Remembering Good Times at the Cinema

I agree on interruptions. I do recline if I have the opportunity to do so, just to get comfortable and those theaters tend to have plenty of room between the seats so that the idiot behind you isn't kicking the back of your chair. I would never order food in the middle of a movie though and would complain about anyone who did.

There seems to be a trend of movie theaters transitioning to smaller "boutique" auditoriums; 40-50 seats instead of hundreds with a focus on amenities like recliner seating and waited service...

We just got one in my town (something I've been wanting for ages) and while there isn't a waited service, thankfully, it's two screens; one 50 seats, the other, 100, it's incredibly intimate and they play the stuff the large Cinemark won't typically play. I've been there almost every week, multiple times, since it's soft opening. I know everyone there, they know me, they ask for feedback in regards to what's played and what kind of films I want to play; it's everything I want in a theater like it.

The only downside are the chuds who still go to the movies and whip out their bright phones in a dark room. These mongoloids need to be reeducated or kept locked inside at home.

I agree on interruptions. I do recline if I have the opportunity to do so, just to get comfortable and those theaters tend to have plenty of room between the seats so that the idiot behind you isn't kicking the back of your chair. I would never order food in the middle of a movie though and would complain about anyone who did.

That's true. I still love the recliner seats for the amount of space it adds between you and others. I should also say I said I "never" recline but there have been times when I did. One time I nodded off because of it but that was probably the fault of the movie more than the seat.

We just got one in my town (something I've been wanting for ages) and while there isn't a waited service, thankfully, it's two screens; one 50 seats, the other, 100, it's incredibly intimate and they play the stuff the large Cinemark won't typically play. I've been there almost every week, multiple times, since it's soft opening. I know everyone there, they know me, they ask for feedback in regards to what's played and what kind of films I want to play; it's everything I want in a theater like it.

The only downside are the chuds who still go to the movies and whip out their bright phones in a dark room. These mongoloids need to be reeducated or kept locked inside at home.

Good point. You do get more indie movies and foreign films in those theaters. We have one close by but I haven't had an opportunity to go. I just can't imagine watching something like Godzilla or Top Gun there but yes, I do keep an eye out for smaller movies being shown there. Just haven't seen one I'm interested in yet.

My cousin invited me and some other relatives to go watch Top Gun: Maverick at the Regal in downtown LA (the same one that's screening Paper Plates if I'm not mistaken. Congrats on that by the way!). It was in their 4dx auditorium. I'm not one for 4dx as I find it gimmicky but I figured hey, it's a newer theater so it should at least have a premier screen and sound. It ended up being about 40 seats big, if that, with a proportionally sized screen. Normally I wouldn't have cared but it was opening week and I hadn't seen it yet. First time viewing has to be optimal for me especially considering how much I love the first Top Gun. I told everyone to enjoy the movie and I'll be at the Yardhouse across the street waiting for them when it's done. It was a bit of a prick move on my part but they understood how much I care about stuff like this so all was forgiven haha. I ended up watching it in IMAX the next day. I believe I made the correct choice.

Last edited:
I like the recliner seats, although there isn't really an ideal row for me where the best reclined position equates with the best eye line of the screen.

Also, sometimes they're made out of a squeaky material, and when you adjust the seat, everyone knows.

Oh, man, calling for times.
Until digital, one had to be very cognizant of which screen a multiplex was using for the time you wanted. They'd have one or two big houses with good sound systems, and the rest would be tiny, have the aisle in the middle of the room, and mono sound. So I'd have to call to get an actual person to tell me which showtimes were using the good ones.

For similar reasons one needed to see a movie in its first week, because after that it would go to one of the crap screens.
This was the case at the UA theater I posted about a few posts above with the trailer link. It was a huge F-U to the customer experience for anyone not in the main house.

So many movie theaters I went to are now closed. I still need to go over that cinema treasures site. But it makes you feel old when things you grew up with don't exist anymore. And worse, there are few if any photos of them just personal memories.

Even if those theaters weren't the best. They were special then. And few people were making the sort of personal theaters you see possible today.
When I was growing up there were three movie theaters within a bus ride from home (Mom didn't drive and Dad was at work). All three were severely damaged in the Whittier Narrows earthquake in 1987, and two were eventually destroyed. The third was divided into eight smaller theaters during it's rebuild, and is still in operation today. Others became accessible after I got my Driver's License and first car, but those are also gone or reconfigured into smaller theaters. The one constant in the universe is change. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

North of Orlando, there is a theater called, Aloma Cinema grill. Some friends took me there for the first time to watch Iron Man in 2008. I was one of those who was like, Iron Man? Whos that?
So of course the movie is still one of the best Marvel films made, which was such a gamble to pick one of the lesser known characters at the time, and of course casting Robert Downy Jr., as that past of his was a little nerve wrecking for the producers.

