R5 in Carbonite (RIC)

I'm pretty sure they are at the bottom of the frozen section of the box. Not the box itself, but the frozen part.
carbonite.jpg

You guys lost me about four posts ago :confused

first off... You're not being a jerk at all. I always welcome any and all comments/critiques, etc.

secondly... This prop only existed in my head prior to this, so however it ends up is correct. :D

But seriously, I've tried to make this as close to a real HIC as possible, but I'm not tracking what you mean about the feet.

Let me me know if I'm missing something obvious

A9D25EAD-064D-48DA-A4B4-DB151C09363D_zpsmfyudq62.png

B6349520-440A-40B2-BE68-314678E7082C_zpsoirx504e.png

Absolutely Beautiful! Great job Greedo!

Thanks Paul!

... This is r2 builder Paul yeah? We did the droid races together at celebration if I'm remembering right.

I'll be making the trip down to R2LA this year, so it will be good to see you all again

Thanks Paul!

... This is r2 builder Paul yeah? We did the droid races together at celebration if I'm remembering right.

I'll be making the trip down to R2LA this year, so it will be good to see you all again

Yes it is me! I look forward to seeing you there!

I've started the Carbonite effect. I did this with my HIC, and it worked great. After you have the bondo blending done, you just pour large puddles of glue in random areas. I then took my air hose and spread it around to thin the puddled areas out a bit.

You let the puddles dry for a couple of days and then do it again. After about the third to fourth time, the puddles start connecting and overlapping each other and it gives that layered Carbonite look

So far I'm at two layers. I'm hoping to be painting by Friday, but we'll see

First layer puddled

Then spread out with air hose

Same area two days later. Starting the second layer here

35768531665_c59cb44055_b.jpg
RIC by chris stephens, on Flickr

And an overall after second area is covered. It looks weird now, but after you paint it, it really comes to life

34958302453_6aed32c707_b.jpg

Here's a reference shot of what I'm trying to have come across on mine.

I'm using liquid nails and a big tile grout sponge. You're going to have to invision the final look after paint and weathering. Right now, there's a lot going on with different layers , each having a different color. It's going to really take shape after paint, so trust me...

34927262794_a23899d53c_b.jpg

34927283934_dd9b86e89b_b.jpg

35636423461_0375de92af_b.jpg

And earlier today, I put may panel backs on. I built a box in the hero panel so that I can have a place to house whatever electronics I go with. I also added PVC so that I can route the wiring from the eyes to the box. And also a second one for wiring out the back ( in case I go with a wall plug in set up).

And since this will be on display in our Jawa area, I made a finished back for it. This way we can prop it up wherever we want and don't have to worry about a hollow back to hide from view.

34927240364_1be4004109_b.jpg

35380328110_e8f191a07e_b.jpg

34927221414_7a89a70ab8_b.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome!

Have you thought about how you will plug the gaps behind the vents and the body hubs? I figure you want to get them all "gummed" up with carbonite.

Small update with the very first coat of primer applied. It still has a LONG way to go, but at least now everything is the same color and you can see things better. I will still be filling in areas that I think need t be for full or spotty

35598344622_a3beb2490d_b.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome!

Have you thought about how you will plug the gaps behind the vents and the body hubs? I figure you want to get them all "gummed" up with carbonite.

i didn't want to loos ALL of the detail, but I've filled them in like this ..

1D4EE3B3-055E-47F1-889C-8F8EAED6F357_zps6mzjgdol.png

Last edited:
Updates will start to slow down a bit as I work faster than paint dries. I'm out of things to do besides paint.

Here's where he's at as of this morning. Primer is done. Will start an antique nickel coat next. I still haven't decided on the color of the box yet. I've seen versions where the box is darker than the framed carbonite area and then I've seen versions ( including the visual dictionary) that have it all the same slate slab color throughout the whole piece.

I know.... Must be rough when these are the things keeping me up at night.

9178291A-7905-4CC0-8497-3ABB7AC005D8_zpsynjijrc0.png

I loved getting it covered in primer. It's so much easier to see it as a whole now.

However, primer also shows you all of the flaws. I really am looking for a soft blend from the droid to the Carbonite. There are a lot of areas where the liquid nails shriveled up when it dried too... Not digging the look.

So, to take some of the sharpness out of these areas, I filled them in with drywall mud. I'll let it dry overnight and then sand it tomorrow. It looks drastic, but after its sanded , the differences will be subtle

Here's what I'm talking about. Wrinkles and if you zoom in , you can see there are some sharp edges that could be blended better

34958293863_d0c65da5f4_b.jpg

34927274564_cb1a5ac7b8_b.jpg

Hate to end the day on the "before"', but Hopefully I'll have some pics ready by tomorrow night of the "after"

Last edited:
So after countless nights of losing sleep over which movie version to paint it , I flipped a coin and went with an ESB two tone.

I painted the box with several layers of nickel and black before putting the final coat of slate grey seen in the pics below. I did this because I think the box will take a lot of abuse over time and having black or metal show during damage/scratches is better than wood.

I still need to weather the carbonite area and clear coat.

35727331896_04489fe98c_b.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back