Remembering Good Times at the Cinema

Concessions have always been expensive, and I grew up in a family where that part of the experience just wasn't done for that reason. We went to see the movie and that's what we did. Every once in a while we'd stop at a convenience store on the way for candy to smuggle, but basically I grew up not feeling munchies is a requirement. So I always chuckle a little when people say they don't go to theaters because of expensive food. You don't have to buy food to see the movie!! :lol:

ive never bought concessions... always ALWAYS snuck them in, stuffed in our socks, winter jackets...

one funny story was when loading into a theater, there was a large pizza box left in the chair in front of me.. have no idea how that was snuck in..

Concessions have always been expensive, and I grew up in a family where that part of the experience just wasn't done for that reason. We went to see the movie and that's what we did. Every once in a while we'd stop at a convenience store on the way for candy to smuggle, but basically I grew up not feeling munchies is a requirement. So I always chuckle a little when people say they don't go to theaters because of expensive food. You don't have to buy food to see the movie!! :lol:

I guess I'm kind of the opposite. As much as I enjoyed smuggling junk in, it could be disruptive at times, especially when others brought in full meals (something I'm also guilty of doing). One of the joys of going to the movies for me was sometimes the meal afterwards and getting the time to just think about what you saw. Especially if it was a good film and you got to share that with someone. Hell, even just a discussion afterwards with a stranger is fun.

and getting the time to just think about what you saw.
Yes. When I see a movie with my wife, she is instantly done thinking about it the moment we exit the door, whereas I like to discuss it on the ride home, as well as here and there over the next day or so. It was a tradition amongst my family and friends, but she's done with it quicker than I can fathom, even if she loved the movie!

Yes. When I see a movie with my wife, she is instantly done thinking about it the moment we exit the door, whereas I like to discuss it on the ride home, as well as here and there over the next day or so. It was a tradition amongst my family and friends, but she's done with it quicker than I can fathom, even if she loved the movie!
I’m the same way, I usually try and see movies on opening day. Wednesday/thrusday then hit it up again on Saturday night

Usually I’d the movie is good or bad I’m talking.. or b1txhijg about it the next few weeks lol

The Cinemas over here in the UK are still behind the times but are slowly ramping up putting in Well known coffee shops and places to eat...I dont mind that so much as long as the cinema seats are comfy..
Our local Showcase have full leather recliners which are like those Easy chairs fully adjustable with a nice wooden table arm..

Still not a patch on those Enormous Multiplex we went to outside of Tampa..it was like a Huge retail outlet in size and looked like a Castle!..

The Cinemas over here in the UK are still behind the times but are slowly ramping up putting in Well known coffee shops and places to eat...I dont mind that so much as long as the cinema seats are comfy..
Our local Showcase have full leather recliners which are like those Easy chairs fully adjustable with a nice wooden table arm..

Still not a patch on those Enormous Multiplex we went to outside of Tampa..it was like a Huge retail outlet in size and looked like a Castle!..
Big commercial things are cool, but like you I much rather have my small historic stuff

The Cinemark chain in the US has big comfy chairs that have an extending footrest. Now here's where I find a fault in a cool thing. ;) They recline as the footrest goes out--they cannot be controlled independently. In the reclined position your face ends up aligned with the ceiling above the screen (at least in the rows I prefer). There is no sweet spot in the theater or in chair position where you can put your feet up, relax your head, and also be facing the screen. They are also made of a faux leather that squeaks as you reposition it, so it's disturbing during the movie when people near you are adjusting.

The Cinemark chain in the US has big comfy chairs that have an extending footrest. Now here's where I find a fault in a cool thing. ;) They recline as the footrest goes out--they cannot be controlled independently. In the reclined position your face ends up aligned with the ceiling above the screen (at least in the rows I prefer). There is no sweet spot in the theater or in chair position where you can put your feet up, relax your head, and also be facing the screen. They are also made of a faux leather that squeaks as you reposition it, so it's disturbing during the movie when people near you are adjusting.
100% correct! i too suffer from this... i much rather just sit in the recliner.. i also dont like the idea of peoples feet right near my head... or when they walk by dropping something on my face... keep your distance! lol

