Star Destroyer Avenger part ID help please

Gladly!

I'm hot for infos on this too, but unlikely that I will start to build before end of this summer or even a litle later.

I don't have alot of pix of the underside and actually no top views of the bridge, so for the moment it seems to me that one Möbelwagen is enough.

The side skirt idea is good! Maybe a Stug IV or so...I'll have a look for this.

Btw: I've took some measurements (very roughly) and I got 41cm for the with of the bridge.
A lot of surface that needs to be detailed...

Well I built the basic structure (head and neck) and mine is also 41 cm ! That's a good news ;)

I dont have a lot of pics of the underside too :( Actually I only have Franck Wire's (excellent) pics as ref. No pic of the top, except the one in the SaG book !

As for the underside what I have so far :

portside : most of the area is covered by the Shinano deck (argh 2 kits to find !). There is also a 1/72 Airfix Matilda parts (side skirt, like the Tamiya ones used on the facia).

Starboardside : Junyo deck (close to the neck). Junyo deck is also used four times on the neck on both sides (you need 2 kits for the neck and bridge).

Actually I'm pretty sure that's a side skirt because you can see the panels and the square bolted thing which links the panels !

If you need any help for the basic shape/angles, let me know, I'm not saying my measurements are 100 perfect but I think they are close and they match the kitparts placement !

Also, the top rear of the neck looks like some hinges... Almost like the ones of the Centurion rear deck. But nor the 1/35 and 1/25 match exactly the kitpart used on the ILM prop :s

I tried to find some measurements of the bridge a while ago based on kit parts, and I think it was 4 inches high in the center, 2 at the sides and 14 or 16 inches wide. So if you have 41 cm, I guess the bridge is 16 inches wide.
(plus kit parts on top of these measurements)

Tim

I tried to find some measurements of the bridge a while ago based on kit parts, and I think it was 4 inches high in the center, 2 at the sides and 14 or 16 inches wide. So if you have 41 cm, I guess the bridge is 16 inches wide.
(plus kit parts on top of these measurements)

Tim

I dont have my plans under my eyes but I can recall I found 2" at the sides, I cant remember for the center though !

Thanks for the confirmation Tim !

Well I built the basic structure (head and neck) and mine is also 41 cm ! That's a good news ;)

I dont have a lot of pics of the underside too :( Actually I only have Franck Wire's (excellent) pics as ref. No pic of the top, except the one in the SaG book !

As for the underside what I have so far :

portside : most of the area is covered by the Shinano deck (argh 2 kits to find !). There is also a 1/72 Airfix Matilda parts (side skirt, like the Tamiya ones used on the facia).

Starboardside : Junyo deck (close to the neck). Junyo deck is also used four times on the neck on both sides (you need 2 kits for the neck and bridge).

Actually I'm pretty sure that's a side skirt because you can see the panels and the square bolted thing which links the panels !

If you need any help for the basic shape/angles, let me know, I'm not saying my measurements are 100 perfect but I think they are close and they match the kitparts placement !

Wow thats indeed good news!

I assumed you are in the planing stage, good to hear you already started.
A litle advise from someone who already gathered experience with this would be nice, thanks for the hand !:thumbsup

Noticed that too with those richly used Junyo decks, could be worth to think about casts for that one?!
I had luck to find a old shinano after looking months on ebay, hunt goes on for another one.
Never noticed that airfix matilda part, good eye!

The hinges on the neck next to the edge, I could be wrong but they look like small battleship guns to me cos two of them are slightly bent to the side and also there are twelve on the Avenger neck, and what coincedence: Twelve very similar looking guns in the HMS Nelson kit!

Wow thats indeed good news!

I assumed you are in the planing stage, good to hear you already started.
A litle advise from someone who already gathered experience with this would be nice, thanks for the hand !:thumbsup

Noticed that too with those richly used Junyo decks, could be worth to think about casts for that one?!
I had luck to find a old shinano after looking months on ebay, hunt goes on for another one.
Never noticed that airfix matilda part, good eye!

The hinges on the neck next to the edge, I could be wrong but they look like small battleship guns to me cos two of them are slightly bent to the side and also there are twelve on the Avenger neck, and what coincedence: Twelve very similar looking guns in the HMS Nelson kit!

Actually I have all the basic shape done (including the X-array supports) basically I have just to dress it up with kitparts now :)

Regarding the Junyo kit, it's very cheap (I bagged a second one yesterday for $15) so it isnt worth to be cast IMHO !

You're lucky for the Shinano Ive been hunting for a year now and still nothing lol be careful I will probably bid against you lol

Here's the Airfix Matilda side skirt :

underside.jpg

Wow that would be good news about the Nelson guns ! I'll check my kits hoping those are the right bits ! :D

Thanks for the info =)

Hey guys,

Any thought on those bits ?

facia3.jpg

Thanks for the help !

Hey MonsieurTox whats up?

Any progress on your Avenger build?

1 Tamiya 1/35 Matilda

2 Tamiya 1/700 Taiho

3 Tamiya 1/35 M16 Gun Motor Carriage

( 3 might come also from the M21 Mortar Carrier, or a other Tamiya U.S Halftrack kit)

Hey Chrome !

No progress as Im collecting the kits (most come from HK so it will take a bit to arrive :)) ! Once I got most of the parts, I'll laid them on my mock-up then I'll do laser cut the structure from plexi I guess !

Thanks for the infos !

I have the 3 kits lol

I cant spot the part from the M16 though ?

And it looks like I used those parts from my Taiho, but fortunatly Ive ordered another 2 weeks ago !

Thanks again ;)

I'll take a pic with my mock up with all the parts I have once I get the kits :)

I will do mine of 2mm styrene with crossing ribbs inside, although your plexi choice is much better!:thumbsup
looking forward to see some shots of your bridge!

Any idea for any of the boxes on top where the antennas are resting on?

Here is the M16 Part: I think it's only the upper half of this part that is used.

also I start to sort out the parts that I need...

...another mistake

Seems like the part on the Avenger that was supposed to be from the M16 is more likely a Tamiya M3A2 part.

dup di dup di doo....:angel

Julien,

Isn't part 5 from the 1/72 Airfix SRN1 Hovercraft?

Cheers, JT

Hey John,

Fortunatly while the part look similar, it's not from this kit ! Which is good news lol :lol

I think it comes from some 1/350 aircraft carrier (my Nimitz has similar parts but not exactly the right ones !). The bad thing is that this part is all over the model in larger sections :s

Thanks for the help anyway ;) How's going your Bomber ?

...another mistake

Seems like the part on the Avenger that was supposed to be from the M16 is more likely a Tamiya M3A2 part.

dup di dup di doo....:angel

Thanks for the help !

So is there any part from the M21 lol ?

It looks like you have more part than I have so I would probably ask you from which kit they come from !

Your pic is an invaluable help ;)

What are those parts ?

partsid.jpg

Well part #1 looks like a part from the Airfix Scorpion, I'll have to check my kit but TBH I dont know where it goes on the bridge :s

Thanks !

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back