Real workshop R2 droid/ mobile toolbox-work area: what would it do???

Sinza

Sorry if this is the wrong area…
In media, Droids seem very helpful. My idea is…if Adam Savage (and other makers) had a real workshop R2unit what would it do?
I’m thinking of a R2 where the different panels are drawers , it has a power strip, flex light, solder station, maybe a mini disc sander, maybe a Dremel station. Maybe the Droid is hexagon or octagon shape instead of round…for the drawers, and maybe a flat top head as a work area.
Would have to have a pad sized screen with A.I. (Siri?)
Either your normal RC wheels, or just caster wheels, depends if you want it to move itself.
I’ve seen many wonderful R2 units that are beyond impressive….but I haven’t seen one that REALLY does anything. I’m interested in something that is a useful tool platform.
Would it be worth it? Would it just slow you down and get in the way? Or would it be a great way to have what you need near you?

Adam Savage, we all know who he is, his old toolbox…on wheels and scissor extenders, built into a R2 like robot(?)/ object(?) with tools and work area.
It’s just a rolling (RC?) toolbox/ work area with a.i. chat and a iPad.

I’ll try and do a proper drawing, with drawers and tools, but this is the general idea.
WHAT would you add? HOW? WHERE?
Either it’s a great idea or it’s a dumb idea, but if it’s dumb wouldn’t that mean droids are not worth it?
Thank you for any responses. Any good ideas I’ll try and work into a proper drawing…I can art…not that the picture below shows that.

What would you want in a realistic workshop droid?

IMG_3370.jpeg

Here’s what chat GPT came up with…

In a hobby maker workshop, a droid could be incredibly useful in several ways:

1. Assistance with Tasks: The droid could assist with various tasks around the workshop, such as fetching tools or materials, holding objects in place, or even helping with assembly or disassembly tasks.
  2. Organization and Inventory Management: It could help organize tools and materials by moving them to designated areas or keeping track of inventory levels through sensors or barcode scanning.
  3. Cleaning and Maintenance: The droid could be programmed to help with cleaning up the workspace, sweeping the floor, or even performing routine maintenance tasks on equipment.
  4. Technical Support: If equipped with educational programming capabilities, the droid could provide technical support to users by guiding them through troubleshooting procedures or offering advice on project implementation.
  5. Safety Monitoring: With sensors for detecting hazards like smoke, fire, or leaks, the droid could monitor the workshop environment and alert users to potential safety concerns.
  6. Entertainment and Inspiration: The droid could also serve as a source of entertainment and inspiration for workshop participants, engaging them with its interactive features, demonstrations, or educational content.
Overall, integrating a droid into the workshop environment could enhance efficiency, safety, and enjoyment for hobbyists by providing valuable assistance and support throughout their creative endeavors.
Designing a droid for a hobby maker workshop opens up a range of possibilities. Here are some ideas of what it could do:

1. Remote Control Operation: Enable the droid to be controlled remotely via a smartphone app or a handheld controller.
  2. Obstacle Avoidance: Incorporate sensors to detect obstacles and navigate around them autonomously.
  3. Object Manipulation: Equip the droid with an arm or gripper mechanism to pick up and move objects.
  4. Voice Interaction: Implement voice recognition and synthesis capabilities for interacting with users through spoken commands and responses.
  5. Environmental Monitoring: Install sensors to measure temperature, humidity, or air quality and transmit data back to the user.
  6. Educational Programming: Provide programmable features to teach users coding and robotics concepts.
  7. Customizable Appearance: Allow users to customize the droid's appearance with interchangeable parts or accessories.
  8. Light and Sound Effects: Incorporate LEDs and speakers for visual and auditory feedback, such as flashing lights and beeping sounds.
  9. Wireless Connectivity: Include Bluetooth or Wi-Fi connectivity for communication with other devices or for remote operation.
  10. Autonomous Exploration: Program the droid to explore its environment autonomously, mapping out its surroundings or following predefined routes.
These are just a few ideas to get started, but the possibilities are endless depending on the interests and skills of the hobbyists involved in the workshop.
‘“Can you expand on your answer?”
Certainly! Let's delve deeper into how a droid could be useful in a hobby maker workshop:

