Pacific Rim

Neil Gaiman tweeted this last night.

neilhimself : Took my Clarion Class to see a preview of Pacific Rim. We stumbled out happy from the adrenaline rush of a perfect monsters v robots film.

Director Edgar Wright.

edgarwright: Holy Toho. Guillermo just kaiju'd my eyeballs.

Last edited:
Man, I really do want to see this movie.

I just can't stop thinking about Neon Genesis Evangelion and how this seems to be the closest thing yet. Although in Pacific Rim they are not 'angels' attacking Earth. Looks like they left religious themes out of this story. Whew!

Hideo Kojima (video game director and creator of the Metal Gear Solid series) on Pacific Rim.

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN

"Dear twitter friends, The followings are my comment regarding "Pacific Rim". Luckily I was allowed to tweet in public by WB."

"I have never imagined that I would be fortunate enough to see a film like this in my life."

"The emotional rush I had inside me was the same kind I had when I felt the outer space via "2001: A Space Odyssey" and...."

"and when I had touched the dinosaur in "Jurassic Park". Animation and special effects movies and shows that I loved in my childhood days -"

"they all truly exist in the screen. Director Guillermo del Toro offers this spectacular vision of massive kaijus and robots in PACIFIC RIM."

"This film is not simply a film to be respected, but most importantly, it let us dream the future of entertainment movies."

"Pacific Rim is the ultimate otaku film that all of us had always been waiting for. Who are you, if you are Japanese and won't watch this?"

"I hope you would accept this inspirational love letter that had traveled across the Pacific, written by Director Guillermo del Toro."

Drew McWeeny of HitFix.com on Pacific Rim.

"One reason I love "Pacific Rim": The world looks worn, weathered. Great sci-fi should always look used and beat-up."

"In general, if you're world building on film, worn and weathered is great. When everything looks new, it feels fake."

"Think about your favorite sci-fi movies. Think about the world of those films. They look lived in."

Joe Utichi on Pacific Rim.

"Pacific Rim is my favourite film of this summer. Del Toro's mastery is in maintaining humanity, no matter how epic the scale."

"It strikes a tough balance: affecting peril without being dour, and injecting humour without becoming farce."

"Del Toro understands how important idiosyncrasy is to making the epic seem attainable. We're always connected to this world."

"The bar is always lowered by dumb blockbusters that just want your cash. Seeing #PacificRim is a vote for filmmakers determined to raise it."

"Credit, too, to @ travisbeacham, who blends the biggest monster/robot action with a beautifully eclectic ensemble of characters."

I know this will be a hokey "punch and alien in the face" movie, but I can't wait. I am 45 and grew up on monster movies. I have two teenage boys that can't wait to see it. I have a buddy with young kids that can't wait to see it. It is a disaster film. It is wrestlemania on an epic level. The critics will hate it and people will vote with their wallets. They want to see it on the big screen.
I think this is going to be a "monster" hit.

I saw a Del Toro interview when he was on "The Nerdist" a month ago and he talked about how they didn't use motion capture due to the mass involved with the robots. They instead used other techniques to achieve the right look. That to me told me that he "got it" when so many other directors do not. Tell fanciful stories, but don't insult intelligence when it comes to the basics. Prior to that I had no knowledge of Pacific Rim at all. But after that interview... DARN RIGHT I'm going to see this film! Now how long before we see model kits of the robots and monsters? Bring them on I say!

If anyone is skeptical about the 3D, read the following.

It's post-converted 3D and the following are del Toro's recent quotes regarding the 3D version. And judging by some of the other 3D screening responses I have read, it seems the 3D is really done well.

"For action, adventure and genre cinema, I'm now a converted fan of 3D. I asked the studio (Legendary Pictures) for the complete control of the 3D. I asked them for 40 weeks or so to get the 3D conversion, it usually takes just 8 to 12 weeks, and they agreed. As I'm a complete control freak, we achieved a 3D conversion that I think people will be very happy with it. It's now my favorite format for the vision of this movie, but I don't think 3D is for every film. If you can watch Pacific Rim in 3D, make sure to watch it that way."

And his quotes from last year.

“What happened was, in the weeks and months following Comic-Con, what I asked from the studio was to agree to four points that I wanted to do. The more the ILM shots arrived, the more I realized that there were only a few shots that would miniaturize. I asked the studio, number one, that we would not hyper-stereo-lize the thing. That we would not force 3D on the beauty shots. That we would keep the giant dimensions. They agreed.”

“Number two, they agreed to something very unusual. Normally a conversion takes a few weeks. I asked to start it immediately so we could take the full 40 weeks to do the conversion. As an example, Titanic took about 50 weeks to convert. The final thing that I asked that they agreed to, which was amazing, was that I asked them to give me an extra budget, which is considerable, to actually have ILM composite the shots that are CG native 3D. We’re not giving elements. ILM is giving the composite in 3D from the get-go. That’s a huge, huge element. Now I’m going to be involved in supervising it. What can I tell you? I changed my mind."

Odd City Entertainment

Odd City Entertainment's Pacific Rim Poster by Graham Erwin

Release Date: 07/11/2013
Artist: Graham Erwin
Title: Pacific Rim
Size: 12×36
Printed by: D&L Screenprinting
Numbered
Run Size: 175
Regular Details: 5 Colors
Paper: French Spearmint 110 lb
Price: $50

"Odd City is excited to finally reveal our debut piece with experienced poster artist Graham Erwin. Erwin detailed his vision for his print,

“When first approached by Odd City to work on a poster for Pacific Rim, I immediately dove into watching all the trailers available to get a sense of what I found personally exciting about the film. The thing that struck me was how the Jaegers seemed truly massive, towering, and powerful. Each robot was designed with very strong silhouettes and such high levels of detail that I knew they would work well as a focal point with my illustration style. After some talk with Odd City’s CEO, Roman, we decided to go with the 12″ x 36″ format and custom lettering to hopefully put a unique spin on what is already a great property.”

Pacific-Rim-Poster-Graham+Erwin-Odd-City.jpg

Mondo reveals 'Pacific Rim' Comic-Con posters | Inside Movies | EW.com

Pacific Rim by Kevin Tong

mondo-pacific-rim-poster-02_612x918.jpg

Pacific Rim by Vania Zouravliov

mondo-pacific-rim-poster-01.jpg

Pacific Rim (Kaiju) by Ash Thorp

mondo-pacific-rim-poster-03.jpg

Pacific Rim(Jaeger) by Ash Thorp

mondo-pacific-rim-poster-04.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back