Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

The internet was made out of wood once.
And you had to subscribe to it thrown into your driveway or porch..........

IMG_7078.jpg

No film, inside the franchise or out, has ever matched or will ever match Star Wars (ANH), let alone top it.

The Empire Strikes Back, while also a masterpiece, will always be runner-up on my list.

The Wook

Yeah, ESB is clearly a superior film technically, from the script, to the acting, and the story, even music, but ANH is magic. :) As a 12 year old I was a little troubled by ESB, the ending was dark, Luke and Leia weren't a thing, it was all very confusing. ;)

I'm trying to recall if I ever saw the original Star Wars in 70mm. That would certainly be a treat.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I saw ESB at the age of 9 the week it was released. It was always 3rd on my list. To me, as a kid, it was 2 hours of my hero's getting their asses handed to them over and over. Hard to overcome that. To this day, though, i do like it more each time i see it. It's presently tied for 2nd now :)

Let me guess, ANH is first? :lol

- - - Updated - - -

This was in San Diego, Mission Valley, near the mall there, tore it all down and now there is just foodie places or something.
There is actually a list of every movie and when it was there. Star Wars returned there in 1997, that was pretty cool...
http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/18164

03/30/77 … BLACK SUNDAY (8 weeks)
05/25/77 … STAR WARS (37 weeks)
02/10/78 … STAR WARS (20 weeks, 70mm-Dolby Stereo)
06/28/78 … HEAVEN CAN WAIT (16 weeks)

Stunning how looooooooong it stayed there. 57 weeks total!!!

Dude, wait, the picture you first posted was the theatre I was talking about?! Hahaha! I didnt know you were in San Diego. Damn. My memory is pretty damn good then. :cool

edit: cancel that pat on the back, I didnt see King Kong Lives there... It might have been beetlejuice...

Let me guess, ANH is first? :lol

- - - Updated - - -

Dude, wait, the picture you first posted was the theatre I was talking about?! Hahaha! I didnt know you were in San Diego. Damn. My memory is pretty damn good then. :cool

edit: cancel that pat on the back, I didnt see King Kong Lives there... It might have been beetlejuice...

Beetlejuice they decorated the whole lobby pretty extensively. Bummer there are no pictures I can find of it.

This was in San Diego, Mission Valley, near the mall there, tore it all down and now there is just foodie places or something.
There is actually a list of every movie and when it was there. Star Wars returned there in 1997, that was pretty cool...
http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/18164

03/30/77 … BLACK SUNDAY (8 weeks)
05/25/77 … STAR WARS (37 weeks)
02/10/78 … STAR WARS (20 weeks, 70mm-Dolby Stereo)
06/28/78 … HEAVEN CAN WAIT (16 weeks)

Stunning how looooooooong it stayed there. 57 weeks total!!!

I was surprised that The Godfather was not listed as the final movie shown there, as I know I saw it there and it was, in fact, the last film the theater ran. But then I read the fine print atop the list, and it said the list only included regular engagements. When they showed The Godfather in early '98, it was not a regular engagement, but rather a special engagement, as the theater's swan song. It was kinda a big deal, as many locals attended to say farewell to the giant cinema (I said in a previous post it sat 1,000, but that link says the capacity was a mere 922. lol).

Do you remember a theater marquee/billboard on the side of the westbound 8 freeway, where they listed the movie playing? I seem to recall that. I was so bummed it shut down. But I was glad I got to enjoy it, for flicks like Star Wars in '97 (the place was packed!), and The Godfather on its last night.

The Wook

I was surprised that The Godfather was not listed as the final movie shown there, as I know I saw it there and it was, in fact, the last film the theater ran. But then I read the fine print atop the list, and it said the list only included regular engagements. When they showed The Godfather in early '98, it was not a regular engagement, but rather a special engagement, as the theater's swan song. It was kinda a big deal, as many locals attended to say farewell to the giant cinema (I said in a previous post it sat 1,000, but that link says the capacity was a mere 922. lol).

Do you remember a theater marquee/billboard on the side of the westbound 8 freeway, where they listed the movie playing? I seem to recall that. I was so bummed it shut down. But I was glad I got to enjoy it, for flicks like Star Wars in '97 (the place was packed!), and The Godfather on its last night.

The Wook

The billboard sounds familiar but maybe that was for the Hotel Circle Cinema 21 theater farther west by the freeway? which was huge also. Saw Battlestar Galactica in "Sensurround" there. LOL
Last flick I saw at Valley Circle was Alien 4, so sadly went out with a big "meh" for me.

Han Solo is like Boba Fett, or Wolverine, or even Darth Vader (separate from Anakin Skywalker) for that matter. They lose their coolness fast as soon as they start getting beyond a supporting/ensemble role. These characters are not the kind that benefit from doing much growing & changing.
The great thing about star wars has been it's incidental characters. The ones who join the fight by being in the right time at the right place. And the only reason they matter is because of their contribution to the fight.

Han Solo, boba Fett, Lando, etc....

We never need to see these people before they matter.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

^I'm inclined to agree.
And not only that but their arrival into the fight was a character arc.

Han had a very important character arc in ANH. Lando also had one.

Do we really want to see a story where han isn't a great guy? When he's a selfish smuggler?

I have a REALLY hard time believing that Disney will do that character justice. I'll bet a hundred space bucks that they turn "young han Solo" into jack sparrow

Yes, the problem is you can't do these kinds of characters "before the arc" because you have to make virtually a whole movie about them in bad/selfish mode. They have to still be in that mode when the movie ends. Disney won't be willing to do that so these projects are pretty hopeless from day one.

And not only that but their arrival into the fight was a character arc.

Han had a very important character arc in ANH. Lando also had one.

Do we really want to see a story where han isn't a great guy? When he's a selfish smuggler?

I have a REALLY hard time believing that Disney will do that character justice. I'll bet a hundred space bucks that they turn "young han Solo" into jack sparrow

I've always had this concern, he got interesting post-Leia, however... I think for this to work, it's got to be just one film and much like spaghetti westerns.
Solo may learn more towards a Tuco than a Man with no Name though. Just tell a wild west yarn.
The buzz seems to be now it is indeed supposed to be like a western so I've got fingers crossed they get a handle on this.
But frankly the Harrelson/Mentor thing has got me nervous as hell again.

We never need to see these people before they matter.

I agree, but we won't be, because we've already seen ANH. ;) That was still our introduction to the character.

Now, if Disney could somehow impress upon those introducing to the films to the next generation to watch the "story" films AFTER they watch the numbered films, then it won't be a problem. I hope for any future box set (insert non-physical media version of the future here) there is a "suggested viewing order' insert. ;)

Who wants to watch Walter white before he gets cancer? Or Bruce Wayne before his parents are killed?

I hear you.
Either they find a way to make these films compelling...or they don't. We'll see!

You are all a negative bunch

Are we forgetting who is writing this film?

J

What are the odds on Woody telling young Solo not to get cocky?

Did you say woody? Oh man, famous faces in SW really pull me out of the movies. Whittaker, Grunberg, Jackson, Neeson. Everyone wants a piece of Star Wars.
If he's in it you can bet on Jesse and Bullseye. :lol

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back