Finally took the time to go through some old tapes and find video from the first apartment I had with roommates.
Being video grabs of SD footage, not greatest quality. First date on the tape is from 2/11/02.....(as of me posting this right this minute, this means tomorrow evening will be 20 years ago this was filmed...I think I'm going to go cry now.....)
At this point, I was just about to hit 4 years working at the theater...so the halfway point.
You can see the huge influence it had on me and roommates (who were both brothers)
You would go through the door on the ground floor and immediately there were these stairs.
Handrail on the right had film from a trailer running up it, all around the whole apartment, and back to the front door. On the left side, can't really tell what posters the movies were from here, but above them we had these laserdisc that had come in these cases (I believe you loaded the whole case in the player). I found them in a trash and broke the disc part out and hung them, and the film went across them.
(BTW, did stupid stuff that I highly regret now......as you will see)
room8.jpg

Top of the stairs. I had just built this AT-AT. Can also see a lamborghini I had turned into the BTTF "Delorean using radio parts.....only because I had been in 6th grade at the time and mistaken it as a delorean. Both doors went up and all.....I didn't know much about cars back then. Still have it today.
room6.jpg

More down the wall. These light saber handles were the roommates and built them with their uncle. Wish I had a better shot. While not completely accurate or anything, they used pipe fittings and knobs and looked pretty good actually.
room7.jpg

Here is a screen grab from a little later on, but see down the stairs a bit more. (We were filming a stupid video, me running up the stairs)
room5.jpg

This is standing in the kitchen, with those stairs just off camera to the left. I forgot, we had 3 microwaves. An X-wing on the 2nd one.
room2.jpg

Most of the kitchen. Cabinets had toys on top of them, scenes from Stars Wars on cabinet doors and....Tim Allen (shadow in window) looking out to the parking lot from the theater standee, Joe Somebody. We would sometimes hide him in different areas and scare each other. I once rigged it with fishing string in the one roommates room, so when he opened the door, Tim came flying at him. Yeah, I won that round big time.
room3.jpg

More video from an even later date. Were running out of wall and ceiling space, and fast....
We sadly only lived there for a year and a half, and one of them had to go and get married......
room.jpg

This shot was probably before some of the others...I lost track. Compete bachelor apartment.
room4.jpg

One of those big regrets that was made,.... was that ALL these real and official posters, like this Episode II poster, were ALL hung using thumbtacks. I only have 3 left. I think when I moved a few years back, must have gotten rid of them. (maybe I left them with my ex....I can't remember) I have with me now, a Spider-man 2, Signs and Bourne Identity poster, with thumbtack holes in the corners. Probably not worth anything......
This Ep. II poster was a nice hot steal......I was in the theater backroom early 2002. UPS or FEDEX, (don't remember) would delivered all new posters in these orange tubes. I remember seeing one of these tubes that someone had just sat in the back. Someone joked that it was probably the Star Wars poster.....Well, I popped the end off and slide it out a little. I believe there were 6 posters in it....so 3 of us took one and left 2...I'm thinking. Never got caught from management. I think thats probably the only thing I have ever stolen in my whole life. So to know I went through all that just to put thumbtacks....aghhhhh......
room9.jpg

So now we get to my room, which was basically a recreation of when I had lived with my parents, just even more extreme.
myroom10.jpg

A few film trailers on top my tv, because, why not???
myroom11.jpg

Becides movie stuff, video game stuff as well, like these Sonic drawings I made myself. As well as these patterns that wrapped around the whole room. Can't really tell from the picture, but I had drawn and colored them all, mainly because, growing up, I have had very bad ADHD. Never could sit still in church so well, so coloring those helped me to keep busy, and also listen. Those I had started in 7th grade and finished a few years later. Still have them all in a box in the closet now.
myroom12.jpg

And the last wall, with scenes I drew from Sonic 2.
myroom13.jpg

So that is the basic still image tour of my apartment from 20 years ago. Which as you all can see, was probably 90% movie theater inspired.
Reminds me, 2002 was the 20th anniversary of E.T. (and now 40th this year)
I had the giant classic Moon cardboard cutout standee hanging on the ceiling as well. I wonder if I have video of that somewhere.....hmmmmmm......

