One-Stop 11' TOS Enterprise Reference Thread: NCC-1701, No Bloody A...

Original vs CBS Digital

CGI vs original.jpg

:)Spockboy

Blueprints can look quite diferente from the final model. There was a small model (lost today) usedin The Cage, that have diferent measure proportion to the upper saucer.
Are you sure there is a accurate blueprint made only for the deflector dish (second version)?

Well, if you refer about frames of scenes of the ship moving, there is some problems, but for photo stills there is no motion blur or deformations due moviment while the frame is exposed (and it's not exposed exactly the same time in the top acompared to the lower ares of frame) with moviment. Anyway the DS9 episode trial and Tribbles Action used a lot of information from vídeo and fotos, to recreate the TOS portions sets that was need.

About cast the original TOS model... Why not ? The TNG model was cast to make some replicas (with some poor finish) for Las Vegas. I don't want a giant model in home. But I would like to see copies of this model in more places.

The deflector was made from ORIGINAL REVISED BLUEPRINTS.
The curvature that most film camera lenses induce would making the analysis of the film invalid.
How far off form perfect would "Near Perfect be"??

You must have NEVER cast something large before.

Why not see if you can competently build and light the Round 2 1/350 scale mode first.

Last edited:
Blueprints can look quite diferente from the final model. There was a small model (lost today) usedin The Cage, that have diferent measure proportion to the upper saucer.
Are you sure there is a accurate blueprint made only for the deflector dish (second version)?

Well, if you refer about frames of scenes of the ship moving, there is some problems, but for photo stills there is no motion blur or deformations due moviment while the frame is exposed (and it's not exposed exactly the same time in the top acompared to the lower ares of frame) with moviment. Anyway the DS9 episode trial and Tribbles Action used a lot of information from vídeo and fotos, to recreate the TOS portions sets that was need.

About cast the original TOS model... Why not ? The TNG model was cast to make some replicas (with some poor finish) for Las Vegas. I don't want a giant model in home. But I would like to see copies of this model in more places.

They had access to the original blueprints that the original model was made from so I'd say that's about as good as source as you could have. This team was made up of experts and the job they did was fantastic. There really is no need to question the level of accuracy they achieved; this was the "A" team.

Last edited:
i see the cad files shown in pdf format but if we were to ask for the cad files could we get them? i know Kerr made them him self but are they obtainable?

Do any of you happen to know the color of Busard Collectors? The nacelle plexi domes that fit over and cover the rotating blade domes. Are they Amber? Bronze? Frosted and Bronze?
Please advise.

The Busards are orange. My understanding is the original acrylic hemispheres were sandblasted to frost them then sprayed with orange Plaka ink. I would assume that the restoration team used a similar approach.

Can anyone identify the exact specs on those nuts? I think I'll make a SketchUp model of this nacelle cap but I want some real-world data to start with.

According to Gary's report on the hardware available for download here, they're standard hardware store brass cap nuts with a 4-40 thread.

Next question: How were the tabs held in place? Each recess around the perimeter of the front of the nacelle had an original screw hole, with a small nail hole on either side of the screw hole. The nail holes were leftovers from a previous restoration, but the screw holes appeared to be original. Ariel confirmed that the holes were made for 4-40 threads.

Some years previously, I had examined some high resolution publicity photos of the Production version model, and it appeared that each tab was held in place by a single round-head machine screw and a simple hex nut. It was hard to be certain, because even if you are examining a high resolution photo, a quarter-inch wide detail part on an 11-foot spaceship model won't be crystal-clear. Nevertheless, I thought that I had the answer, but then our new color photos added a wrinkle; some of the nuts had been partially unscrewed while somebody was performing maintenance on the model, and while the threads were silver, as I expected, the nut and head of the screw appeared to be one piece and were a bright golden color. In addition, the head of the screw appeared to be more convex than that of a regular machine screw. So much for the machine screw and hex nut theory. What had Richard Datin used 50 years ago?

Shortly thereafter, I found myself wandering the hardware aisle of a nearby big-box home improvement store, looking for a likely suspect, and then I saw the answer to my question, a brass acorn cap nut. It was the correct gold color, the correct tall shape, and once you’ve screwed a silver-colored length of thread into it, then VOILA - you've got a starship nacelle tab holder-onner! Or whatever you want to call it. I'll let Mike Okuda or Rick Sternbach come up with a more technical-sounding name. Trouble was, all the cap nuts and threads at the big-box store were too large, but during my day-long, waterlogged search for hardware, I finally found a local mom and pop hardware store that carried the correct size.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have that pic from the gallery associated with his report.
Ah, yes, of course. That would be the gallery that I totally overlooked. Most likely a senior moment (though what I actually get is more like senior days with the occasional lucid moment). :p

I am seriously going to give it at least another six months before I start building my CG Enterprise. There's just too much data flowing out from Gary and NASM right now. I'm sure if I work long and hard, I can find some fault with that somewhere. Fortunately for me, I'm one lazy *******. :p

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back