So this theater served food, and was the big theme for it. They did their best to get everyones orders and served before the actual movie started.
Watching that film, probably a few others, and for sure, Avatar in 2009, I remember sitting at full sized round tables.
It was a few years later, probably not til 2017 watching Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, that I got a chance to finally go back there. By then, they had changed all the round tables to smaller ones per chairs. I think the place had gotten more popular, and with only two screens, they needed to find a way to add more seats.
These are pics I found off their website.
2017-07-06.jpg

I think this is probably a random pic they also found online, my memory seems to remember the larger round tables, the tables above here, but also these that could swivel out as well. I might be getting that mixed up with another experience though.
home_hero.jpg

Agreed; even a simple photo can hold so much memory and meaning. There's many places and things I wish I had pics of that I cannot find online (or anywhere else). :(

Doubly agree. My family did not even own a camera until I was about 15 and I saved up to by a Polaroid, then later one of those little Kodak instamatics. The only pictures of me and my brother as children were pretty much just taken when relatives who owned a camera came over. And as a teen, film and developing cost so much (for a kid's budget) that all I ever wanted to take pictures of was really cool stuff. It never dawned on me that decades later I would be wishing I had pictures of me and my friends instead of just shots of my damn Star Wars models and KISS posters! :mad:

It's funny how if you even had a camera back in the day, you would need to go to an actual photo store and wait a few days to get the film developed.

Perhaps some part of me is happy that I wasn't taking photos because I didn't know how to frame an image as a kid. I found a poorly framed image of a Wonder Woman poster I had. It took me a long time to find where that poster came from.

But I would like to have photos of old movie theaters, malls, and arcades. Occasionally, I look for vintage mall brochures. I probably should find some auction sites to see if they are selling those lighted map / directories that are in malls.

I probably posted this somewhere else on here, can't remember now, but of all those old theater videos I made, last July I made a remaster of the Fandango bag ads, including adding some more I had found on a tape, as well as filming a few new parts.
Since Oppenheimer was the big film that had just come out, I included that in as well.

In my small home town, I remember seeing SW ANH in 1977 when I was 12 years old. I saw it 10 times and it cost 40 cents a time.

The whole theatre always smelled like talcum powder. They used to dust it around to get rid of the sweat stink. If I smell it now, that memory comes flooding back....! The theatre had two levels like the old style theatres. They tore it down and stuck up a shopping mall, now full of empty shops.

I never had another movie and theatre experience like the one I had when I was 12 years old....but who ever does...!!.... ;):cool:

Fairly long post about movie theaters.

I think everyone that enjoys movies wants the experience to be special. Even knowing that every movie isn't going to be special. Many times when I was a kid, I think we went to first weekend showings. There were pretty good crowds there. Never sold out but decent sizes. It didn't seem to depend on the time. Early or late. And I don't remember having a bad experience.

I remember seeing Total Recall, the first one, in the theater. I still haven't seen the remake yet even though it has Kate Beckinsale. But I had zero business seeing Total Recall at my age. I can't even remember who took me to see it. It was a night showing in an open area mall theater which I'm sure doesn't exist anymore. It must have been a relatively older mall as I remember wood details. Also areas in the center with grass, trees, and benches. The area felt kind of cozy with the stores and sitting areas around the open sky.

I tend to believe even if something is old, if a designer really tried to to make something special. If they gave it a lot of thought. Then it probably should be preserved. At least to me, many old mall designs are far better than the large stores, strip malls, and restaurants that replace them. Of course things do change and also go through cycles. But still, some area changes I've seen are like turning a park into a parking lot and I don't know why anyone would want to do that.

It's probably up to the community and if the mall or main street stores that were popular in the old days really make themselves part of the community. If they are there to do more than just a job in exchange for money. But to build up a community as well. Whether it's commercial or residential.

Perhaps that's why I like the movie The Burbs so much. I remember seeing it at a night showing and coming out thinking it's one of the best and funniest movies. Of course, the neighbors come off as insane at times. They are also adults that behave like children. But it feels like a protective community. I love the speech at the end. It has a Star Wars connection too. However, I think most here have seen The Burbs.

