Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model)

Hey Folks,

Happy New Year!

courtesy of a slew of snow days here in Philly, I just knocked out almost all of the details forward of the canopy in the ESB cockpit. Feast your eyes!

0001.png

0002.png

0003.png

You may notice on the above render, I haven't yet converted the forward facing panel on the console, but rest assured, I'll get to it.

0004.png

0005.png

Sofaking, I added some red piping on the main dash that I haven't been able to verify in color images, but seems to be there in B&W (such as the photo with Anthony Daniels.) If I recall correctly, you may have suggested something like this in the past, but I had resisted it for whatever reason (arrogance?), so I apologize, I think you were right on the money!

You know how when you soak a big furry dog, and it turns out there was a scrawny dog hiding under all that fur the whole time? It's something like that.

Honestly, I don't know how they fit Peter Mayhew in the set, but suffice it to say, you never directly see footage of Chewie getting up or sitting down.

...Sofaking, I added some red piping on the main dash that I haven't been able to verify in color images, but seems to be there in B&W (such as the photo with Anthony Daniels.) If I recall correctly, you may have suggested something like this in the past, but I had resisted it for whatever reason (arrogance?), so I apologize, I think you were right on the money!

No worries... If I remember, they were visible during RotJ looking forward from behind Lando...

Shadow of Reflection: Movie Screencaps R-S: Click image to close this window

Did you also add a white pinstripe on the outer edge of the matte box?

You may notice on the above render, I haven't yet converted the forward facing panel on the console, but rest assured, I'll get to it.

Hey S,

Since we're rebuilding the center console... I'll be very interested to see what direction you take when redesigning the console "nose". I've already gathered a few screen shots. I'll forward unless you already have them.

Could I ask soaking and steve if:

1) There is a best place for archival images of the falcon?
2) What blueprint, etc you used for the internal layouts? If you constructed yourselves, can you put up an over head shot?

Many Thanks

Someone mentioned sometime back that they would love to make their own falcon interior for a "playroom"/cinema. For some time I have been looking at putting my two kids in the same room together, part of that would mean having new beds, which I had thought would be great to have a "play area"/study space/toy space underneath them. Recently I had started to wonder about what could go in there, and I just know that my eldest would love a "working" falcon cockpit. I doubt it would be screen accurate, but all the work that has been done by everybody will at least make it feel some what right!

Edited:

Just thought I am going to have to keep those voice boxes currently in the legacy falcon, then put them in the falcon, so when she presses the hyperspace button it will make the noise!!

I have to say, Starkiller, your posts are a large part of why I signed up with the RPF - AMAZING WORK!!

(Long time listener, first time caller)

Hey Folks,

Happy New Year!

courtesy of a slew of snow days here in Philly, I just knocked out almost all of the details forward of the canopy in the ESB cockpit. Feast your eyes!

Sofaking, I added some red piping on the main dash that I haven't been able to verify in color images, but seems to be there in B&W (such as the photo with Anthony Daniels.) If I recall correctly, you may have suggested something like this in the past, but I had resisted it for whatever reason (arrogance?), so I apologize, I think you were right on the money!

The falcon is looking sooo sweet :) A regular feast for the eyes!!

Things must be serious I spent last night pricing up switches, lights, rocker switches, etc! Surprising how expensive some of these things are! Any advice from you soaking on keeping cost down?

Hi C,

Are you thinking of building a prop? If so, cool! :)

Most important - don't compromise yourself or your project. Always look for the best possible "greeblie" that fits your project. Keep your eyes open for deals on Ebay, Craigslist, local stores, and word of mouth. Don't think you can't barter as well. Ask the seller if they're willing to lower the price if you buy in bulk (I'm working on a bulk buy of rotary switches now).

Also, don't buy all at once. Depending on your schedule and finances, be realistic about your purchases. Sometimes you can buy one item and make casts to save on cost. It also helps to share the expense. If you're willing to share your build, find a willing partner who is as excited as you and carry the load.

These are off the top of my head. Hope this helps.

Hi C,

Are you thinking of building a prop? If so, cool! :)

Most important - don't compromise yourself or your project. Always look for the best possible "greeblie" that fits your project. Keep your eyes open for deals on Ebay, Craigslist, local stores, and word of mouth. Don't think you can't barter as well. Ask the seller if they're willing to lower the price if you buy in bulk (I'm working on a bulk buy of rotary switches now).

Also, don't buy all at once. Depending on your schedule and finances, be realistic about your purchases. Sometimes you can buy one item and make casts to save on cost. It also helps to share the expense. If you're willing to share your build, find a willing partner who is as excited as you and carry the load.

These are off the top of my head. Hope this helps.

just been looking at your panels are the buttons small plastic tiles? I will have to read all that thread. I was telling my father about your full scale build and he was in awe! Yes I am going to make a simple prop, so I don't want it to be accurate like yours, but it must feel right, else my fanatical daughter will say its not right.

just been looking at your panels are the buttons small plastic tiles? I will have to read all that thread. I was telling my father about your full scale build and he was in awe! Yes I am going to make a simple prop, so I don't want it to be accurate like yours, but it must feel right, else my fanatical daughter will say its not right.

I made an offer on 25 of the lever switches for about $9, so I will build up bit by bit, fortunately I earn a decent living so I can start collection of freebies, etc. I spotted some of the dome style lights (from a land rover as it happens) that look right, really cheap compared to buying from an electricals company.

I spotted some of the dome style lights (from a land rover as it happens) that look right, really cheap compared to buying from an electricals company.

WHOA WHOA WHOA... before we go any further... what did you find? :)

- - - Updated - - -

Not to hijack Starkillers thread... The tiles are 1" glass mosaic tiles I picked up at the local art supply store. I'll be more than happy to help out with your design. I see these panels in my sleep... ;)

They are the larger dome style lights, which you see splashed around, I saw them on rs components at $15 a pair. Often used inmachine console panels, they are indication lights in industry settings? About an inch across, inch high. There is someone selling them on eBay as they are used on old land rovers, they had 6 lights for around $11.

yeah I am sure you are sick of panels, just got to the bit on thread where chewies panel blew for you! Are you back lighting those tiles. I was considering using some Christmas led lights, but saw you had thought these too bright? Also looking at various old hifi kit for donor dials, etc. I am thinking that the handles might end up as turned wood.

Having seen you quad cannon I am now considering making a quad cannon for the top of one of the beds!

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry starkiller!

C,

Head over to my thread - check out these panel light lenes I found at a local electronics store that is going out of business. They have BOXES of green jewel lenses and smooth red lenses. They're are 1" in diam. I can pick up as many as you need

http://www.therpf.com/f79/1-1-mille...-group-build-147319/index177.html#post3184397

I'm not sick of the panels at all. I just see them in my sleep. :) All the tiles will be replaced with 3mm acrylic that will be cut at the local Maker's Lab. When all is said and done we'll be wiring over 2000 LEDs.

Head to Ebay for Vintage Dials and Knobs. I have BOXES of them. The quad is nothing more than MDF and PVC with greeblies. :)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back