Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

I watched this for the second time today and I've got to say that now K2SO is my fourth favorite droid of all time (C-3PO, R2, HK47, and K2SO). I think I felt worse when he died than the others.

I thought this movie fit in way better than TFA in the nostalgia area. TFA tried to follow other stories too closely where RO had a new story that fit into an existing story. IMO anyway.

yep, I understand that part of it.

But R1 is basically a New Hope Part .2

With some ROTJ mixed in.

TFA is basically A New Hope .3

star wars rebels basically leads up to a new hope.....and...

well it obviously feels like they are just playing it super safe with stuff that should easily win people over :)

i think the real test will be if they move away from established.
This is it.

They have dissected Star wars into a list of tropes. Some worked. Some didn't.

So they now have an algorithm to slot in the working tropes. (Except they have them wrong. They think "iconic" is the same thing as "worked")

So now every movie is going to have blue milk and we'll get stupid cameos like ponda baba.

The other two issues I have with Disney wars is that now that everything is canon, they aren't trying to create a larger universe. They just see this as one long story and they're trying to quickly fill in every gap they can. Can you believe they had the audacity to extend ANH by 2 hours with rogue one? It's almost like they got a different director to make a director's cut.

And the other issue I have is their designs. I am so tired of seeing tributes to mcquarrie. I've got the concept art books. They are awesome. But I don't want to sit down to a brand new Star wars adventure to look at concept art that I saw 20 years ago.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Well, the Death Star was supposed to be at the end of the Luke arc -- i.e., what we ended up getting as ROTJ. Since he thought Star Wars was going to be his one shot at it, George lifted it from that part of the story and plunked it in earlier in the story... Then, when he got to that point, trather than come up with a different maguffin, he just did another Death Star, but made it bigger and more powerful. So recycling concepts started then, and continued when the big bad thingie that needed blown up in TPM was again a spherical ship (inside of a ring ship), that was again taken out by a couple missiles to the main reactor. So we were stuck on this Wraparound Background well before TFA.

But I think the episode numbers need to be adjusted as new installments get added. Each season of Rebels should be an episode, Rogue One should follow on to that, A New Hope should follow on to that... And so on. If Clone Wars got rejiggered into three or four episodes, and assuming the standalone Obi-Wan film, that would bump A New Hope out to about Episode XIII or so. Because all of those follow the same core characters (and their descendants) through the same directly-related adventures. True non-episodic films would be things like the young Han film (i.e., before his path crossed that of the Saga) or a conjectural Vader film (showing Anakin's fall form his POV/justifications). There also really needs to be a "Shattered Empire" animated series that fills at least a good chunk of the time between ROTJ and TFA -- establishment of New Republic, Battle of Jakku, Imperial surrender, Luke's training center, etc.

--Jonah

At this point, Star wars reminds me of a band that, after 20 years and massively sold out stadiums, parted ways with their founding member.

And then the first new album they do is a reworking of their old demos.

But that's okay because they now have a very successful line of hair products

I saw this, Valarian vs. Star Wars comparison. Pretty interesting. I plan on going to see Valarian next weekend.
b57b6f7eea104b7501ed16619363c053.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I saw this, Valarian vs. Star Wars comparison. Pretty interesting. I plan on going to see Valarian next weekend.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170409/b57b6f7eea104b7501ed16619363c053.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I hadn't heard of that so I just started the trailer. It looks pretty cool so I shut the trailer off. I'm think it might like the fifth Element. A lot of very familiar visual cues but it stands on it's own

Idea for an alternate ending to Rogue One

https://np.reddit.com/r/fixingmovie...r_wars_story/dfq17wz/?st=j1b58rs0&sh=893716d2

Krennic should have shot Jyn at the top of the tower just before she could pull the lever to transmit the plans. Tarkin should have blasted the horizon just to explicitly **** with Krennic while taking the Death Star for himself once and for all. Seeing that the Empire had finally ****ed him over as well after listening to Jyn's speech about the Empire being ********, Krennic should have pulled the lever and transmitted the plans moments before death.

This would have made all of Jyn's speeches actually have something to do with the plot, and created a theme of the Rebellion being an idea that jumps from person to person. It also would have made the Empire's ultimate downfall the clear result of Tarkin's hubris.

And the other issue I have is their designs. I am so tired of seeing tributes to mcquarrie. I've got the concept art books. They are awesome. But I don't want to sit down to a brand new Star wars adventure to look at concept art that I saw 20 years ago.

I don't have a problem with it right now, because there are a LOT of cool things that weren't used. However I can see how it could get out of hand and lazy designers will use that stuff instead of coming up with new things. IMO, one of the only good designs in TFA was the McQuarrie style X-Wing (and Star Destroyer).

so, after a second complete viewing...(first being theater)

- the two romantic leads don't even get a kiss at the end (cause that would show weakness in a femenist movie world, of course!)

- The goofy malfunctioning doorway jyn had to jump through to reach the top of the tower (ala galaxy quest)

- an admiral who can survive a shot straight through the chest long enough to get blown up by his own invention.

- three minor characters who don't do much other than plot exposition (one throws the switch, one sets up the switch, one covers the guy throwing the switch)

Do we know if the ghost survived this battle?

could be where rebels ends :). also interesting to note that mothma mentioned obi wan directly, and not ezra...

I do wonder if the movie would have been better, or worse if it didn't have all the editing problems and change in direction and inside politics.
oh, and tarkin and Leia didn't look as bad on the small screen, but tarkin looked better.

