Sam from Trick 'r Treat

For the round head of the costume I'd recommend using 1/2 inch or thinner upholstery foam and making a pattern for a ball, then using hot glue to adhere it together. I find tracing the lines on a basketball works quite well for a spherical pattern. Also, the upholstery foam is easy to work with and very light. You could easily cut a hole for your head to fit through the bottom and smaller other ones for ventilation, as I don't recommend sealing yourself into a foam ball, and definitely not a paper mache one at that.

Last edited:
I came back home today to find the first layer all cracked as it it shrunk while drying .. I guess that's normal .. perhaps I'll put less water in my next glue mix.

Anyway, I'll do the next layer today.

AS for the fabric, I was surprised to see how easy I found mine. And at 2 different textiles stores .. and I think the color is fairly accurate too.

I'm leaving to finish it and I'll have a full set of pictures later tonight.

Anyone noticed on the suit how they pinched the size to create more waves in the PJ? I plan on reproducing that also to create the same effect.

Here's what I mean ...
medium.jpg

I found the fabric at Joannes. I remember that there was a bunch of oranges. The fluroesent one, the regular bright orange, and the dark orange which looks dead on to the movie. I had taken the last of the fabric when I bought some, and then when I was back a few days later I saw them putting out a new one. I'm guessing its popular because of halloween.

Anyone noticed on the suit how they pinched the size to create more waves in the PJ? I plan on reproducing that also to create the same effect.

medium.jpg
[/q
uote]

funny you mention that. It does look like they did all that on purpose to make it look more dingy. I kinda did mine similar. There's one on ebay that's pretty cool, but way overpriced at like 900 bucks.

Which one is that? I can't seem to find the link.

By the way .. my PJ is pretty much done .. since I'm gonna be walking around with it, I didn't do the integrated shoes and my sleeves don't have an elastic at the end .. maybe I'll repro this is I have some time!

For now, I'm really satisfied with what I got...
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg

Looks great!

I have this three or four foot tall posable, stuffed witch character/decoration. I'm thinking I may just pick up a light-colored one-piece fleece sleeper, and maybe just spray-paint it orange for a quick and dirty front lawn decoration.

Maybe by spray-painting the fabric, it will come looking a bit dingy and mottled.

Thanks Rob,
By the way .. at this point, I have this thrown in the project ...

Orange fabric: 35$
Pattern: 5$
Buttons (eyes and crap flap): 5$
Burlap: 4$
Rope: 3$
balloon: 1$

About 8h on the sewing machine .. hey, I was a virgin before this project!
About 2h on the newspaper head!

Thanks Rob,
By the way .. at this point, I have this thrown in the project ...

Orange fabric: 35$
Pattern: 5$
Buttons (eyes and crap flap): 5$
Burlap: 4$
Rope: 3$
balloon: 1$

About 8h on the sewing machine .. hey, I was a virgin before this project!
About 2h on the newspaper head!

Nice beak-down. Not too bad in cost, overall. Looking forward to seeing how it all comes together! Will be intersting seeing it in adult size. How's progress?

I grabbed a lime-green onesie with a print on it. As predicted, painting didn't work to well (recall mine is for an outdoor display), but it could have been worse. The blacks of the print pattern just don't cover up with orange paint. I'll try hitting the black parts of the print with a white, then orange again.

Progress 's good .. althouigh, at this point, if I hit a wall .. I may not have time to finish this for saturday .. I'm busy as hell.

Still .. I began working on the gloves last night .. took some old garden gloves, cut off the fingers and glued burlap's strips over it with hot glue .. works like a charm .. and I'll be able to have exactly the result I want...

Added another layer of paper over the head .. will have to figure out how to wrap the burlap properly around it .. I think I'm gonna have to cut it a little to be able to do it .. if anyone else has suggestions on how to make the burlap more stretchable .. I'm all ears!

I'll post pics asa I have something more interesting to show.

Progress 's good .. althouigh, at this point, if I hit a wall .. I may not have time to finish this for saturday .. I'm busy as hell.

Still .. I began working on the gloves last night .. took some old garden gloves, cut off the fingers and glued burlap's strips over it with hot glue .. works like a charm .. and I'll be able to have exactly the result I want...

Added another layer of paper over the head .. will have to figure out how to wrap the burlap properly around it .. I think I'm gonna have to cut it a little to be able to do it .. if anyone else has suggestions on how to make the burlap more stretchable .. I'm all ears!

I'll post pics asa I have something more interesting to show.

Do you have a good ref pic of the hands? And what are you using around the neck?

Pics of the hands ..
118444037.jpg
118575461.jpg

118575462.jpg
118790469.jpg
118790470.jpg

As for the head .. I plan on applying the burlap from top center all around .. the mouth separation will help to wrap the fabric properly .. I can't seem to notice any other separation anywhere on the head .. it would have helped if the side would have that big sewing line too .. but it doesn't. So I guess I'll have to go around and eventually cut a slice out somewhere to be able to do wrap the sphere ...

Just blown the balloon, cut the bottom and that part is quite weak .. not too sure what to do at this point .. it's getting late!

Plus, last saturday, I noticed this lamp at a girlfriend's house ..
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/70103410

Now, I'm wondering if I shouldn't have fiberglassed over this shape as my base instead of the long process of newspaper'ing a balloon!!!

Would that work? If so, how much time does fiberglass take to cure? And would the lamp base be strong enough to support the fiberglass weight?

Input needed here ...

Last edited:
Right hand done.

Will work with the head I have .. now that it's cut .. since most of the bottom is gone to keep the shape as round as possible .. just need to place burlap over it .. I might still put foam all around to get a rounder shape and then, burlap over it.

Still need to figure out the inside : how to see, how to breath, how to have the head rotating properly...

from what i see on the head it's the four pieces of burlap( skins like a beachball) with a series of stiching right nect to eachother creating the width, the pattern should automatically take a round shape over your armature..sounds good in theory anyway...lol

I'm interested to see where you see it as 4 pieces?

The way I see it, is being 2 pieces sewn from the front colar all the way up and down at the back .. and beside the mouth, I can't see any other cut in the burlap ... ?

Pics of the hands ..

118790469.jpg
118790470.jpg

As for the head .. I plan on applying the burlap from top center all around .. the mouth separation will help to wrap the fabric properly .. I can't seem to notice any other separation anywhere on the head .. it would have helped if the side would have that big sewing line too .. but it doesn't. So I guess I'll have to go around and eventually cut a slice out somewhere to be able to do wrap the sphere ...

My guess is they did it sort of like a beach ball - skinny football shaped pieces to go around the sphere. Probably just did it souch that the seams mostly blended in.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back