Rubies Supreme Stormtrooper

The 501st has no "official stance" on recast items, but that doesn't mean that it's members don't have a stance also.

And I am not sure I understand what you mean by "If a particular branch doesn't have enough real 'troopers', they make them up, just to bolster the ranks."

I wonder how many people will actually purchase one. Not many people I know of purchased the Darth Vader version.

I did. And was fairly dissapointed with it. The mask being the most dissapointing.

They fooled those of us who bought it with the pictures they advertised with.

It took a lot of modding and I'd still like to pitch the mask. Even the portumac one would be a welcome change. A shame he doesn't sell them anymore.

Helmet wise I believe theyve reused the Don Post Deluxe/Classic Action mould, which makes me wonder if the whole armour will be a kind of vinyl.

st_ca_side2.JPG

Cheers

Jez

Yep. I've got one myself. Just a DP C/A helmet, which you can still find on ebay. IIRC, DP actually mirrored HALF of an original ROTJ bucket (why, who knows!) to creat the form. This was the same mold used for the standup "statue" Stormtrooper sold through Sharper Image, as well as the RARE DP fiberglass Deluxe helmet.

That promo pic is about as far from accurate as you can get...

Stormtroopers can't hit the broadside of a barn firing with two hands, and this guy is shooting one handed...

:lol :lol

Horrid. Hope to see that one go away. The Vader is a Joke, the Trooper is more of one. I would even say IMO if you toss the Lid, the FX is better... (gasp) :confused

Delete my account here. I have had it with all you "Prop" guys. 501st and recasting.

Dude, those who keep that alive need lives. Go Troop, help a Kid and Shut Up.

Sit in your stuffy office with all your toys and reflect on what you could have done.

Im out.

Last edited:
Delete my account here. I have had it with all you "Prop" guys. 501st and recasting.

Wow, only a member here since last March and already throwing in the towel... don't you think that's kind of a 'thin skinned' attitude to have? :wacko Good thing you wern't around during the armor wars. :lol

Dude, those who keep that alive need lives. Go Troop, help a Kid and Shut Up.

Sit in your stuffy office with all your toys and reflect on what you could have done.

Im out.

Well, if you're just going to sit there and insult people over the internet then good riddance, your presence is unwelcome.

Also, learn how to structure your sentences so people can understand what you're saying. I can't figure out what you're pissed at aside from "Prop" guys. :rolleyes

:cool You gotta have a pair of brass ones too wear any of Rubies offerings in their SW costume range!

True, however someone i know bought the rubies vader and immediatley improved it by combining his MR ROTS Vader helmet.

the helmet draws the eye so the crappyness of the suit is in the background making it accurate enough in your peripheral vision.

True, however someone i know bought the rubies vader and immediatley improved it by combining his MR ROTS Vader helmet.
the helmet draws the eye so the crappyness of the suit is in the background making it accurate enough in your peripheral vision.
I know it's a bit OT, but do you have a picture of that?

The "crappiness" of the suit?

Gee.

Well, I too have a Rubies Supreme Vader suit. Since buying it, I've added an MR Vader lid, Porty chest box, SA ROTS gloves and ROTS aluminum buckle, ABS shins and fabricated my own screen accurate ROTS armor chain.

I've retained the bits of the costume that are accurate. And I may re-do my Rubies chest box as that piece is in fact more accurate than any fan-made ROTS chest box.

So, I'd say my modified Rubies Vader is far from "crappy". When I finally finish it by repainting the chest armor, I'd put it up against any ROTS Vader. And when I wore it this past Halloween, I got more than my fair share of great reactions.

So yeah, I have brass ones . Here's a guy with a Rubies suit and an MR lid:

http://www.darthlarsen.com/sithlord...2&t=1955&sid=0a3874fe7cda82b1795b752ed636fb03

Mine will look every bit as good as that. So, based on this guy's work alone, further criticisms against modified Rubies Vader costumes are clearly completely groundless. Jealous, anyone?

Getting back a bit closer to the topic of this thread, concerning the FX trooper costumes, what are the issues with them? I'm 6'1. Would I look like a bobble head in that costume? They look nice in the eBay listings and the price is quite good - less than half of the likely price of the Rubies trooper.

Huzz

Gee.

Well, I too have a Rubies Supreme Vader suit. Since buying it, I've added an MR Vader lid, Porty chest box, SA ROTS gloves and ROTS aluminum buckle, ABS shins and fabricated my own screen accurate ROTS armor chain.

