Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

Random thoughts while watching this again:

Why would the rebellion risk a small squad of fighters to attack the Eadu base to killer Galen when they know the Death Star was just functional enough to destroy Jedha? Is Galen really that important anymore once they know the thing is operational? Is it because it's the only lead they have at this point, not knowing about the weakness yet?

Why would the rebellion risk a small squad of fighters to attack the Eadu base to killer Galen when they know the Death Star was just functional enough to destroy Jedha? Is Galen really that important anymore once they know the thing is operational? Is it because it's the only lead they have at this point, not knowing about the weakness yet?

Because "There is no Death Star"

Ben

At that point they are not trying to "stop" the Death Star but trying to kill what they believe to be the Empire's top weapons scientist.

so, i'm watching a little more of it on demand for only my second viewing..

It's a little more fun the second time around, but not by much more.
I still say disney is relying way too much on nostalgia rather than blazing new ground. and we still don't really know what they are properly capable of.

I still say at times it feels more like a middle east epic then star wars, due to lack of visible aliens and alien languages and creatures and droids.
throwing in a few storm troopers and walkers to remind us it's star wars doesn't count.
I also noticed this time that the storm troopers had their own thundertank driving around the sacred city. design was pretty damn close.

It's kind of as if nolan took on star wars and took out all the fantasy elements but the most recognizable stuff.

Add to it it feels like this movie was built around a SJW agenda with all the controversy, and ugh. it sucks out half the fun for me right there.

It's far from the worst movie of last year (Id4 2 i think might hold that record)...but I still felt TFA was a bit more fun, even with that movies flaws on it's own.

Watched it another 3 times now since I got my blu ray copy. Really love this movie. It was spot on for me. I love the fact that they are throwing in the nostalgia. It's something the prequels could have benefited from. There's enough new as well. TFA and RO actually felt like Star Wars movies whereas to me the prequels didn't. I like the prequels,don't get me wrong,but half the time they just felt like a chore to watch instead of the fun ride these movies offer. People are trying to dig too deep into things instead of just enjoying the ride for what it is. FUN.

Ben

I bought the super-mega 5 disc blu-ray version from Target and I've watched the movie a few times and watched all of the bonus material.

Am I missing something? Are there no deleted scenes ?

No deleted scenes. Too much material. You'd essentially get a whole new movie if they put the deleted and alternate scenes back in. I'm personally hoping we eventually get an alternate directors cut or something like that in the future.

And the whole "relying on nostalgia" thing, when the entire premise of Star Wars was to hearken back to the Saturday morning movie serials of the 1940s and '50s (they originally started all the way back in the 1910s, yeah, but were at about their most popular in the decade or two prior to the rise of episodic television) that George watched when he was a kid.

--Jonah

So, you'd rather always have something connected to the main trilogy? always tarkin, always vader, always a star destroyer here or there?

I will give thme props that this was one movie without jedi...

But I'd love to see a Rogue Squadron movie, done sometime after Jedi that shows them mopping up imperials. other than wedge, all new characters.

I'd just like to see what they can do without relying on luke, or han or darth.

then we'll know if the saga has staying power outside the main characters like it does with the books.

but i understand that at this point, that is too much to gamble for after such a huge purchase, so i will wait a while.

Assuming my opinion matters because it's not part of the 'happy must like everything' club ;o)

Well, the serials that George was evoking followed one central set of characters through the series. They didn't do half a dozen about Flash Gordon and then have one about the guy piloting the next ship over. So in that respect, they're sort of straitjacketed by that original core premise. Some definitely see that as too restrictive. I'm one of those writers who likes the challenge of seeing what I can do inside of a scaffold like that.

As for the repeating elements, that's also George's vision they're following. "It's like a poem -- it rhymes". I don't mind George as idea guy, so long as others are doing the actual writing and directing.

For me, it comes down to that there will be people who applaud the current creative people for following George's original guidelines, and there will be people who want all Lucasian influence jettisoned. No, I don't think they've nailed it. Yes, I have issues with some of their creative choices (Rogue One should be a numbered episode, with some effort to better tie it to the throughline, they dropped the ball in covering what happened between ROTJ and TFA, plus many George-related rants), but overall I enjoy the basics of the stories we've been given, and have since I was two years old. *shrug*

--Jonah

yep, I understand that part of it.

But R1 is basically a New Hope Part .2

With some ROTJ mixed in.

TFA is basically A New Hope .3

star wars rebels basically leads up to a new hope.....and...

well it obviously feels like they are just playing it super safe with stuff that should easily win people over :)

i think the real test will be if they move away from established.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back