W.I.P Portal sentry turret - fully working replica

JakeySnakey630

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi guys and gals,

After finishing my Fifth Element ZF1, I decided to have a go at making one of these cute little dudes..

LToSSKO.jpg

This will move, sound and act like the game version. Each arm will have two BB guns each, and it’ll make sounds and extend and retract its weapons.

So here we go...

Bought 6 of these toy BB guns..

rzXnXWk.jpg

..and instantly took them all apart to figure out how I could make it work.

kcZawoB.jpg

UVBXOOX.jpg

An early test to check for fit..

chAGMuJ.jpg

The airsoft gearboxes have to be angled past each other so they fit..

hCk2BVB.jpg

This pipe will feed the lower barrel it’s BBs..

aklvFBA.jpg

The extending barrels need a stiffener plate to function properly..

kk5DRw7.jpg

2c1Zdfh.mp4

(open image in new tab if it doesn’t load)

ByNl3i3.mp4

Silicone pipes will feed BBs from hopper in the top of the head..

PqsxOX9.jpg

Firing!!

upwOBqi.mp4

Turning down aluminium barrels to fit better..

DvCbiZX.jpg

Much better!!

H7OvUiq.jpg

bPQMaCQ.jpg

Gun pod with cover..

o9J17NT.png

The whole pod also retracts into the side frame. This mechanism had to be designed too..

Retracted..

sZL41i3.png

Extended..

csKQsK5.png

The idea is to have them spring loaded, so they extend and retract themselves as the arms extend.

LOx5a7q.jpg

Gunpod..

mhxA0Y3.jpg

The grey parts will be replaced with aluminium soon..

Programmed to fire on button press..

WXnr0oO.mp4

(Open in new tab if it fails to load)

With BBs..

KXn1Wjs.mp4

Upgraded gun parts..

B5dmBQU.jpg

This turned aluminium acts as a guide for a pin..

eQLjecK.jpg

The frame houses two pins, each also has a spring. They allow for a smooth, square movement of the gunpod in and out of its shroud..

PKTlN8l.jpg

Springy!!

K7dDVzQ.mp4

Keep and eye out for my next update. I’ll be making the extension mechanism that extends and retracts both of the side arms. Quite complicated..

These are some of the parts required!!

zMrrsYt.jpg

Thank you for looking!

Saw you mention this a while back as being your next project, and have been looking forward to this thread ever since! Great job so far and best of luck with the build. l’m excited to watch it all come together; seeing that I’m a total sucker for these games!

Thank you for the comments everyone. This is going to be an interesting one!

After getting the first gunpod more or less finalised, the big concern for me is the extension/ retraction mechanism. This forms the spine of the entire build, it needs to be robust, accurate, each side needs to carry the weight of a gunpod, frame and outer shell, and it needs to repeatably extend and retract to the same positions without wobbling around or looking rubbish! No problemo!

First up build it in Fusion..

SZ11EpX.png

This is effectively a 2 way rack and pinion, powering another 2 way rack and pinion on either side. If I get rid of the middle tubes, the mechanism would sag at its fullest extents due to the weight on the arms. This should mitigate any sagging and enable a smoother motion.

Cross section of motor, power cog and encoder..

W9Folv3.png

This shows the motor (in blue) and opposite the hollow cylinder is where the encoder sits. This accurately measures the rotation of the motor and attached spur gear and will let me accurately position where the arms extends and retracts too. The cog rotates around 540 degrees for a full extension, and I think this gives me a count 1048 times per revolution, so pretty accurate!!

Bought rack parts, cut up and drilled for holding..

67I5uOv.jpg

Placed in arbor for turning a radius onto their backs...

Vuo4OsA.jpg

Radiused, this will sit perfectly in side its respective telescopic tube..

mmnYkVS.jpg

Motor and motor holder...

WHXLQoZ.jpg

Beginning assembly of main tube..

GQCpnRu.jpg

..with encoder shaft and magnet.

ieKGJxM.jpg

..with encoder attached..

TMChpMP.jpg

This was interesting to design as you have to actually be able to assemble the parts!

Parts for middle tube...

qRJqrAa.jpg

..this is a 'rack aligner' jig I made to perfectly ensure correct alignment..(20mm steel rod with groove and hole for lining up)

hitWa8s.jpg

Welded...

urfLbP6.jpg

Main and middle tubes...

QJmFVGK.jpg

Middle tubes needed their own pinion gears to power the smaller, inner tubes that carry the gunpods, frame etc

TM6X8JF.jpg

...small bushes turned from brass to hold pinion gear central in shaft.

Middle tubes finished!

k9nUv6y.jpg

Inner tubes started..

kQ2vy35.jpg

...these (as the ones before) are cut over length, they have their grooves and holes machined into them and then get cut down to correct length. These are pictured over length.

I had to make an alignment jig for the two rack pieces in the main tube...

uYD7X36.jpg

..turned from brass rod, with groove to hold rack and alignment hole to make alignment spot on. Misalignment would mean the whole mechanism doesn't work..

All ready to go..

wfEiYNl.jpg

..the hole in the tube is for welding the parts together...I ended up using 2 part epoxy.

Finally I reused the old arbor for turning down the inner tube racking..

rHg8gfY.jpg

Inner tubes finished...

46ZX8Ur.jpg

All the main parts..

iIboCaS.jpg

Working at 15Vs!! Nice and quick and smooth...extension is about the same as in the game. This is powered only by a relay so doesn't allow retraction at the moment but this will change when I wire up a proper motor controller.

giphy.gif

...and with mounted gunpod..

giphy.gif

The second gunpod is on its way so hopefully have this thing firing quad BB guns in the next couple of days!! Then I have to make the gimbal for the whole lot so it can aim.

Stay tuned!!

Following ! It's all hocus pocus to me, but nevertheless amazing stuff to watch !
Good luck with the (process towards) completion !

That is some excellent machining. Is it just a hobby for you, or are you in that field?

following this to see your progress!

I'm a general fabricator/modelmaker by trade. Not props, but pretty much anything. This is my second prop, after my ZF1 I finished a couple of months ago.

This project however is my new found hobby! Spend my lunch breaks and an hour or two after work every day.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back