AMT X-Wing build question

BobaFett6215

I’m working on building the AMT X-Wing kit. I’m using reference photos from the AMT model that sold at auction a few years ago from RTOTJ movie as they use. The same kit for the movie. But if look at photos I’ve attached of the laser canons it looks like they put something over the barrel. Any ideas as what they might’ve used?

Attachments

• IMG_7287.jpeg
    IMG_7287.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_7252.jpeg
    IMG_7252.jpeg
    47.2 KB · Views: 99
The AMT/MPC X-Wing cannon 'tubes' suffer from an 'out of round' mold misalignment which, when sanded to remove the resulting step gives an oval cross-section, not round. Slipping a section of thin tubing over the original part or completely replacing with tubing fixes the problem. It is almost a certainty that they didn't do what I did, which was to use micro saws to separate the parts at the mold line to re-assemble with correct alignment. Needless to say, this is time consuming and tricky to accomplish, and even then I replaced the really thin tips with brass tubing...
cannon_closeup.jpg

The AMT/MPC X-Wing cannon 'tubes' suffer from an 'out of round' mold misalignment which, when sanded to remove the resulting step gives an oval cross-section, not round. Slipping a section of thin tubing over the original part or completely replacing with tubing fixes the problem. It is almost a certainty that they didn't do what I did, which was to use micro saws to separate the parts at the mold line to re-assemble with correct alignment. Needless to say, this is time consuming and tricky to accomplish, and even then I replaced the really thin tips with brass tubing...
View attachment 1750156
In my case, I used a wooden dowel to replace the entire barrel, using masking tape to create the "step" to the larger tube:

100_0610.JPG
100_0615.JPG

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back