Robocop Reboot (Pre-release)

We'll see. My fear is that the studio will override him and butcher the film anyway. Especially as they're already complaining about studio interference and they haven't even started shooting yet.

Now guys, let's not forget that the Robocop we saw in theaters and the uncut one the Criterion Collection gave us were also drastically different! The violence knob went to 11!

There was no Murphy headshot or mutant man roadkill in the theater version IIRC.

I remember mutant man roadkill from the tape when I was a kid and I believe the headshot was there as well. I thought the main addition in uncut was the scene where Kenny was completely and utterly obliterated (added leg shots and scientist pulling cords)

Yeah, Kinney's death is extended for a couple more seconds and in Murphy's death scene, his arm gets blown off and the headshot shot is extended. It's a great shot too because Murphy is completely animatronic and the camera does this nice slow pan before Clarence kills him. The animatronic Murphy is absolutely amazing too because it looks so freaking real.

The other big more violent shot is that there's a more close up shot of Clarence getting stabbed in the neck.

Always remember the Murphy death scene from way back. It hit hard, as a kid, id not watched much in the gore stakes, the puppet used was so real for its time, it looked so painful........you really winced lol.

lee

It's a great shot too because Murphy is completely animatronic and the camera does this nice slow pan before Clarence kills him. The animatronic Murphy is absolutely amazing too because it looks so freaking real.

The art form was at it's pinnacle! As much as some CG looks really clean now it still doesn't impress me nearly as much as the real stuff. :thumbsup

The animatronic Murphy is absolutely amazing too because it looks so freaking real.
It's interesting how the mind inteprets certain things. When I saw Robocop for the first time, during the scene in which Lewis (Nancy Allen) removes Robocop's helmet to reveal Murphy's full face, my initial thought was, "Well, that looks fake," even though it was Peter Weller's real face. :lol

It's interesting how the mind inteprets certain things. When I saw Robocop for the first time, during the scene in which Lewis (Nancy Allen) removes Robocop's helmet to reveal Murphy's full face, my initial thought was, "Well, that looks fake," even though it was Peter Weller's real face. :lol

That's kind of the idea though, make him look not quite human. Puts people on edge. :)

Oh, I understand that, and I agree. It's a very effective scene, and it makes most people feel that much more sympathetic for the situation Murphy finds himself in. I just found it amusing that I momentarily thought the only real part of the actor the audience could see looked fake because of the way the scene was staged.

Oh, I understand that, and I agree. It's a very effective scene, and it makes most people feel that much more sympathetic for the situation Murphy finds himself in. I just found it amusing that I momentarily thought the only real part of the actor the audience could see looked fake because of the way the scene was staged.

:thumbsup Shows how good the rest was!

The weird part is that Robocop's face is supposed to be fake.. it's a rubber/latex casting of Murphy's dead body (it's mentioned specifically in the sequel). I think they even did him up backwards from the usual makeup method.. they made his face up to match the latex around the mask (where it meets the machine), rather than blending the latex into his real skin. It did give it a different look that was exactly what it needed to be.

The weird part is that Robocop's face is supposed to be fake.. it's a rubber/latex casting of Murphy's dead body (it's mentioned specifically in the sequel). I think they even did him up backwards from the usual makeup method.. they made his face up to match the latex around the mask (where it meets the machine), rather than blending the latex into his real skin. It did give it a different look that was exactly what it needed to be.

oh so is that how everytime he gets shot to hell that his face never gets damaged?

Well, it certainly explains why his face never bleeds. I think it would have been neat to see it at least partially damaged at some point, exposing the mechanics underneath it.

Oh wow, I never knew that! That make so much sense now. I was like, "shouldn't like we be seeing blood or something on his face" after Robo gets hit in the head by ED-209 in the first film but yeah, latex makes much more sense. I originally thought that his face was one of the few organic parts left alive and continued to be sustainable thanks to his baby food, but I like the "molded face" idea more now.

I had no idea the face was supposed to be fake. Never, ever noticed that! I had assumed they somehow kept his facial tissue alive since they had his brain, eyes, etc. Learn something new every day!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back