Repainting a MPC Millennium Falcon ***FINISHED*** with tons of pictures

It’s really coming along nicely! Where did you get the decals from?
The paint work is excellent and has that lovely grimy look the Falcon should have
Thanks.
I found a guy selling them off Etsy.
Thr only ones I could find that looked good quality with people giving comments about them being really great.
I'm not sure if this person recreated them on their own, or just scanned the Bandai ones and took off their logo.
But, some things didn't print perfectly well. Most are so tiny, you might not even be super noticeable, but others, a little more.
Lile this one, I didn't use it.
Heres the official Bandai one.
High res, but I took thr picture off the monitor.
20230716_055429.jpg

Heres what I got.
Not every single decal was this bad, and then some were. Kinda weird.
20230716_055131.jpg

Thankfully, they are small enough and more a subliminal type thing to not really notice.

Thanks.
I found a guy selling them off Etsy.
Thr only ones I could find that looked good quality with people giving comments about them being really great.
I'm not sure if this person recreated them on their own, or just scanned the Bandai ones and took off their logo.
But, some things didn't print perfectly well. Most are so tiny, you might not even be super noticeable, but others, a little more.
Lile this one, I didn't use it.
Heres the official Bandai one.
High res, but I took thr picture off the monitor.
View attachment 1719603
Heres what I got.
Not every single decal was this bad, and then some were. Kinda weird.
View attachment 1719604
Thankfully, they are small enough and more a subliminal type thing to not really notice.
I think I’ve seen that seller as well. Are they individual decals or just one big sheet? I’m getting the Bandai Falcon and wondering whether to get them as I find the Bandai decals a bit thick.

I think I’ve seen that seller as well. Are they individual decals or just one big sheet? I’m getting the Bandai Falcon and wondering whether to get them as I find the Bandai decals a bit thick.
This guy here.

A lot of the other parts come on the Bandai come as decals (like the red and gray shaded panels), but I decided to paint them instead.

Very cool, you have done a super job as said it looks like you grabed it rite off the screen and now it sits before you nice model work I love the way you did your engines mine remains blank just the clear I just wasn't thinking whilest I was building for sure a revisit just when is the question to be answered Nice model work JediMichael

I think I'm calling this finished.....unless when I go to take the good pics I see something that still needs fixing, but for the most part...yeah.
After I got all the decals on with using all the micro set and then sol, I noticed, when the light hits it just right, every single decal had a shine on them. So I sprayed it with Mr. Super Clear Flat....which helped, but still was too shiny for me.
Tried to get some pics of it shining after the clear coat.
Hard to get a good pic of this with the phone, but you all get the point.
decalshine.jpg

So with all the tips and tricks to fix up a model, something that maybe others have tried and done, but I just thought it myself, and thats to take a gray color and water it way down, and then lightly coat it over a decal. Tried it, and it totally worked. Killed all the shine perfectly and actually dulls down a lot of those bright decal colors to match the rest of the paint job. Nice.
Kind of a good example here....not really.
noshine.jpg

So taking that gray, some with the water, some without, I then weathered all the decals, as a lot on the real studio model are also older and chipped looking.
20230716_232728.jpg

Tried getting all those pesky little hairs out of the cockpit....and then there one on top here....got it now.
20230716_233425.jpg

More decal weathering, which, I think looks better in person..
20230716_232707.jpg

And, the before and after pics. Since I used the phone for the before, figured I'd also use it for the after as well and match it best I could.
World of a difference. You wouldn't think its the same model.
BeforeafterTop.jpg

BeforeafterBottom.jpg

Well, its REALLY HOT outside today, but I went and got some pretty good pictures.
Ran them all through photoshop to look best colorwise. A few I let photoshop cutout so I could add a black background.
Also tried a few camera modes for slightly difference looks.
P1010043 copy.jpg

P1010044 copy.jpg

P1010045 copy.jpg

P1010047 copy.jpg

You can really see how the front mandibles just don't line up at all. Not much I could do at all about that, other than just not put it together.
P1010070 copy.jpg

P1010048 copy.jpg

P1010049 copy.jpg

P1010050 copy.jpg

P1010051 copy.jpg

Tried a mode that let me used the flash outside, it just really washed out the colors and added a blue tint. I brought some of the coloring back a little in photoshop.
P1010053 copy.jpg

Wanted to try and get a pic inside the cockpit.
P1010082 copy.jpg

Even with the model upside down, its tricky.
P1010081 copy.jpg

P1010077 copy.jpg

P1010076 copy.jpg

P1010075 copy.jpg

P1010074 copy.jpg

P1010069 copy.jpg

Model was upside down, so I flipped it back, but its funny looking since the shadows are coming from the top.
P1010064 copy.jpg

And normal.
P1010056 copy.jpg

P1010059 copy.jpg

And....not sure how this will turn out, but I took my good video camera and recorded a few flybys. But with no motion control rig and only just holding the camera, as well as the Falcon slightly moving from hanging from fishing string, might not even look very good. Not sure yet, haven't even looked at the footage. Either way, I'll just make a quick short video on youtube with a cool little ending.
20230717_135919.jpg

Very nice super job Salute Salute Salute can't wait to see it hanging in your room Thanks for sharing this adventure loved every moment can't wait till the next one

So just also wanted to thank all you guys here for watching and all the encouragement and pushing me to always do better
Even though I didn't light it, I'm still really happy with the whole back engine section and how it turned out.
And the cockpit interior, which you really can't even see, but we all know its in there and looks pretty good.
For a long time, besides even being a bit intimidated to try and repaint the thing, I at first wasn't even sure if I wanted to post the updates on here, as the Falcon is by far the most modeled model out there, with some people doing incredible work. I figured I would just probably get mixed up in all the "noise".
Kinda like posting a video on youtube. You might get 10 views, 2000 views, or even go viral and get millions...(I haven't had that ever happen yet.)
I can see, as of now, this has over 8000 here on this thread. I find that actually kinda crazy.
Thanks guys.
I really want to finish my Metal Gear Rex and was hoping the kitchen would be finished by now...but its still a bit buried under a mess. Maybe I'll just try to get it all pulled out anyways....

-Jedi Michael

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back