Also going to add, that when we moved in March 2003, we actually broke the least early because the one was getting married, and I couldn't afford the place with just two of us and we couldn't find another person. But, we cleaned it so well and I fixed all the holes in the walls, that we DID get our deposit back. Thats quite a miracle in itself.

Last edited:
dude i freak'n love this... its like a time machine. please keep this thread bumping with vintage updates. i remember some of these posters, the friend of yours the hair, the cloths. i remember all that

Was just thinking (that I totally forgot about), I have these videos us 3 had made back then that I actually uploaded to youtube in 2006, so the quality is pretty poor. We were always making stupid stuff and experimenting with bad green screen effects.
The soundtrack from the movie Snatch was pretty much our soundtrack for all our videos.

This one had Spider-man yelling a bunch of stuff, but his audio track somehow got messed up, so hes almost totally muted. This actually had servral effect layers, including Spider-man, which was stop-motion like the above video.

The brothers called each other, Butt hole. Fun stupid times back in the day.

Here we actually mostly recreated the ending fight scene from Snatch.

4 videos is enough, for now. I'll post more theater videos later on.

Dude!! Talk about blast from the past! Those special effects are exactly what I wanted to do back then..

I was learning from a girl I was hanging around father. He on the side did wedding videos, it was probably 2000…2001.. first time I ever saw a computer setup with duel monitors

He did stuff like this with intros and adding music

It was such a long process I would hang out with him on the weekends and he would show me how you had to put the tape into a machine that was hooked to the computer. Then play the whole video while the machine converts it digitally to the computer

I would have loved to learn the stop motion and blue screening you did back then

Did you go to school for this? Did you have a studio or something to do all these effects?

Like walking across the roof.. how did you do that? Did you put it in a blue screen and shrink the footage, or did you film it from far away?

Would love to hear how you did these effects back then

Same with the delorean.. you’re sitting down somewhere but your feet are covered like they are really in the car, how was that pulled off back then?

Dude!! Talk about blast from the past! Those special effects are exactly what I wanted to do back then..

I was learning from a girl I was hanging around father. He on the side did wedding videos, it was probably 2000…2001.. first time I ever saw a computer setup with duel monitors

He did stuff like this with intros and adding music

It was such a long process I would hang out with him on the weekends and he would show me how you had to put the tape into a machine that was hooked to the computer. Then play the whole video while the machine converts it digitally to the computer

I would have loved to learn the stop motion and blue screening you did back then

Did you go to school for this? Did you have a studio or something to do all these effects?

Like walking across the roof.. how did you do that? Did you put it in a blue screen and shrink the footage, or did you film it from far away?

Would love to hear how you did these effects back then

Same with the delorean.. you’re sitting down somewhere but your feet are covered like they are really in the car, how was that pulled off back then?
Ok, wrote a short book here....but yeah.....

I actually slightly got started in 97 playing with my Dad's video camera and figured yo could hold a button down which would play it normal speed in reverse. But it was a few months later that someone said I should try stop-motion. I didn't actually think it was possible on video, but I tried anyways, hitting the record button fast twice in a row. It totally worked. With that camera, I got 7 frames a second, which was fluid enough. That opened a whole new world to me. Just 3 years ago I took like 2 years worth of those stop-motions and added sounds and uploaded to youtube.
That all started when I was in 10th grade in January, (got the theater job 2 and a half months later).
I had shown some of my stuff in classes and one teacher literally marched me down to the tv production room and introduced me to that teacher. I had to wait til the next school year to get in though.
Most kids thought it was going to be an easy A class....although that teacher was quite tough.
Over issues with his son, he had to quite the next year, so they brought in the head football coach (and math teacher) to be the new tv production teacher. Up til then, I had learned to edit VHS tapes on official editors, tape player to recorder with a controller setup. But it was extremely time consuming. But then they got the first digital (non-linear) editor. That newer teacher taught me how to use it, but from there, I was learning so much, that I ended up showing him stuff....and other students.
This was my senior year and I had OJT, (on the job training). So I had 3 classes in the morning, (TV production, English and American History) after that I was technically suppose to leave school and work a few hours there at the theater....but, I never got many hours anyways. So, I spent hours and hours in editing there in the class. I sometimes stayed way past school being out. I kept going back to the school for 5 years after graduation to "help" out the students, which I did here and there, but mostly, I was still learning.
It was with those roommates that I started learning more of the effects and sound editing, while going back to the school.
I did try college, but because I actually have such bad learning disabilities, I lasted maybe a month in the normal classes. (which weren't even earning a credit yet.) Even tried again the next summer in a film class, but I'm so bad at tests, I failed. So I'm really just self taught.
So those roommates had gotten a copy (totally pirated) of the editing program, AVID. While the Windows version we had was still pretty basic, it was still far more advanced than I had ever used before.
Its keying (Green/blue screen effects) abilities weren't great, but it worked for us.
For me on the roof, I believe we did shrink it down. But, cropping off any edges, it only cropped the sides on a straight line, so me in the delorean, my legs are actually cut off as a perfect line, if you look close. Also, the next shot where Jesse picks it up, look in the background and the green cloth was still there. ha

