to get things 3D printed, I'd be interested...

I like your way Felgacarb...

One of the things that always gets in the way is cost. 3D printing costs will come down, but $40 against $400.... Unless you need it yesterday, there is no argument!

Also, you get bragging rights that you made it yourself! :)

-Skyler101

Also, you get bragging rights that you made it yourself! :)

-Skyler101

You are so right. Most days, I'd prefer to have a prop or costume that 85% there and say I made it myself than a 99% professionally done item...

It's like Jay Leno said about cars- anyone can show up in a new Lamborgini if they have enough money, but if you arrive at a party driving a Stanley Steamer, it means you also know how to fix stuff by the side of the road!

That's the first time I've heard a price quote for a prop like this, so it's a good point of reference. I'm going to Maker Faire Bay Area in a couple of weeks, I'll talk to the various 3D printing companies there and see what I can find out.

I think what will happen is that commercial 3D printing will get more competitive, driving prices down. And at the same time, 3D printers cheap enough for individuals to own will go up in resolution so what you can turn out on them will have smooth surfaces.

You'll either send your files to the 3D printer at FedEx/Kinko's or you'll have a 3D printer sitting on your desk.

Oh, and the way I see it, if you built the model in 3D, you made it!

Oh, and the way I see it, if you built the model in 3D, you made it!

I do agree with that...

So, I started the actual work today. Sadly I won't have much free time this weekend, but here is how it's going:'

Bench with paper templates, scrap wood & kydex-
01-tric4.jpg

Power sanding to get the rounded edges-
01-tric8.jpg

Working on the front circle detail-
01-tric10.jpg

01-tric12.jpg

01-tric14.jpg

Detail panels out of scrap kydex-
01-tric15.jpg

01-tric17.jpg

You really do want safety glasses for dremeling plastics. Just trust me.
01-tric19.jpg

01-tric22.jpg

Glue 'em down, then heat and bend the edges-
01-tric24.jpg

And here is where I must leave it for today-
01-tric25.jpg

Re: Star Trek III Tricorder Project - Work In Progress

Right- so this afternoon, I attempted pressing my first piece.

Cut the kydex-
02-tric2.jpg

Set up the buck in the press-
02-tric4.jpg

Heated the thermoplastic with my super-high-tech toaster oven-
02-tric5.jpg

Clamped it all down-
02-tric6.jpg

(Those are 'welding clamps'- great for this sort of thing, quick to use and adjust to a good range of sizes...)

Here's what the first try came out looking like-
02-tric7.jpg

Next I rolled the sides under a bit using the heat gun-
02-tric11.jpg

02-tric12.jpg

Overall, I'm not really happy with it. the details really are all too soft. And the corners are a disaster. It could be made to work as a stunt or background prop perhaps, but that's not what I'm going for. (Maybe I've just spent too long looking a Robn1's builds!)

So, I'm considering laying down a line of suppressing fire with incinerators and falling back in squads. Which in this case, means my official plan B: Making simpler, plain shells out of kydex (with some relief cuts for the corners) and having most of the details be separate, glued on parts. It will mean a lot more parts (and work) but will certainly yield much sharper features.

Stand by for the next attempt....

You could make it in the form of two concentric shells, one on top of the other, and then cut away shapes on the outer shell to form the "plates" that you see on the prop. Unless that's what you were alluding to.

K

You could make it in the form of two concentric shells, one on top of the other, and then cut away shapes on the outer shell to form the "plates" that you see on the prop. Unless that's what you were alluding to.

K

That's pretty close to what I've got in mind- the outermost plates are non-contiguous, so I'll probably make them each individually, and then glue them on...

Wow looking fantastic. I love to watch your projects come to be. You make it look too easy!

I figure that must be how they made the command module plates on the Space : 1999 Eagle...

4176129613_6f8b25de15_o.jpg

That's pretty close to what I've got in mind- the outermost plates are non-contiguous, so I'll probably make them each individually, and then glue them on...

Awesome! Totally awesome. I'm following this with great interest.

Wow... For an attempt, Im blown away...

I wonder if you could do the same with 2mm styrene and get sharper detail. You could the cut the pieces up and add it to your shell....

This is truly amazing stuff...

Blown away...

-Skyler101

That press idea looks pretty cool, I've never seen that before.

...I wonder if you could do the same with 2mm styrene and get sharper detail. You could the cut the pieces up and add it to your shell...
That sounds like a good way to go. Use the press to make the basic shape in styrene, then add the raised details. Even Kydex might work better without the extra plates.

And yes, the Eagle command module was made from two vacformed shells in plastic, one was cut up into the plates which were then glued to the other shell.

yes, the Eagle command module was made from two vacformed shells in plastic, one was cut up into the plates which were then glued to the other shell.

I didn't know that- dang it, now I want to build an Eagle!

I got a little bit more done last night- added those tiny triangle buttons to the front using in a way that should make them nearly knock-off-proof. Hopefully I can put up more progress photos tonight.

I also noticed in this picture:
St3-tricorder.jpg

(You have to squint, it's pretty low-res) that there is another black rectangle on the front (usually covered by the actor's finger when they hold it) that I was missing, so I've updated my model a bit more.

stiii-tric-v3b.jpg

I found with vacuforming you can get better results with a negative mold, as opposed to a positive (like your current tricorder body). It means creating a negative mold from your tricorder body that you vacuum plastic into, but that way it doesn't have anywhere to go other than the actual shapes defined by the master mold. I did this myself when I created an Industrial Design model of a PDA years ago - the form was carved/machined into a block of MDF (sealed with layers of sandable primer and sanded smooth). The radius corners worked like a charm.

Hope that helps, love this tricorder design

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back