R2 lights - there has to be other options..

KrangPrime

Master Member
These where my first joymonkey sets from astromech. they where fun to setup and install, as soldering is real hands on stuff with instant results.
it was also fun to learn how to solder right. these guys are still in my r2 working properly after years.

420435_10150644202635211_1638369999_n.jpg

eventually, I wanted something a bit brighter. I upgraded to the LED edition. and bright they where. only problem is, they where ten times tougher to setup and install.
I eventually ran out of fiber wire because I made so many mistakes trying to get the little wires run down to the right sections. when you think they where in the right spot, and noticed they wheren't, you had to re run it, but the length of the wire was wrong...and then... ugh...it got so frustrating, especially after breaking one of the support boards. that I eventually gave up. i'm probably going to wind up throwing them out. I only got the rear logic board assembled, and the stability of the fiber optic cables isn't very good....they easily fall out if it's not exactly the right length. for those of us not expertly skilled, the previous set was far easier.
IMG_5518.JPG

so, here is a question. also open to joymonkey if he's on here, since I don't visit the other site that much anymore.

would it be possible to have the basic led board done and printed up so you DON'T need to run the wires? just plug and play? I realize the LEDs would have to be super small, almost as small in order for it to map out correctly, but if so, it would be OH so much nicer an install. just plug and play.

just curious if such a thing is possible to design. even if it'd cost more..and if anyone would be wiling to do a run. my front projector is starting to get a bit dull..you can hardly see the red LEDs anymore, so it might be time for an upgrade ;o)

Last edited:
Those are Joymonkey's boards, not Monkeyman's (he's the 3d printed R2 parts guy). They are set up that way becuase that's the tightest Joymonkey could get the RGB LEDs. You,can get extra fiber, though. The effort is worth it for the Joymonkey logics, IMO, but if they are too much hassle, the Teeces lights are still grreat.

You might get more respinse over at Astromech.net

Those are Joymonkey's boards, not Monkeyman's (he's the 3d printed R2 parts guy). They are set up that way becuase that's the tightest Joymonkey could get the RGB LEDs. You,can get extra fiber, though. The effort is worth it for the Joymonkey logics, IMO, but if they are too much hassle, the Teeces lights are still grreat.

You might get more respinse over at Astromech.net

whoops, I ALWAYS get those two guys confused. I thought I had it right this time ;o)....I actually had it as joeymonkey the first time around, but switched it over. I'll correct it.

Since R2 got finished, I don't think i've been on astromech for at least the last 6 months.... decided to post it here where I'll remember to check it, since the users tend to double on both boards ;o).

figured it couldn't hurt. no rush or urgency..just curious if it's even possible to do ;o).

whoops, I ALWAYS get those two guys confused. I thought I had it right this time ;o)....I actually had it as joeymonkey the first time around, but switched it over. I'll correct it.

Since R2 got finished, I don't think i've been on astromech for at least the last 6 months.... decided to post it here where I'll remember to check it, since the users tend to double on both boards ;o).

figured it couldn't hurt. no rush or urgency..just curious if it's even possible to do ;o).

I know Paul (Joymonkey) struggled to get the boards that small, so it's the best you'll get. I do empathize, though. I bought an extra spool of the fiber and wound up breaking a bezel. Finally got it together and into R2's dome, though!

Hey Neil...There are tons of ways you can go about it. And it all depends on how much you want to spend, how elaborate you want them to be, and how authentic you want them to be to the films...

Option one...Do what they did in the original films. use fiberoptic cable running to a box with a bright light and a color wheel inside. I've got the diagrams for the original color wheel designs stored somewhere. You bundle all the fiberoptic together and place the rotating color wheel between the light source and the ends of the fiberoptic cable. The effect is awesome, and very authentic to the films.

Option two...Do what they did in the prequels...Run the fiberoptic cable to a flickering light source and then paint the various ends of the cable with translucent paint. Blue and clear for the front...Red, green, yellow, etc for the rear...The light source flickers, and they flicker accordingly. This was how the ILM R2 was made.

For the red/blue and green/yellow flashers...There's tons of different options as well. Here's a few links that might be interesting to you.

http://shop.fiberopticproducts.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=96_105&product_id=425

http://shop.fiberopticproducts.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=96_106_221&product_id=618

http://shop.fiberopticproducts.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=135_157_195&page=2

Of course, a simple TEECES kit would be an easy option. Contact DKMurphy on the boards, as he sometimes has extra ones lying around that are already assembled.

Hope that helps,
Jason

before you throw them out, ill buy them off you to practice, that way when i do mine i will feel more comfortable. i really like joymonkeys product, i cant wait to order a set of front and rear

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back