Remembering Good Times at the Cinema

I just was noticing the date and remembered....24 years ago tonight, the theater I worked at had our 2nd auction using "Regal Bucks" to bid on posters and other type items, including, getting to pie a managaer in the face.
It always ended up with whipcream EVERYWHERE....lol. I think by auction 4 or 5, they finally stopped doing that one, as once, a bunch of the ushers all ran in the auction hitting everyone with whipcream.
Good times for sure.
I have them all on video, while I worked there anyways...
This was on VHS.
1000013775.jpg

One of my favorite threads
So as I was mentioning above....I dug out the DVD I made long ago that had a bunch of the edited stuff from our auction stuff.
I cut it up into three clips. This was the one where two employees won the chance to pie a manager, so they picked her.
I guess that happened on auction 7, but I forgot that I was on vacation and missed it, but I let one of the guys barrow my Hi-8 video camera.
So this video is the edited version that I then showed at auction 8. The whole video was like 9 mins, but I cut it down to the best parts showing the shenanigans we could have after hours. It wasn't always fun and games of course.

So I started it where the two managers are chasing another one....but, thats where all the ushers come in and go nuts with it all. The general manager was not too pleased. At the end, is another auctions pieing that I did film. Hence the better quality from a mini DV camera. And ending with us jumping into the standees.

So then after some stuff for the employees, I ended that video with this little part. I had friends give me a copy of Avid Xpress Pro, and effects program, Combustion. So I put this together, which was the mall the theater was in.
The one shot where the camera is looking up towards that ugly orange wall, as the DeLorean flies over....I had the camera on the tripod, but I was in my Regal uniform but not clocked in yet. Mall security just happened to be driving by, stops and yells at me that I can't be filming the building. I just acted like I didn't hear him until I had at least 5 to 6 seconds recorded....and then was like, oh, I didn't know....I haven't hit record yet.....lol.

So as I was mentioning above....I dug out the DVD I made long ago that had a bunch of the edited stuff from our auction stuff.
I cut it up into three clips. This was the one where two employees won the chance to pie a manager, so they picked her.
I guess that happened on auction 7, but I forgot that I was on vacation and missed it, but I let one of the guys barrow my Hi-8 video camera.
So this video is the edited version that I then showed at auction 8. The whole video was like 9 mins, but I cut it down to the best parts showing the shenanigans we could have after hours. It wasn't always fun and games of course.

View attachment 1793199

So I started it where the two managers are chasing another one....but, thats where all the ushers come in and go nuts with it all. The general manager was not too pleased. At the end, is another auctions pieing that I did film. Hence the better quality from a mini DV camera. And ending with us jumping into the standees.
View attachment 1793200

So then after some stuff for the employees, I ended that video with this little part. I had friends give me a copy of Avid Xpress Pro, and effects program, Combustion. So I put this together, which was the mall the theater was in.
The one shot where the camera is looking up towards that ugly orange wall, as the DeLorean flies over....I had the camera on the tripod, but I was in my Regal uniform but not clocked in yet. Mall security just happened to be driving by, stops and yells at me that I can't be filming the building. I just acted like I didn't hear him until I had at least 5 to 6 seconds recorded....and then was like, oh, I didn't know....I haven't hit record yet.....lol.
View attachment 1793201
Have to check these out when I get home

Was going through some stuff and found my 5 year pin. Totally forgot about that.
I think I'd actually worked there around 6 years already when they decided to give out pins, but it only went in 5s.
I quite right after 8 years in 2006, but coworkers were trying to get me to stay at least 2 more for a 10 year pin. I just couldn't do it.
1000014744.jpg

Just skimming through all these pages now makes this whole thread definitely good memories at the theater.
I didn't see this old video posted, unless I missed it...so mught as well...and holy cow I forgot how ridiculous we were back then. Its quite amazing none of us ever got fired.

For me a good time at the cinema is when someone doesn't feel the need to play with their phone. Which is sadly becoming a rare experience.
I HATE the selfishness of phone zombies these days and their lack of consideration when people have paid to see a film on the big screen and have to see an idiot zombie scrolling through Facebook/TikTok/Instagram in their peripheral vision.
My most recent trip to see Ghostbusters Frozen Empire, albeit not a film I was desperate to see but still decided to watch on the big screen, was spoiled by a weekend Dad sat two rows in front who ignored his two children from the moment they sat down to the last frame of the film before the credits, where he just sat scrolling his phone.

"Hell is other people".

A friend just sent me this.
I like movies and I like fireworks.
Together they can also be done really cool, like what theme parks have done, and even myself on July 4th....
But inside a movie theater, not so much.
The crazy thing is all the people cheering it on.
I can image if this had happened in America....major prison time.

A friend just sent me this.
I like movies and I like fireworks.
Together they can also be done really cool, like what theme parks have done, and even myself on July 4th....
But inside a movie theater, not so much.
The crazy thing is all the people cheering it on.
I can image if this had happened in America....major prison time.

Well, at least the global finger-pointing and laughing has been aimed away from the U.S. for a few minutes.

20 years ago with flip phones, it was, "Please silence your cell phone."

Now its,
"Please use the app on your phone to order stuff during the movie because who cares if it distubs people because ordering off the app will make us more money."
Looking at their website:
"With Mobile Ordering, you can order a full meal or classic concessions from the comfort of your Luxury Lounger and have it delivered hot & fresh while you watch your movie."

If one wanted to be generous, they might want you to order before the movie begins, the delivery the only thing happening during. But they really should emphasize that distinction.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back