R5 in Carbonite (RIC)

This build is so totally cool , i have been folowing it from the start ( witch is not that long ago , really efficient work )
the carbonite splashes and the texture looks great , im planning a HIC build myself in the not to distant future , so this is a great inspiration .
keep up the great work

Thank you guys!
Today I started a little bit of the weathering before leaving to work. I didn't get as much done as I'd liked, but progress is progress....

Just using watered down black acrylic poured on heavy. then wiped away with a damp rag. Then using a feathered paint brush ( dry ) with some black on it for the areas I'd like to get darker. I will do most of this step after the entire droid is done so that I can get a grasp on what spots need more and which ones are fine as is.
Here you can see the same area done at the three different steps. ( I will still accent some areas with the brush later, so still one step to go )
6969ACB4-7245-492C-91C5-AECF310B2DE8_zpsdbnx0zux.png

D5FDA7D9-154B-43E2-A65B-9436E667FD28_zpsribuivzz.png

E6A8F8E6-12AB-4247-8474-7FABAF920529_zpsaxllzxuw.png

And of the feet.. little more heavy than the previous pics above
5651E9DA-D365-4619-AD32-8D906A31A177_zpsp5yoxj7a.png

43913A5E-5419-494D-B77C-DB394150EFBB_zpssgs9b1yy.png

Thank you guys!

Today I started a little bit of the weathering before leaving to work. I didn't get as much done as I'd liked, but progress is progress....

Just using watered down black acrylic poured on heavy. then wiped away with a damp rag. Then using a feathered paint brush ( dry ) with some black on it for the areas I'd like to get darker. I will do most of this step after the entire droid is done so that I can get a grasp on what spots need more and which ones are fine as is.

Here you can see the same area done at the three different steps. ( I will still accent some areas with the brush later, so still one step to go )

35768474295_5c2f1db321_b.jpg
RIC by chris stephens, on Flickr

35768495085_b99d9c71eb_b.jpg

35768521135_21d9f54a26_b.jpg

And of the feet.. little more heavy than the previous pics above

35636441201_f8038e681e_b.jpg

Last edited:
I have to admit, when I first read you were doing an R5 in carbonite, I was wondering... why? However, as I started following your build, I very quickly began looking forward to your next updates & progress. Now?... I'm totally blown away. R5 in carbonite? Hell yeah! Aaaaaaannnndd now I want one.

Awesome, thanks!

i know this kind of project isn't for everyone... But it's been one of the most fun I've had on a project by far.

Ive got some Volvo panels coming in the mail, so I should wrap this thing up soon

I saved the most painful part of the build for last.... The panels.

If you google the phrase "mind numbing", making these better be in the top three results. I was super lucky and got my hands on some Volvo panels from lunchbox wars, so I'm extremely grateful for that. Scratch building six of these would have been .... I'm looking for a word that's more than painful and less than brain aneurism. You get the picture

There's no real easy way to sand these guys either. Because of the shape, it takes a long time. And then when you're done, you remember that you have to do that 5 more times.

All of the greeblies are scratch built or resin casts.

And after days and days of wanting to lose my mind, I have six panels ready to rock. I tried to duplicate the original HIC panels as much as I could using reference pics from the museum display gallery, but I also took a couple small creative liberties on them as well. Anyone who would actually know that by looking at these pics, well....I can't imagine they're still on board with this project anyways. I'm pretty sure they jumped ship after reading the title :)

And of course, the hero panel lights up

35669706991_637de3cc97_b.jpg
From Old Photobucket by chris stephens, on Flickr

I'll mount these all in the morning and get some pics up of the final product.

UPDATE

Well, here we are. The end. What a fun project to work on. I'm going to actually take this to a studio and get some professional pictures taken. I'd like to use a green screen and re-create the Bespin hallway scene with Jawas and sand troopers.

Here's a few progression pics showing the progress to the end

35380277180_abe7bbae03_b.jpg

35598447752_e76b259951_b.jpg

35768442935_17f99a4db5_b.jpg

And final pics with panels installed

35768552515_ba1aa78e71_b.jpg

35598424112_c13007bb9a_b.jpg

35727332486_dd0a7643d4_b.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back