Yet with commercial stuff perhaps it's a bit more difficult even though it shouldn't be. Here are a few movie related stories / examples. One bad and two good:

First the bad story. I remember being in a book store and seeing a sci-fi book on the shelf behind the register. It was priced at $100 or $125 on the sticker. I asked the guy behind the register if I could see it. And he actually said no. Can you believe that? I was probably a combination of too young to ask for a manager and couldn't believe what was happening. I know if I was the owner or manager and I saw that behavior, I would immediately fire the guy. And if that guy was the owner, not only would I not care if they went out of business, I hope they did go out of business. Because that behavior isn't something that helps a community. I don't know who that behavior even benefits. As even if I wasn't going to buy the book or couldn't afford it, that would have been a chance to see what I liked and check if I was interested in other sci-fi books in the store.

Now on to the first good story. I found an actual physical movie poster store once. I was just browsing and wanted to get a few posters. I was going to get a James Bond reprint poster. I never considered getting an original vintage poster as I assumed that modern technology and newer paper would be equal if not better than a vintage poster. However, the owner of the store decided to show me an original 60s Bond poster. He didn't know if I could afford it or not. But he pointed out the differences in color between the original and reprint. And the original's colors were far more vibrant and detailed. Of course a 60s Bond poster was worth far more than a $100+ sci-fi book. But that shows the difference in people. I did buy a reprint Bond poster that day. But after that poster showing by the store owner, I never considered reprints for vintage movie posters again.

And a good story related to theaters. Many times in school, I would take in a mid day movie alone. This was before someone told me that I shouldn't go to movies alone but never said why. Anyways, after the movie if I didn't eat in the theater, I would go for an ice cream shake at a Haagen Dazs store. One day, the store was empty and the girl managing the store was outside. I said hi and we started talking a bit then went inside. After she made my shake since no one else was there, she sat with me and we continued to talk at the sitting / bar area. She didn't have to do that. But that simple behavior creates return customers. And to this day, when I make ice cream shakes at home I use Haagen Dazs ice cream.

Back to the Total Recall showing. I think everyone left that theater thinking Total Recall was amazing. I thought and still think Total Recall is one of the wildest movies ever. It had over the top action, adult situations, robots, aliens / mutants, space travel, funny lines, and a bunch of twists. I only went in knowing that it was an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie.

Going to a theater shouldn't be a bet on if you'll have a good experience or not. Especially as you get older. That's why I like to see movies like I did when I was a kid without watching trailers. We would just look in the newspaper for whatever had the biggest or best looking advertisement. I didn't know if those paper advertisements would even be posters in the theater back then. But thinking about it now, it's like how Martin Scorsese said once about how movie posters invite you to dream about whatever movie you might see. I've seen many of the best movies only based on a poster.

I don't mind people talking in a theater if you can tell they love movies. Not everyone is going to be Randy in Scream. But you know it would be fun to watch movies with people like him.

This custom home theater is still one of the best designs I've seen in terms of the overall environment, flow of the setup, and feel. It truly is a home theater. There are many notable posters and some Star Wars surprises in the video too.

The designer has a bunch of other theater projects too. If you have a bunch of friends that love movies and have a home setup similar to this theater. There really isn't a need to bet on the movie theater experience. As the only thing you can't beat will be the size of the screen.

However, I don't believe in the need for a big screen all the time. The screen in the video above could be bigger and the designer does have projects with big screens. But a big screen won't help a bad movie. I remember being excited for the James Bond movie Die Another Day. Especially since people were talking about how it was an anniversary movie. And I walked out not just thinking but knowing that I really didn't need to see that in a theater.

I remember seeing the original Nightmare on Elm Street on my small TV. Something like 20 to 24 inches. The movie was possibly edited. And yet it still scared me so much that I didn't want to go to sleep afterwards or even leave my room. I haven't seen any Nightmare on Elm Street movies in a movie theater. Part of me thinks that horror movies might work best at night and at home. Unless you are watching a night showing of a horror movie with horror movie fans.

Besides, I think some theaters I went to growing up were converted play theaters. As they had upper areas and sitting areas on walls like you see in opera houses and orchestra centers. The screens were big but perhaps might be seen as average today, If not on the small side. Especially since when you are a kid and small everything seems big.

