The Supreme Crossguard

guabe

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Back in 2015 i went to Star Wars Celebration in Aneheim, less than a month from the release of the Force Awakens. It was my first Celebration and wow what an experience, it all started with the TFA trailer and that last line, Chewie were home. Of course I cried. During my visit i went to an exhibit of the TFA props and costums and I saw this:
20150417_103601.jpg

I took plenty of pics and I became obseced with this hilt. So I decided to 3d model it and created this thread: Kylo Ren Saber hollow hilt for electronics

This thread prety much launched my carrear as a hilt designer, thanks to Derrek Day from Phoanix Props who saw potential in this hilt and we made it in metal. This hilt is now a days refferd as the PPV1. About a year later we made the PPV2, cause once the movie came out and a lot more info was available, we had to make it better. Another year passed and Ep 8 came and we did The light - Ben solo.

Unfortunately right after this I took a production mgr role and had no time for this hobby so I had to drop. In March of 2018 a fellow by the name of Henry Jonathan Bartsch approched me and he was wondering if we would ever do a V3, he had some observations and improvements to make. Sure bro what else? LOL Anyways I told him that we were delivering the light and could probably do a v3 in the future.

Since i was prety much MIA Derrek worked with SP and they made the V3. So I was pretty much done with Kylo. However Henry was incisting on those improvements. So I started working with Henry as much as I could. He was happy with as little as I could give. 2019 came and we did very little progress, but by years end I switch roles again and and was apointed Engineering Mgr. My time was freed up a lot and was able to model a lot. in 2020 is where Henry and I made a ton of progress in fact I re started from scratch because it was easier for me tan having to go back and change the models I had. Besides the other models beloged to Derrek wo it was the right thing to do.

We spent hundreds and hundreds of hours going back and forth in this model. I made a render and Henry would find another but of detail that was not right or missing... I sent him this image hundreds of time with small increments or tweaks in every one:
comparisonv2.jpg

This happened all 2020, 2021, by that time we were getting close so we had a shop lined up to produce this hilt but, well it didnt happen. We decided to go to another shop and I had to make some changes cause at this point the hobby had matured and we were mostly doing neopixels and chassis and such, so All the internals were improved. By 2022 we were ready but again not much happened.

I was beggining to believe that this was going to be a vapor trail, but in 2023 Derrek and I were talking again and one thing lead to another and it was like yes we must do this one last time. So The Supreme Crossguard was coined. We worked on this again hearing Derreks recomendaitons, this was very important cause we wanted to eliminate the problems we had in the past, like wobble, 3 screws to remove the bottom, splicing the red wire or sliding it all out for internal access, etc.

We worked on this all 2023 and finally today the project was announced, The supreme crossguard is happening. I am so happy that after 5 years of hard work this will be realized. It has come full circle, to were it all started for me.
420097406_878925540900084_5473389479935981747_n.jpg

Features:
- It has more than 100 pieces
- Fully removable body to expose the chassis.
- Thinner grip (38mm)
- No more wobble
- No more read wire splicing or sliding out when removing the grip
- Flipable, clockable lower core to mimmic several scenes or exibit hilts
- Standard chassis similar to the Crossection reference in the visual dictionary

This will be a limited Run by Phonix Props, stay tunned for more info on price and lunch date.

Very special thanks to the sould of this project Henry J. Bartsch, for his incredible insight and keen eye for details. If it were not for him, I would have never pushed my self on doing another Kylo far more complex than anything I've ever drafted.

TSC04.pngTSC05.pngTSC06.pngTSC07.png
Open01.jpgOpen02.jpgbodychassis01.png

Last edited:
Henry here, very flattered and honored to be a part of this passion project. Let me just second how much time, effort, and frankly pure heart and soul was put into capturing every detail as accurately as possible. We went back and forth on every little angle and curve, every dimension of this thing has been criticized over again and again for the last 5 years.
Here’s a great picture that demonstrates this just to give you an idea, photogrammetry was used to meticulously create the most accurate model possible, even tracing the exact obscure shape of the open gash on the shroud that exposes the core. This kind of attention to detail has never been achieved before on a Crossguard!
IMG_7980.jpeg

Also I thought it would be good to post a copy of this promo image here. This is the Hero Prop our model is based on, where our wire clip locations and everything else is derived from.

IMG_7978.jpeg

I've got my hand of KR Sabers crossguard back then, it does look nice but i must say, i'm not a fan of the red wire splice. It just ruined the lightsaber feeling and moment whenever I open bottom half. So this is something that peeked my interest.

I've got my hand of KR Sabers crossguard back then, it does look nice but i must say, i'm not a fan of the red wire splice. It just ruined the lightsaber feeling and moment whenever I open bottom half. So this is something that peeked my interest.
Yes thats the one thing that bother me the most. The red wire either spliced or had to pull it out. So i had to make the top shroud be attached to the grip.
The aditional benefit is that the top engine is exposed when u remove the body. The top engine is my favorite part of the hilt.

I'm supposed the engine will be in metal? IIRC, only SP Sabers Darkness V3 have their engine made in metal.
All metal, top and bottom engines. These are the largest subassemblies, containing most of the pieces.
IMG_20240121_104816.jpgIMG_20240121_105046.jpgIMG_20240121_105004.jpg

Last edited:
Look at the massive BOM. Haha. I couldnt find any information on the side quillon, but i might misssed it out. I'm supposed its steel since it has been the standard for heat staining nowadays. Haha
Oh yes steel is std for the quillions now and will be part of this too.

Would it be possible to flip the pommel engine to make a TRoS accurate Crossguard? Because to this day no one has done a TRoS Kylo, it's always TFA/TLJ

Any plans to have the entire pommel removable, like the construction of the real prop? The “cage” was a separate piece from the saber itself. You can see a gap here:

IMG_4402.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back