Sam from Trick 'r Treat

Agreed!

That's why I'll need to tweak the pattern anyway. Worst case, I end up with boots to walk outside or socks inside .. if I ever get to the point where I need the feet to be a perfect match, I'll be plenty satisfied with the costume! :)

Agreed!

That's why I'll need to tweak the pattern anyway. Worst case, I end up with boots to walk outside or socks inside .. if I ever get to the point where I need the feet to be a perfect match, I'll be plenty satisfied with the costume! :)

Looks like your on the right track.

Sorry for the Sort of off topic question here, but does any one know the name of the music from the movie.

It kinda of sounds like a tatter tale song, it's really creepy sort of "freddy like"

It starts at about 1:26 in this trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggDNhd5FC2U

Can any one help?

Sewing of the costume is 80% done .. I messed up and cut a sleeve on the wrong side of the fabric so I'll need to get some more tomorrow and finish it. Also, will need a zipper or velcro and 2 more buttons for the flap on the back.

I thought I was smart by adding material to the already made pattern .. but now, my suit is really big .. REALLY big .. I float in it (I'll post pic of what it looks like) and although I know that it looks way too big .. I still liked that it isn't fit like on the pattern cover to give it more a child look if you know what I mean...

Here's the button painted on the burlap to get an idea of the final look of it. I'm quite happy with it!

And here's some caps from the movie I took as ref for the suit...

Nice!!! Post some pics when its done. How are you sewing the footie, with a machine or by hand?

I was trying to find some pics of what the top of the front looks like. I thought I saw a black button or two. And also was looking for where the zipper is, think its the line on the front because there's no seam on the back.

Well, I kinda messed up :)

I went to do the sewing at a friend's house (she has a machine instead of me doing all by hand) .. so I didn't have the movie nor my refs and OF COURSE I just did the caps) .. so for now, I didn't do the legs to go over the foot .. but I made the legs so long - I added 6" to the pattern legs and now I'm glad I did - that I'll be able to reduce them in diameter and make them less tubular at the ankle (if that's any clearer).

I also added around 4" of diameter to the pattern's legs (0" from under the arm pit to 4" around the end of the legs - wanted that big baggy look - but I think that was unnecessary and I'll probably remove it now. I'll take pictures before I do so.

As for the front ... there's pictures on the net that has buttons on the front (marketing sketches?) but then, a lot of other diffs too and also, there's other pictures with a big front sewing line (Sideshow doll). If you check my ref gallery here, you'll notice that there's none at all in the movie.

Which is why I changed the pattern to not have 2 half for the front, but only one big piece .. my zipper will be on the back and will reach under the flap.

Front w/ buttons

Front w/ line

Screen cap (no buttons, no line)

Yeah, I think I'm gonna head out and get a pattern soon here. I've got all the materials ready. You're right about the front seam, seems to be missing on the actual movie costume and I don't see one on the back in the screencaps. Maybe there's just the buttons on the top only. I might just do it with the seam, won't make all the much a difference.

Got a pattern today. Same brand as yours, they were on sale for 99 cents, great deal!!!

Gonna probably cut everything out tomorrow.

Thanks, I'll hit one tonight and grab this pattern since it will be cheaper then the cost of the tissue paper to make my own pattern. :lol

I will take a look at their buttons as well, but if I can't find anything I like, I'm considering making buttons out of sculpty.

So has anyone tackled the mask yet?

It's a work in progress ..

For now, I found a big 12" balloon which I over inflated .. then, I'll apply flour and water with paper over it until it hardens enough so that I have a base shape.

I plan on adding foam around that after..

Also, to prevent the bubble head effect, I have a crazy idea of getting a construction hat and fix the shape around it with metal wires .. not sure yet if that's all feasible in time! :)

Got the Pajamas done today. Here's a pic, mask is next. I plan on using one of those plastic pumpkins for the underneath. Sorry pic is from a camera phone...

pajamas.jpg

Veering slightly from the costume focus: I've heard that watching the film a second time really adds to the overall impression.

Do you all agree?

Yeah, I'd have to agree. I've seen the movie 3 times now and there always seem to be new things that pop up that you don't notice before. Plus, you can take in all the visuals better and appreciate all the small things that make it that much more cool.

Say hi to my new happy face friend ...
This is the base for my hopefully soon to finished head!

I'm 6'3" and I'm trying to figure out the best proportions for the head size .. I think I'm gonna go with a diameter of 15" ..

medium.jpg

Here's the way I did it ..

Flour, water and a bowl. Mix both ingredients, make sure it's not too thick or to watery as it'll make a mess! I used a silicon brush to apply it.

This took about 45 minutes to do.

NOTE I never thought the balloon would get so heavy from all the wet paper .. so I struggled twice to keep it up. Next time, I'll use a more stable base, and make sure to secure the balloon properly to the base and the base to your working table. You don't want this thing to fall over. Another small tip is to glue it symetrically around so that the weight stays balanced during the process ...

I'm not sure how many layers I need to do .. two? three? Anyone knows this?

medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg

Three layers should be fine I believe. I'm curious to see this mask since I plan to take a different approach after the holidays. My son won't need this costume until March next year for a con.

Did you guys have a hard time finding orange fleece? I went to my local JoAnns and the only orange fleece they had was a dark reddish fleece and a bright "safety orange" fleece. Neither are going to do I think.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back