1. Assistance with Tasks:
    • Fetching Tools and Materials: The droid could navigate the workshop space to retrieve specific tools or materials needed for a project, saving time for users who would otherwise have to search for them.
    • Holding Objects: With a stable base and adjustable gripper mechanism, the droid could hold objects in place during soldering, painting, or other tasks that require steady positioning.
    • Assembly/Disassembly Assistance: For complex projects, the droid could assist users by holding components in place or guiding them through the assembly or disassembly process step by step.
  2. Organization and Inventory Management:
    • Moving and Sorting: By autonomously moving items to designated storage areas or sorting them based on type or usage frequency, the droid could help maintain a tidy and efficient workspace.
    • Inventory Tracking: Utilizing sensors or RFID technology, the droid could track inventory levels and alert users when supplies need to be replenished, reducing downtime and preventing interruptions during projects.
  3. Cleaning and Maintenance:
    • Sweeping and Vacuuming: Equipped with brushes or vacuum attachments, the droid could autonomously clean up debris and dust from the workshop floor, ensuring a clean and safe working environment.
    • Equipment Maintenance: With appropriate attachments and programming, the droid could perform routine maintenance tasks on tools and equipment, such as oiling moving parts or replacing worn-out components.
  4. Technical Support:
    • Troubleshooting Assistance: Using its interactive interface, the droid could guide users through troubleshooting procedures, providing visual and auditory instructions for diagnosing and resolving issues with their projects.
    • Project Guidance: Through preloaded tutorials or real-time assistance, the droid could offer guidance on project implementation, suggesting techniques, materials, or design ideas to inspire creativity and problem-solving.
  5. Safety Monitoring:
    • Hazard Detection: Equipped with sensors for detecting smoke, heat, or gas leaks, the droid could monitor the workshop environment for potential safety hazards and alert users or trigger safety protocols if necessary.
    • Emergency Response: In the event of an emergency, such as a fire or medical issue, the droid could alert emergency services and provide vital information about the situation, helping to ensure a prompt and effective response.
  6. Entertainment and Inspiration:
    • Interactive Demonstrations: Through interactive displays or demonstrations, the droid could showcase its capabilities and inspire users with creative project ideas or innovative techniques.
    • Educational Content: Incorporating educational programming and multimedia resources, the droid could provide users with access to tutorials, project plans, and educational content to enhance their skills and knowledge in various areas of making and robotics.
By integrating these functionalities into a droid designed specifically for a hobby maker workshop, users could benefit from enhanced efficiency, safety, and enjoyment in their creative endeavors, while also gaining valuable experience in robotics and automation technologies.

In media, astrodroids are helpful because they are intelligent multi-tools crossed with a smartphone.

In real life, until the droid can do things on it's own you're basically asking "do I want to put my attention on controlling the droid that's controlling the drill, or do I want to control the drill?" There are certainly fun reasons for opting for the former, but as someone who's building a astrodroid, the main reason they don't "do anything" is because they're awkward and difficult to control and you end up using a lot of attention just to operate them.

The other reason, of course, is that the main purpose of an R2-D2 replica is to make people happy and to that end you don't actually want functioning saws or vacuums or anything like that in them.

To be sure, I'd love to see a cool looking Star Wars themed mobile work station. But for a "realistic workshop droid," I'd want a functional, friendly, plug-and-play general AI before everything else.

The other reason, of course, is that the main purpose of an R2-D2 replica is to make people happy and to that end you don't actually want functioning saws or vacuums or anything like that in them.
Depends on what makes you happy.
Again, mobile toolbox. I never said the droid would be drilling/ but the mobile toolbox might have a small dremel drill/tool setup.
RC R2 replicas are ‘toys’. Very cool toys, but you drive it around, it makes noise, we all smile…toy.
I was thinking more of a cool looking toolbox with a few additions. I have a rolling toolbox about 4ft tall…make it look like a droid, add a iPad, a flex light and maybe a few simple little power tools. Obviously there isn’t going to be a robot drilling anything, it’s just a cosmetic design to a toolbox/work station. That’s why I said maybe use caster wheels.

Please, I’m not asking what WON’T work. I understand that we don’t have ‘intelligent’ robots yet, not what I’m talking about.
Simple idea…Droid on outside, drawers, parts, tools on inside. Instead of a ‘toy’ it’s a ‘tool’. More of tool storage/ work station, but not RC ‘toy’.
Not a ‘replica’ to ‘make people happy’, but a cool looking tool/ part storage. Ever seen a liquor bar inside of a world globe….same idea.

I thank you very much for your reply. I reread your reply and I think I missed the last sentence, sorry for that. ‘Star Wars themed mobile work station” Yes, you are correct. Calling it a workshop ‘droid’ was a bit on the wrong side for me, sorry if I was confusing.

So…. Star Wars themed mobile workstation/tool box.
How would you trick it out? What would you add?

I need a new project, was thinking this might be a fun build and a bit different. I would think that most of the life of these replicas are static just sitting there until the next event. Would be cool to have a R2 sitting in the shop that has use other that ‘toy’.

But now that I’ve mentioned the ‘bar in a globe’ I can’t stop thinking of a R2 where the ‘head’ opens up to ice chilled bar….would be a cool mobile liquor bar.
Thank you again for any responses.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back