Rapunzel (and Flynn)...the everlasting WIP. ( re-making bodice! )

Re: Rapunzel (and Flynn) WIP!:: pg 13... Embroidery pattern of doom.

That embroidery looks very good. You match the movie almost perfectly. Almost. Although we strive for 100%, we almost never get there. But you came closest.

LOL thank you!!!

Every single design is there in all the right order down to every last dot ( or will be ). I think that I would have to be locked in a tower and sacrifice my sanity and eyesight to match every stitch perfectly. :lol Is it sad to say that I tried for the first few, counting how many stitches it took to fill the design? Okay, maybe just the first one. I have no qualms about giving up on that endeavor. :lol

In my studies ( aka bajillion hours of lurking pictures instead of doing actual work ), I found that the Disney Park costumes have actually omitted or changed some of the designs so it's closer than them!

Teresa, I used furniture foam from Michaels. They should have it at Jo-Anns too. I got it in a roll, I know Jo-Anns sells it in sheets but they're light green in which case even a nylon casing wouldn't hide it enough if it showed through. I put the white in nylon tubes 'cause it made it a golden tan colour without having to paint it all and making it crunchy and figured it would be easier to sew through if I needed to ( which I did at the top to attach to the wig ). I have seen people who did paint the foam instead though.

All of the small braids...oh my gosh. to be honest...I can't remember if I cut them separately or just braided them from the weft... I think I cut them separately from multiple wefts to get them a bit thicker... I'll have to double check. Right now the wig is residing in my car trunk. >_>

i bought an adult 5 ft wig last night. My thought process is that my daughter is only about 35 inches tall. I should be able to cut the wig in half to add the smaller braids with in the wig. Foam seams like such a better idea that actual stuffing. Now I just have to decide how wide to make the tubs... HUM.. Thanks for the help :)

I'll probably cheat on the embroidery, digitize and have the machine do it... :) I found this child one on etsy Child Rapunzel Deluxe Costume Custom Made by NeverbugCreations I really like some of the material they used and the embroidery. I think I'm going to mix both ideas with few of my own. I don't think I have the time and money to do what you did ordering custom fabric with the correct design :) WOW and I can defiantly see where your's is more accurate than Disney Theme Park versions.

Another thought/question... I've seen a lot of other wigs... and they look "frizzy" did you use any product keep smooth looking.. hairspray anything?

I just made sure it was on a stand high enough to let the hair fall straight and I brushed it intermittently while working on it and while braiding to keep it as flat as possible. :) And then LOADS of hairspray when it was all done!

Hi, I was just wondering if you would ever make this costume to sell. I would really love one, yours is the best Rapunzel I have seen.

Thank you so much for the compliments!

I could make the costume, but details such as the embroidery, I probably wouldn't do. I still haven't even finished my own! @_@

I don't currently take commissions but I am always open to discussing the possibility. :)

Hopefully I'll be able to update this thread soon with all of the improvements I'll be making, plus a new wig!

Oh, what the heck. Here's a picture of my short brown haired wig.

hkhuk.jpg

I don't have to do much for styling other than the bangs, it's pretty spot on, I think! I was INCREDIBLY picky about the colour... i didn't want a deep, dark, rich brown...I wanted something natural and soft...and I was so pleased with this one when I opened it up! :D

Yep so...that's my news for now. >_> Back to working on Daenerys for the night.

That is very natural, I thought it was your own hair until I kept reading!

Aelynn this is greylocke's daughter he made me get my own account so I could look at your dress and beg you to help me get my own.

Help my Obi uhhh Aelynn you're my only hope. :lol

I want to make a Princess Jasmine costume do you think that I should get the movie if I cant get good pictures of her???

We have the movie on the DVR is what she means. I told her we'll order it on DVD next month.

Thank you so much for the compliments!

I could make the costume, but details such as the embroidery, I probably wouldn't do. I still haven't even finished my own! @_@

I don't currently take commissions but I am always open to discussing the possibility. :)

Hopefully I'll be able to update this thread soon with all of the improvements I'll be making, plus a new wig!

Oh, what the heck. Here's a picture of my short brown haired wig.

hkhuk.jpg

I don't have to do much for styling other than the bangs, it's pretty spot on, I think! I was INCREDIBLY picky about the colour... i didn't want a deep, dark, rich brown...I wanted something natural and soft...and I was so pleased with this one when I opened it up! :D

Yep so...that's my news for now. >_> Back to working on Daenerys for the night.

Hi
That would be really great if you would be interested in making one to sell. Please let me know your price. I totally understand about the embroidery, if you had the pattern for that I could always find someone to add that at a later date.
Also I love your wig if you would ever remake that to sell. Just let me know the price, I know there is a lot of hair that goes into it.
Sorry for taking so long to reply. Hope your Daenerys costume is coming along well.
Thanks
Nicky

Hi Megali! Thanks for all your wonderful compliments! *_* If you have any questions in particular, feel free to ask. I made all of my costume so I can't really help you 'get' your own. Sorry!

For Jasmine reference, I would google for disney screencaps. I know there are a few sites out there with pretty much frame by frame shots which would be good for reference at all angles! Or search flickr for photos of dolls to get a better idea of how the clothing is put together. :)

Nicky, I'll keep you posted if I can find the time to commission some pieces. I have a lot of personal projects on the go at the moment. Thanks for your interest!

As for updates...still working on the embroidery. Then gonna swap the lace trim. Going to make new sleeves and adjust the bodice for the WDW trip. Photoshoot planned for first or second weekend in August! SO CLOSE. SO MUCH TO DO!

Hi
That would be really great if you would be interested in making one to sell. Please let me know your price. I totally understand about the embroidery, if you had the pattern for that I could always find someone to add that at a later date.
Also I love your wig if you would ever remake that to sell. Just let me know the price, I know there is a lot of hair that goes into it.
Sorry for taking so long to reply. Hope your Daenerys costume is coming along well.
Thanks
Nicky

Hmm. Once I get settled into my new home I think I will remake the wig. I don't know if I'll keep the new one and sell my old one or just sell the new one...but it was a lot of fun to make and I'd like to try my hand at it again. I'll keep you posted if I have one to sell!

Joule, Thank you so much!

Unfortunately, the amazing photoshoot I had planned has been put on the backburner. :( Totally bummed...but the photographer split with her hubby ( who owned the canoe we were going to use ) so that sort of threw the whole idea out the window for now.

On a positive note, this gives me more time to re-work my costume as best I can!

I need to have everything done for the end of September...I've just been procrastinating so hard.

BUT! Here's an updated shot of the embroidery, which I am LOVING! Excuse the wrinkles!

emb1-1.jpg

Oh, and I got the eyelets on the bodice done, too!

puneyes.jpg

Hi

The embroidery looks great.

If you do make a new wig and decide to sell one I am very interested so please let me know. Your wig is the best I have seen so I would love one.

Good luck with the house move, hope it all goes smoothly.
Thanks again
Nicky

Wow. This costume gets better and better. Is your embroidery done by hand???

Oh, I'm sure your fingers hate you for this, but I applaud the decision. I've got to show my daughter this thread. (She's 6, and meeting Rapunzel at Disney World was the highlight of the trip for her.)

*shudders*

3 more bottom hems to go and 5 more bottom panel patterns...

tumblr_m9tdwpZUtb1qght35o2_1280.jpg

I think I'm going to throw myself a party when I'm done this skirt. :|

Absolutely stunning. Can't wait to see it finally finished.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back