I better stop there so you can actually read this.

Ok, wrote a short book here....but yeah.....

I actually slightly got started in 97 playing with my Dad's video camera and figured yo could hold a button down which would play it normal speed in reverse. But it was a few months later that someone said I should try stop-motion. I didn't actually think it was possible on video, but I tried anyways, hitting the record button fast twice in a row. It totally worked. With that camera, I got 7 frames a second, which was fluid enough. That opened a whole new world to me. Just 3 years ago I took like 2 years worth of those stop-motions and added sounds and uploaded to youtube.
That all started when I was in 10th grade in January, (got the theater job 2 and a half months later).
I had shown some of my stuff in classes and one teacher literally marched me down to the tv production room and introduced me to that teacher. I had to wait til the next school year to get in though.
Most kids thought it was going to be an easy A class....although that teacher was quite tough.
Over issues with his son, he had to quite the next year, so they brought in the head football coach (and math teacher) to be the new tv production teacher. Up til then, I had learned to edit VHS tapes on official editors, tape player to recorder with a controller setup. But it was extremely time consuming. But then they got the first digital (non-linear) editor. That newer teacher taught me how to use it, but from there, I was learning so much, that I ended up showing him stuff....and other students.
This was my senior year and I had OJT, (on the job training). So I had 3 classes in the morning, (TV production, English and American History) after that I was technically suppose to leave school and work a few hours there at the theater....but, I never got many hours anyways. So, I spent hours and hours in editing there in the class. I sometimes stayed way past school being out. I kept going back to the school for 5 years after graduation to "help" out the students, which I did here and there, but mostly, I was still learning.
It was with those roommates that I started learning more of the effects and sound editing, while going back to the school.
I did try college, but because I actually have such bad learning disabilities, I lasted maybe a month in the normal classes. (which weren't even earning a credit yet.) Even tried again the next summer in a film class, but I'm so bad at tests, I failed. So I'm really just self taught.
So those roommates had gotten a copy (totally pirated) of the editing program, AVID. While the Windows version we had was still pretty basic, it was still far more advanced than I had ever used before.
Its keying (Green/blue screen effects) abilities weren't great, but it worked for us.
For me on the roof, I believe we did shrink it down. But, cropping off any edges, it only cropped the sides on a straight line, so me in the delorean, my legs are actually cut off as a perfect line, if you look close. Also, the next shot where Jesse picks it up, look in the background and the green cloth was still there. ha

I better stop there so you can actually read this.
Wow, so film has been basically your whole life. I really enjoyed your chrono trigger video

Your so lucky to have that kind of technology back then. My school had a tv production class but it was just for doing the morning announcements.. they didn’t have anything close to this

I always wondered how to do this back then, so this is literally a blast from the past for me

Keep updating us with all the retro work man, I love it

Here where I'm at, Valentines day is less than an hour away.....so....
Back in 2005 or 2006 (can't remember which year) was working that Valentines. I had the 8pm to 10pm ticket shift. Tons of couples were coming to see a movie I was totally single. I started drawing random shapes that didn't really mean anything....but, it ended up looking like a blown apart heart.... So added the sword. Colored it later on in photoshop.
Everyone, even customers from that night while still black and white, said I needed to make it a tattoo.
I could see someone having that on an arm. I would want to fix up the hilt a bit better though.

heartsword.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back