SHOW OFF THREAD :) Doctor Who War Doctor Sonic Screwdriver PROTO ALL METAL

You mentioned that the LED is included, but will there be space down the neck/rod (tube?) for the LED wires so that we may add our own power source?

I'm quite interested to know this as well. I don't mind doing mods myself, but it's always nice to know what options there might be in the construction to accommodate mods. :)

I have the RussRep Baker model so know the fantastic quality of these sonics but it doesn't have the painted lines. I'd appreciate thoughts and comments from people as to whether it's worthwhile getting the War Doctor one painted.
Thanks

The sonic used by Hurt was a modified Baker toy, yes. The McGann sonic was a metal replica, presumably the one that was on display at the Doctor Who experience. As for that Third Doctor "sonic" I'm afriad I can't agree it's a sonic. Seems like some sort of high tech Geiger counter the Doctor is using, considering he used his real sonic in at least two stories before The Three Doctors and many stories after it. it just seems odd to have a new one for one story and not name check it.

Cheers for that Terrasolo! So who made the metal Mcgann at the Experience? Interesting re your views on The device seen in THE THREE DOCTORS at the same token he doesnt mention the Sonic by name everytime he produces it from his pocket. When its a new gadget, he normally mentions it, and what he does.

I get that, it's just that it was used during the same time as his regular sonic and only used once so it seems unlikely that it was meant to be another sonic. The main thing is that the other one had already been established and in use before and after this device so if it was meant to be the sonic, why was it used? And why not name check it so the audience knew? For my money it's not a sonic, but if you like it as a sonic I'm not trying to stop change your mind on it, just giving my opinion.

As for the McGann from all the pics I have - one high res - it is a metal replica, my speculation is that it's the one from the experience as that was readily available and they did film Tennant's TARDIS scenes there but I don't know who the maker of that replica is unfortunately.

Last edited:
Yep , l like your reasoning re the prop used in THE THREE DOCTORS. Who knows? This way both sides of the debate are right, until Moffat comes along and changes things ;) Its funny as before Video releases I always thought that this WAS the shape for Petwee's Sonic, clearly it made a huge impression on my younger self!

Ta for the info re the McGann prop, I wonder if it was made for the experience or bought from one produced by members here. When you saw it at the experience, did it look authentic to the original as seen in the TV Movie?

It does have a memorable shape. And yeah anyone can change it later in a future episode if they wanted for sure. Moff is the king at doing stuff like that. Not a crown to wear gladly though IMO. But yeah, it could be anything. I'm quite happy with his two versions of the known prop though for my personal collection but that is an interesting device none the less.

I think it was either from a run on here or a similar board or maker but I don't think it was made from the exhibit. Some of the replicas and original are there on loan from private collectors. They could have purchased it from a private collector too I suppose, but who knows.

Hi Guys yes well I am going to offer a small run or war sonics that will be NON sound just like the Baker but it will be all machined metal with the bottom part being anodised red, and it will be spring working like the baker, :) then may be later on if all goes well do the sound one to?
Does that sound ok? thats not ment to be a joke....
Russ

I believe that a War Doctor Sonic from you would be a little slice of Heaven, regardless of its static or 'functional' state. Again, please keep us all posted, and count me in for the run!

One of the two prototypes has gone to a good home...

20140214_174957_zps10e2ac86.jpg

... ;)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back