I've retained the bits of the costume that are accurate. And I may re-do my Rubies chest box as that piece is in fact more accurate than any fan-made ROTS chest box.

So, I'd say my modified Rubies Vader is far from "crappy". When I finally finish it by repainting the chest armor, I'd put it up against any ROTS Vader. And when I wore it this past Halloween, I got more than my fair share of great reactions.

So yeah, I have brass ones . Here's a guy with a Rubies suit and an MR lid:

http://www.darthlarsen.com/sithlord...2&t=1955&sid=0a3874fe7cda82b1795b752ed636fb03

Mine will look every bit as good as that. So, based on this guy's work alone, further criticisms against modified Rubies Vader costumes are clearly completely groundless. Jealous, anyone?

Getting back a bit closer to the topic of this thread, concerning the FX trooper costumes, what are the issues with them? I'm 6'1. Would I look like a bobble head in that costume? They look nice in the eBay listings and the price is quite good - less than half of the likely price of the Rubies trooper.

Huzz

I think the bashing is directed more towards the "out-of-the-box" Rubies Vader, and the way they were a let down of what was originally shown. I don't think anyone here has been bashing people's modified versions.

I know it's a bit OT, but do you have a picture of that?

indeed, this is the only decent one
dv.jpg

i simply meant in comparison to the MR Vader lid, the quality of that draws your attention away from the fact that while the rubies costume has its good points its not perfect when taken straight from the box. in the pic above the only change is the helmet. i think with mods the rubies can be greatly improved and its a good starting point for people who have never really got involved with costuming or propmaking, and its a good priject for people who want to mod it.

apologies if i offended.

Last edited:
when does 'modified' become 'replaced' though?
Different helmet ($799+) Check
Different chest box? ($150+)Check
Different belt buckle? ($28+)Check
Different shins ($80-$125)? Check
Different gloves?($54) Check
So, low range on the Supreme suit on Ebay is $500 so assuming thats what you paid then you paid $500 for vinyl bodysuit, vinyl cod, thin plastic shoulder armor, thin synthetic cape set and belt boxes and a min $1200 to upgrade the $500 suit.
Through folks like custom props you can get a NICE vinyl body suit for like $150, gloves and Cod set (nice) for $99 and cape/cloak set for like $250 and an rots belt from porty for $125.
I guess my point is with higher quality alternatives around why bother 'modifying' a rubies when you could have built the whole thing from scratch, with better quality pieces all the way around? After all your mods its not a Rubies anymore anyway.

Yeah... that looks better. And I agree... the Supreme helmet is no beauty.

I guess my point is with higher quality alternatives around why bother 'modifying' a rubies when you could have built the whole thing from scratch, with better quality pieces all the way around? After all your mods its not a Rubies anymore anyway.
What I've heard is the thought of having a full suit from the beginning and not just bits and pieces... it is not always about the money... but how you feel about owning a Vader.

Heck... if you become an accuracy not... most likely, once you've got all those scratch-collected pieces together, you'll still be updating down the line with more accurate stuff.

I dunno... I guess it's the thought of having a complete Vader from the get-go instead of just bits and pieces waiting for other pieces.

Who knows... maybe I'm off in the deep end and just rambling! :)

i simply meant in comparison to the MR Vader lid, the quality of that draws your attention away from the fact that while the rubies costume has its good points its not perfect when taken straight from the box. in the pic above the only change is the helmet. i think with mods the rubies can be greatly improved and its a good starting point for people who have never really got involved with costuming or propmaking, and its a good priject for people who want to mod it.

apologies if i offended.

Thanks for that!!

And No HumorMan - I guess I agree too.:) There is something to be said for a complete "out of the box, ready to Sith-choke" Vader costume.

Onigiri - you have to realize that the common tie that binds us Vader costumers together is our enjoyment of that hobby. While many of you knew of the RPF and the nuanaces of the Vader costume, others like me did not - and bought the Rubies. And then we found out about its shortcomings. And also took a lot of heat from some seasoned Vaders who really tended to disparage what we had spent our hard erned money on. Hindsight being 20/20, yes I would have done things as you say if I had known. But I've worked hard at mine and I'm justifiably proud of it.

So thanks for your supportive comments.:thumbsup

To my other question, is the FX trooper set really that bad? It looks alright to me, and its half the price of the new Rubies. Li ke I said, I'm 6'1 so I'm wondering if perhaps I'd avoid the bobble head look.

Thanks again,
Huzz

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back