That doorway was TOTALLY out of galaxy quest! In fact, that whole contraption was from that movie.

Absurd

don't forget the stealing of deep imact's ending.

watching a little of the amazon video extras....

'we wanted this to be a real diverse group of characters and show them become true rebels'
so long as you have the han architype, the luke architype, the.. ;o)

the only time you really see kathleen kennedy light up is when she talks about jyn.

Apparently this was only the directors second movie? why do you give a big tent pole franchise to someone who's only done one thing?.

don't forget the stealing of deep imact's ending.

watching a little of the amazon video extras....

'we wanted this to be a real diverse group of characters and show them become true rebels'
so long as you have the han architype, the luke architype, the.. ;o)

the only time you really see kathleen kennedy light up is when she talks about jyn.

Apparently this was only the directors second movie? why do you give a big tent pole franchise to someone who's only done one thing?.
I think they want nobodies because they want to control the situation. Abrams was an anomaly but generally Disney picks people who've done well on a small scale and don't​ really have a style yet. Who directed all this Pixar movies? MCU movies?

If you know their name, often it's because of the Disney movie they did, not from before

The other part of that is to create the magic Lucas had. He was a rebel in the industry when he did Star wars. So they want fans to think they are capturing that type of lighting in a bottle

Last edited:
My brother surprised me with the target exclusive last night. I didn't get to watch the bonus footage yet but I did watch r1

I totally agree with everyone who said Tarkin has had more work done to him

Has it been confirmed leia was NOT touched up? I swear she looks better too!

There was 1 other scene that looked different to me but I can't think of it now... if I do remember I'll report back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And the whole "relying on nostalgia" thing, when the entire premise of Star Wars was to hearken back to the Saturday morning movie serials of the 1940s and '50s (they originally started all the way back in the 1910s, yeah, but were at about their most popular in the decade or two prior to the rise of episodic television) that George watched when he was a kid.

--Jonah

Criticizing "relying on nostalgia"....hmm... on the one hand, I understand the underlying criticism of "You're just doing iterations of the same story over and over. We need something new." But I thought R1 really was something new, especially in its tone. It's a lot darker and more somber than anything we've seen, including ESB and the end of ROTS. It's a tragic film with a glimmer of hope at the end of it, and the entire film plays that way from start to finish. That's new, even if the macguffin around which everything revolves is old.

Honestly, watching the film made me feel like I was watching someone's kickass campaign from West End Games' old Star Wars RPG, featuring an overall victory with a total party kill at the end. I think that's a good thing. It hits the sweet spot of really feeling like Star Wars, while expanding the universe considerably and introducing a bunch of concepts that are new to a lot of people who only ever consume Star Wars through the movies they watch (e.g., they don't read the novels or comics, they've never played the RPG in any iteration, they've never played a SW video game, they don't watch Rebels or Clone Wars, etc.).

I want to see the rest of the Star Wars galaxy explored as much as anyone else, and I, too, am a little concerned with telling backstories for all of the characters (e.g. Han, Obi-Wan), but I think people need to keep in mind what R1 proved:

You can introduce new characters to the story, and audiences will care about them. We aren't stuck with just telling stories about the OT heroes or the PT heroes or the NT heroes. We can tell stories about other people and they will be financial successes. I suspect we will start to see a gradual move to introduce more stuff that isn't directly related to the OT as time wears on, stories that are set in the same universe, but which don't rely upon the OT to tell them. But that will happen by degrees.

This can be tough for hardcore fans like folks here to recognize, but for many, many, many people, "Star Wars" is (well, was, until recently) three movies, some dumb movies that came later but were set before, a new film that had another big Death Star thingy and a female lead, and maybe a dimly remembered television thing featuring ewoks or Carrie Fisher singing badly. That and a ton f merchandising. That's what people knew "Star Wars" as. Getting them to the point where they can conceive of and appreciate any kind of "expanded universe" is a slow process. Throw 'em too far into the deep end, and the film won't be recognizably "Star Wars." Make the universe too different, and you have the same problem. So, yeah, the designs will harken back to McQuarrie because most people don't own the concept art book and have never seen that stuff. The plot will seem very familiar (for the first few films), because people are just getting used to the notion of there being actual stories beyond the core films.

TFA releaunched what was essentially a dead franchise, as far as films were concerned. R1 launched that franchise's "expanded universe" for the masses. The Han Solo film will probably introduce us to a whole underworld and new set of characters, and may serve as a launch point for their stories. Folks familiar with the concept of a "back door pilot" in television may get what I'm suggesting here. If not for the newly introduced characters, we may see that for the settings and concepts.

Side note: although it's a lot slower than modern movies, The Dam Busters is a great film, and I highly recommend it. Especially for Star Wars fans and fans of WWII history.

Meh. I see that less as "rebellion" and more as petty "F--- me? F--- you!"

Reading comments like R1 being constructed around an SJW agenda is a nice reminder that not all opinions are remotely valid.

Yeah, that's just absurd. Sorry, but it's time for folks to let this one go.

Star Wars movies are gonna be about heroes other than dudes. They're gonna feature prominent characters played by people of color, too. That's because that's the world we live in, and because it makes for better stories than ONLY ever telling tales about the heroic deeds of white guys. Star Wars is for everyone, not just for you.

And the conceit that Disney is hiring directors who are less known so that they can excersise more creative control is nonsense. R1's Gareth Edwards and hus creative team were given complete control of their narrative vision, so much so that Gareth was amazed the studio encouraged him to have the less than happy ending for the characters. Disney is searching for and finding talented people to craft these films.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back