Something I Can’t “Unsee” About Han in Carbonite

I think everyone is overlooking that there is always going to be some shrinkage involved in the carbon freezing process. When dealing with those kind of temperatures, it's only natural that an arm ends up looking contorted. Though now I wonder if you threw frozen Han in to a pool if it would be similar to throwing a block of dry ice in to a pool.

ALLEY You're right about the melting scene. My bad. I did the pose in the mirror and the only way it would be possible is if his elbows were sticking out the back of the block. Even then, the little bit of forearm we see on the block wouldn't be visible.

Now I look at mine on the wall and I can't unsee it either...

I think everyone is overlooking that there is always going to be some shrinkage involved in the carbon freezing process. When dealing with those kind of temperatures, it's only natural that an arm ends up looking contorted. Though now I wonder if you threw frozen Han in to a pool if it would be similar to throwing a block of dry ice in to a pool.
Like the Terminator 2 scene:
20230626_111837.jpg

Oh yeah…then there’s that.

View attachment 1713325

And where did the upper arm binders go when he was defrosted?

As ALLEY mentioned above: although the Ugnauts removed the wrist shackles, the binder around Han's upper arms that wraps around his back was STILL THERE when he was frozen. When he de-thaws.... the binder is gone as well. We don't know what "in universe" happened, although there was conjecture that the upper arm binders were made out of carbonite as well (?!)

Was wondering if its possible to hold the pose with hands down like that. Leaned against this door so my elbows were even with my back. Of course I'm also way fatter than Harrison Ford.
But still, its technically possible, but surely not comfortable.
The only, and probably best in universe explanation, is when the blast of carbonite hit him, it jerked him back like that and then frozen instantly.
20230627_035900.jpg

Was wondering if its possible to hold the pose with hands down like that. Leaned against this door so my elbows were even with my back. Of course I'm also way fatter than Harrison Ford.
The only, and probably best in universe explanation, is when the blast of carbonite hit him, it jerked him back like that and then frozen instantly.
View attachment 1713806

Look where your forearms are, relative to where they are in the casting….the arms in the casting are not in the “push-up position” that you have there….rather the forearms point nearly straight upwards:

IMG_9575.jpeg

Clearly they cast the arms separately from the rest of the body and placed them in an impossible position, relative to the body.

Now, whenever I look at my casting, it looks like someone is standing behind Han Solo and kneeling, while doing outstretched “Superman flying Arms” behind him. I can’t “unsee” it.

Look where your forearms are, relative to where they are in the casting….the arms in the casting are not in the “push-up position” that you have there….rather the forearms point nearly straight upwards:

View attachment 1713851

Clearly they cast the arms separately from the rest of the body and placed them in an impossible position, relative to the body.

Now, whenever I look at my casting, it looks like someone is standing behind Han Solo and kneeling, while doing outstretched “Superman flying Arms” behind him. I can’t “unsee” it.

And to think, it's been right there all along, staring at us for 43 years.

OK, can someone her with some 'shop skills move the arms to make them anatomically correct? I think if they were kept in the same orientation but just moved upwards about 3 inches, that would "look" better.

View attachment 1713806
Sorry now I can't unsee you Throwing some shapes at a 90s Rave!..

But getting back to Han/Harrison what's niggles me is the flatness of the chest it's very fake pancake looking no ?
And to get that position would you not be sticking out your chest especially as he's craning his neck skywards..

I'm thinking they wanted this sleek slender unit but to get the desired effect would make it a lot chunkier more like a chest freezer.. so to slim it down they rejigged the entire thing.

And to get that position would you not be sticking out your chest especially as he's craning his neck skywards..
Well…and the craning of the neck is another matter altogether.

You can clearly see the separation between Harrison Ford’s face life cast and the other person’s body, right here (the separation line is just under the Adam’s Apple)…

IMG_9576.jpeg

The iconic prop is actually a somewhat poorly executed “mishmash” of different body parts.

Last edited:
Since it was just past 4AM and I was getting ready for bed, I realized that the wrists do still look way off, due to being different cast arms.
So RafalFett moving them up does look much better and natural, I wondered it keeping the hands in the same spot, but removing the wrists would look better.
It does, still awkward, but better.
Hancarb.jpg

Back in 2016, when I lived with my now ex-girlfriend, she let me get this for the shower. Looking at this old pic, I see they actually fixed the wrists as well. Thats funny.
ITs the little things you just never notice until its pointed out.
In Jabba's palace in Jedi, the lighting also made it hard to notice the wrists.

14249965_1089198137834578_6586937353741933626_o.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back