--Maxi-Brute

Still to be added (by me) are:
--Revell "pocket"
--Revell "standard"
--Salzo Studio Scale

Additional kits I don't have direct access to:
--Rodmart
--FM 1:48

Another you could possibly include as well (however I doubt you have access to it) is the latest Hasbro Vintage Collection Red 3 as that is slightly longer in the nose than the Hasbro FX toy.

And here it is :

Upon closer inspection it will definitely require quite a bit of cleaning up, sanding etc... And i'll have to be extra careful if I decide to stick with the factory paintjob and just do a weathering.

I think I should definitely start with the smaller kit lol

Looks like the usual Reve;l deal to be honest, you get what you pay for: mediocre, but fantastic potential for any modeller with half a brain. I'll prolly have to pick one of these up; anyone know pricing/availability in the UK?

Revel did a good job with their similar scaled TIE fighter last year, so I was hoping for more from this X-Wing. It still has potential with some work, or maybe a lot of work, still disappointing. Thanks for the review.

I think this kit can be turned into a extremely nice piece.

I've always maintained that the paint job is as important, if not more so, than the physical accuracy of the model.

Its the finish folks notice first and last...

Think about it...

Imagine a build thread on a beautifully contructed Salzo or Rodmart kit, but with a ****-poor paint job. Would you take the time to even open the images?

On the other hand, consider a build that has what pops to you as a ILM "studio perfect" paint job on a less-than-accurate kit. I'd presume you'd be more apt to then devote more time to enjoying the images, only to perhaps later realize or critique the less-than-perfect physical details.

Remember Spock to Valeris in Star Trek VI? "Ah, logic is only the beginning of wisdom..." In my opinion, physical accuracy is only the beginning of true art.

Enough philosophy.

Here are a couple paint jobs I'm particularly fond of on base models that Studio Scale purists would scream over the physical inaccuracies...

X015JPG.jpg

XW0025.jpg

Last edited:
The two models on the table are my Hasbro toy, and the ERTL Pro-Shop. The individual shot is the Hasbro toy.

Both are heavily modified. But on those rare moments I actually take time to enjoy these, it is the paint finish on these models that I am most proud of.

I think you guys are right. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well. A complete paintjob definitely seems to increase both the quality of the final display piece and the satisfaction of the build.

So I guess I need to put my fears aside, feed myself with tutorial videos, reference pictures and inspirational builds.

Probably going to need to buy an airbrush though. Unless using cans for the larger areas and a brush for the details is something worth considering.

I'm actually looking around for techniques and supplies that would allow me to do a complete paintjob without the use of an airbrush. As a beginner I really want to master actual model building before trying my hand at airbrushing, and there seems to be a lot of interesting methods.

I'll definitely be tackling the smaller X-Wing first, and based on past experiences i'm pretty sure I can come up with something display worthy with the stock paintjob and a convincing weathering. Then, after a few standard kits, i'll take on the big X-Wing and see if I can completely repaint it.

I guess i'll start my own thread when I get started as there are soooo many talented model builders on the RPF that your advice will be more than welcome.

That's very cheap indeed! I guess for that price I could just buy one and see how terrible I am at it lol

Sorry, but are people seriously saying this is a worse buy than the Hasbro toy? In the UK they sell for around £70 to £100! Even at its currently rather high price this new Revell kit only costs about £8 more than the Lego X-wing.

Looking at this video: X-Wing: Hasbro vs. Studio Scale Model Pt 1/3 - YouTube I would say that this new kit seems like a far more accurate base for conversion than the Hasbro toy. Just look at the proportions.

3djinn I agree with you, the Hasbro models, at least in Europe, are pretty expensive toys for what it is (still much more accurate compared to what they used to be 10 years ago, I know it for a fact I have one POTF Tie Fighter from 1997 and when I look at the latest Tie from Hasbro, it's night and day). I think people in the thread were a bit disappointed the Revell was not at the level of a Fine Molds model because for sure it is not, so maybe they prefer trying to mod a cheap Hasbro model even if the Revell one is still slightly better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this kit can be turned into a extremely nice piece.

I've always maintained that the paint job is as important, if not more so, than the physical accuracy of the model.

Its the finish folks notice first and last...

Think about it...

Imagine a build thread on a beautifully contructed Salzo or Rodmart kit, but with a ****-poor paint job. Would you take the time to even open the images?

On the other hand, consider a build that has what pops to you as a ILM "studio perfect" paint job on a less-than-accurate kit. I'd presume you'd be more apt to then devote more time to enjoying the images, only to perhaps later realize or critique the less-than-perfect physical details.

Remember Spock to Valeris in Star Trek VI? "Ah, logic is only the beginning of wisdom..." In my opinion, physical accuracy is only the beginning of true art.

Enough philosophy.

Here are a couple paint jobs I'm particularly fond of on base models that Studio Scale purists would scream over the physical inaccuracies...

View attachment 255742

View attachment 255743

Couldn't agree more! The best model can be ruined by a bad paint job, but well done paint work can make up for a lot of a models weak points.

I was so eagerly awaiting this kit. I saw it at Telford SMW. I have now picked one up and im not disapointed. Ive started converting mine. So far the things i will be correcting are the cockpit. Its very basic
Lower fuselage has that annoying kink in it that the AMT one did. That was easily fixed by chopping the underside of the lower fuselage off and fitting a new flatter one from plasticard.
Engines need separating from the main intake parts and the fronts reshaping.
Droidstrip on top needs tweaking
The door/ access hatch on the underside of the fuselage needs adding
Intakes need thinning a little
New paint and LEDs / fibre optics.
Thats all i am personally doing to mine. As others have said if it had at minimal some good weathering it would look superb. Im really greatful to Revell for this one. The days of me affording Studio scale resin kits has long gone , and this is a great model for the money.

What gets me is that they invested a lot of money in a totally brand new model kit of one of the most iconic spaceships ever to hit the silver screen and made it only marginally better than a 20 year old toy.

So far the things i will be correcting are the cockpit. Its very basic
Lower fuselage has that annoying kink in it that the AMT one did. That was easily fixed by chopping the underside of the lower fuselage off and fitting a new flatter one from plasticard.
Engines need separating from the main intake parts and the fronts reshaping.
Droidstrip on top needs tweaking
The door/ access hatch on the underside of the fuselage needs adding
Intakes need thinning a little
New paint and LEDs / fibre optics.

These to me seem to be the biggest issues that pop as inaccurate.

- - - Updated - - -

What gets me is that they invested a lot of money in a totally brand new model kit of one of the most iconic spaceships ever to hit the silver screen and made it only marginally better than a 20 year old toy.

Easy answer - they dont care as much as we do...!

Last edited:
Hell didn't ILM use the old Ertl kit for some shot in Empire and Jedi? This model like most is aimed at general audience not detail obsessesed prop builders LOL

Last edited:

Also, don't you suppose RoG just simply upscaled the earlier releases in the computer to produce this kit? At least the basis for this kit? Looks jut like the smaller ones, only bigger. Or maybe I'm not paying close enough attention...

Since the kit seems a bit better than a lot assumed it to be when we look at the few comments from owners in this thread, wouldn't it be awesome if we could find a 3D modeler able to supply us with 3D printed parts in order to correct a few inaccuracies of the kit ? Is anyone here interested in this project or am I the only one ? Could we make this thing take off ?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back