Star Trek Beyond

Re: New STAR TREK 3

Sadly, that's probably not too far off.

We already had a high ranking Starfleet officer go rogue, a Romulan miner/world-wrecker, and super-man Khan... what's left?
Maybe Cranston will be the guy that created the whining whale probe.

That'll be ST IV

Ensign Terry McGinnis? Sorry that title worked just fine for Batman Beyond, but it's pretty lame for aTrek film. Hopefully this is false, like Blue Harvest.

Titles don't bother me much.

The Motion Picture (Every one of them has been a motion picture. That one just happened to be the first.)
The Voyage Home (They get home in the first 20 minutes. Not much of a voyage.)
The Undiscovered Country (Shakespeare was referring to death. Gorkon linked it to "peace" which, might be synonymous in Klingon I suppose.)
Nemesis (Calling Shinzon Picard's nemesis is an utter insult to Picard.)

To sum up, good and bad Trek films have had bad names. They can call it "Star Trek: Electric Borg-aloo" for all I care, as long as they give me a good movie.

Beyond Earth, hopefully.

Earth: Above AND BEYOND!

Sorry. I couldn't resist.

I feel kind of bad for Star Trek more than ever now. Not only because of this title, but also what occurred at the Star Wars Celebration Convention recently. Star Wars pretty much told it's fans that they're like family while Star Trek has told it's fans to **** off... twice. It's like the days where I was more of a Star Wars fan than a Star Trek fan are coming back and I'm actually welcoming it.

Seriously, beyond can mean ANYTHING. Where did all the cool titles like "First Contact" or "The Undiscovered Country" go? Those were awesome.

Last edited:
Titles don't bother me much.
The Undiscovered Country (Shakespeare was referring to death. Gorkon linked it to "peace" which, might be synonymous in Klingon I suppose.)

Actually, Gorkon used it in reference to the future. Which given Klingon culture, makes perfect sense...

I think that's being extremely charitable towards the suits. I think what the suits want is to basically mimic what the other more successful films are doing in the hopes of stealing their market share. The problem with that is that it's an "also ran" approach and that stuff just doesn't work. It ends up being treated as an inferior knockoff and a betrayal of what makes your brand unique.

The real problem is in the attitude that because another movie made gazillions of dollars, if your movie ISN'T making the same gazillions, it's a failure. A better approach is offering a distinct product that appeals to a large enough market to keep bringing in money and turning a profit.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back