Original Star Wars Star Destroyer - Kits

Here you go. I included the measurements of the part that goes on the front face of the bridge and the part that goes on the front lip of the docking bay as well.

essex_measurements.jpg

Last edited:
I just got my Fujimi M36 and M4A1. I'm starting to dred the idea of casting some of these since I have no idea what I'm doing :lol

Where are those three angled pieces on the large engines from?

I just got my Fujimi M36 and M4A1. I'm starting to dred the idea of casting some of these since I have no idea what I'm doing :lol

Where are those three angled pieces on the large engines from?

Please post pics of the M36! I think the fourth, different cannon is the JGSDF type 74.

The Jackson has a sprue that's the same as the Sherman. So we get one more bottom plate. I'm not sure on the M36 being the base for the three cannons.

01.jpg

02.jpg

Last edited:
That JGSDF type 74 does look good though. They obviously added a new canon, but the main body looks right. Internet Hobbies has a 1/35 Tamiya and I've found reference to a 1:76 Fujimi, but I can't find the 1:76 for sale yet.

The main part for the three side turrets is the turret from the Hasegawa 1/72 M4A3E8 Sherman, turned around backward. The brim trech quad-turrets are from the Hasegawa 1/450 Bismarck / Tirpitz, which contributes a few other parts as well.

Thank you so much for te images with the measurements! I really think that we're going to walk away from this process knowing a lot more than we did before. I'm still working on the neck of the bridge - I want to make sure that I get it as close as I can, and it's chalenging considering the two axis of rotation. It's a subtle thing, and I'm sure that only rpf'ers and a select few others would ever notice, but isn't that what this exercise is about?

I bought some 1/16" card stock and balsa wood that I'm going to use to do some pattern testing (the paper in my last test is limited in it's usefulness because the thin thickness doesn't match what will ultimately be used in the construction). I'll thow together the pattern for the bridge when I get a chance and post it so that we can start to talk about how the formatting shoud work.

Thanks again!

There's a few things I noticed tonight I'd either like to point out, or get others opinion on. These may not be revelations to most, but they're things I just noticed or need clarification on.

1) It looks like the 8rad part used in the cutout is used in the trench again right towards the front (See This Pic). It also looks like it was cut down. The three holes from one side are really close to the cylindrical part. You can see the cut as well. Right at the front of the 8rad part is another ship conning tower part. I haven't had a chance to look at my parts to see if it matches a certain ship yet.

2) In the trench, just aft of the main cutout, are 4 of the same part (or is that one thing). (See This Pic) It also appears on both the port and starboard sides just forward of the main cutout, but flipped. (See This Pic and This Pic) This part shows up on the 5' Falcon as well, again as 4 in a row. It looks familiar, but again I haven't had a chance to ID it. If it is 4 parts, it's strange that ILM always uses it in 4s.

3) Does anyone know for sure if the entire ship was covered in thin styrene? There are some spots, like certain levels of the superstructure where you can clearly see a thin sheet that's overhanging or is peeling up. Also at the back of the ship the edge seems very thin. The small rectangles that they added to the back that overhang look pretty close together. Did they thin the edge before adding the details at the back? (See This Pic)

4) The edge of the main hull looks to have U shaped styrene run along the edge with a flat sheet added to the inner side. (See This Pic).

5) I'm curious to know if anyone knows if the small triangular parts that are sitting verticle on the superstructure are from a kit or just styrene. You can see them on the level up, just behind the main guns (See This Pic).

Jeff~!

The same parts were used repeatedly on the trench of ANH ISD such as 8rad, Matilda, Centurion and so on...
Also, the opposite side was used the same parts(upturned pattern).
I will post my ISD in progress and used deep channel for U shaped styrene.
It is quite match IMO.

There's a few things I noticed tonight I'd either like to point out, or get others opinion on. These may not be revelations to most, but they're things I just noticed or need clarification on.

1) It looks like the 8rad part used in the cutout is used in the trench again right towards the front (See This Pic). It also looks like it was cut down. The three holes from one side are really close to the cylindrical part. You can see the cut as well. Right at the front of the 8rad part is another ship conning tower part. I haven't had a chance to look at my parts to see if it matches a certain ship yet.

2) In the trench, just aft of the main cutout, are 4 of the same part (or is that one thing). (See This Pic) It also appears on both the port and starboard sides just forward of the main cutout, but flipped. (See This Pic and This Pic) This part shows up on the 5' Falcon as well, again as 4 in a row. It looks familiar, but again I haven't had a chance to ID it. If it is 4 parts, it's strange that ILM always uses it in 4s.

3) Does anyone know for sure if the entire ship was covered in thin styrene? There are some spots, like certain levels of the superstructure where you can clearly see a thin sheet that's overhanging or is peeling up. Also at the back of the ship the edge seems very thin. The small rectangles that they added to the back that overhang look pretty close together. Did they thin the edge before adding the details at the back? (See This Pic)

4) The edge of the main hull looks to have U shaped styrene run along the edge with a flat sheet added to the inner side. (See This Pic).

5) I'm curious to know if anyone knows if the small triangular parts that are sitting verticle on the superstructure are from a kit or just styrene. You can see them on the level up, just behind the main guns (See This Pic).

Last edited:
Last edited:

They may be castings, because the parts added to the 8 rad part (from the Airfix 1:24 Mustang, the Nichimo Jagdtiger, and the Bandai Kubelwagen) are the same on the Y Wing. It's the same question - why did they use the same parts each time? There are also Hasegawa Sherman parts in the trenches. The good news is its the same stuff used over and over again - not a lot to identify.

It would be a pain in the A$$ to thin acrylic down like that, so it's probably just added styrene. Don't know if it's on the whole ship or just the superstructure levels.

Yes - I don't know if it's Styrene or ABS, but it is square deep channel. On the ESB Destroyer it is an aluminum extruded profile! I found it on some site a while back, but I can't remember it...

Thanks for the input guys.

Flintlock, I noticed on your blog you mentioned the 5" Plastruct sphere. Any chance if you cut a circle the size of the dome on the bottom of the SD that you could tell if the SD dome was a larger or smaller radius? The SD dome is clearly not a whole hemishere, but I haven't been able to figure out approximately the diameter that would be needed. Until we get a definitive length we won't know for sure, but since you have those spheres on hand....

I post some pics :)
Eventually, I fail lit-up as you can see in the 1st pics...:cry

Thanks for the input guys.

Flintlock, I noticed on your blog you mentioned the 5" Plastruct sphere. Any chance if you cut a circle the size of the dome on the bottom of the SD that you could tell if the SD dome was a larger or smaller radius? The SD dome is clearly not a whole hemishere, but I haven't been able to figure out approximately the diameter that would be needed. Until we get a definitive length we won't know for sure, but since you have those spheres on hand....

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back