Last edited:
I was reading that they are now planning on making Face/off 2, with which the report says both John Travolta and Nicholas Cage would return.
I bring it up here, because way back in 1997, this was the only movie I've ever snuck into. But, its actually an interesting story.
I had a friend, a year and 3 days younger than me. So at the time, he was 14, I was 15, our birthdays just over a month away. He had gotten obsessed with everything John Woo. But, his parents thought he was to young to be seeing a film like that.

We had already seen Men and Black, but not together, so we told our parents we were going to go watch that one....of course with Face/off for the plans. Of course, Men and Black wasn't starting around that time, so we instead bought tickets to Batman and Robin (which I've still never seen, although, guess we helped the box office numbers...a little) Once inside, we that theater having 7 screens, but not a lot of employees, it was really easy to mix in with a group of older guys going into Face/off. My friend loved every second of it.

Movie finishes, he thought he had pulled off this mastermind of a plan....except for one major issue. His Dad, who was picking us up, was also pretty smart. Asking when all the movies were getting out around that time, and seeing how we just so happened to get out when Face/off was letting out, since he was waiting outside by then, he knew right away what we had done.
My friend got grounded for some time over it. But, I think his Dad realized he was mature enough to see it, so from then on there, movies never became an issue. My parents, knowing it was my friend pushing me to do it anyways, didn't seem to have any issues with me.

So thats why, about 8 months later, when the big new mall with the megaplex 22 screen theater was close to opening, he was like, we got to get jobs there. I did, and of course worked there for 8 years.
At the time, he was only 15, and therefore, too young. He ended up getting a job elsewhere and never even worked at the theater like he so wanted.
Our main goal was to work in the projection booth so we could be working with actual film....and that never happened. Besides a manager showing me and letting me thread the projector, never got a chance to do it as my main job. They thought I was to wild and crazy and wouldn't do good with equipment like that....but in reality, once I learn it all, I probably would have thrived in that job. Oh well, too late now.....

What I love about a lot of those old theaters like that, is how they made it a whole entire experience.
While I've only worked at a megaplex with the 22 screens, I can imagine having way less, 6 or 7, where you could possibly focus on things and events in a better way.
We had mandatory events the theater HAD to do from the corporate and all, but sometimes, a lot of times, it felt too forced, and that not everyone wanted to really be apart of it.
Maybe it would be any different from a smaller theater. Maybe you wouldn't have enough employees to help.
It also depends on the management for certain things.
Like when Star Wars Ep. III came out, our general manager was not a Star Wars fan at all, and only saw dollar signs. But, other than posters and banners, didn't want anything extra done. When fans came lining up, anyone that had any type of toy light sabers, cheap or expensive, she made them go put them back in their car.
I ended up talking to another employee later on, from a Regal about 20 mins down the street that had 20 screens. Their manager went all out, let everyone dress up and encouraged it all. I still did at least get permission to dress up, since they knew I was a big fan. But, still felt like a bit of a downer like that.

Keep remembering more things from working at the theater. Maybe some I already mentioned....can't even remember now...but, of the different movie promotions we had to do. I remember around Christmas 2000, The Grinch came out, so we had this big fun event day for the movie. We had 4 guys dressed as the Grinch walking around the mall. Facing painting, games, and stuff like that.
I filmed it all, as I usually did, as you could submit everything you did, which pics, videos, and whatever else, and there were big prizes you could win.
The manager that did the Pokeman one that I filmed and made a little edited video for, months later she hands me a $20. Says she won one of the smaller prize packages, so gave me the twenty for the video.
No other manager ever did that. Maybe they just never won, or just never told anyone to share. Not sure.
So for the Grinch, besides filming it during the event, my girlfriend way back then, and a bunch of the other girls that worked there all sat me down, and did my long hair up to look, Whoville-ish.
I remember, later in the day, after the event was over and all movies were playing, but very soon for a lot of them to be getting out, we saw the lobby needed mopping. So I quickly was trying to mop at least the bad spots before that all happened....but, next I know, I see the crowds down the hallways coming towards me to go back downstairs....in my rush to finish, I totally slipped and fell in front of like a hundred plus people....wearing this...
1000015525.jpg

Just saw that this theater just closed down about 20 mins from me. Never been to that one. There is a Regal right around the corner. So maybe why. Always sad to see though.
They are selling the chairs now. I wouldn't know what to do with one, or have room, but the thought of having one is still cool.
1000015569.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back