Official Star Trek Phaser Thread

Originally posted by SWFreak@Dec 23 2005, 10:14 AM
So where can one go to find out how to upgrade a Art Asylum phaser? I'd be interested in parts, paint colors and or a tutorial.

Thanks
-Chris
[snapback]1142234[/snapback]​
USSCassiopeia did the upgrade for me. He really did a fantastic job on the upgrade.

OK this is rare and special but you're a good bunch of guys so I guess I can share with you. :D

This is a casting off of a screenused "dummy" prop (also called "midgrade")... this is the phaser used most often, during the second and third seasons. Chances are if Shatner has a pistol phaser in his hand, it'll be this one.

kt-dummy-handpointtoward121.jpg

kt-dummy-left-121904.jpg

Pix were taken during a repaint, and the top p1 details aren't installed yet, so that's why it looks a little incomplete.

Here's a comparison with a publicity photo of Nimoy holding the actual prop.

kt-dummyphaser-w-spock-sm.jpg

And some screen grabs.

OG-dummycu.jpg

SB-dummycu.jpg

SB-phasercu1.jpg

- k

Originally posted by USSCassiopeia+Dec 23 2005, 01:06 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(USSCassiopeia @ Dec 23 2005, 01:06 PM)</div>
Zaphod, (cool name, BTW.)

Try and find a can of Krylon Shadow Gray. It's OOP now, so you'll have to do some hunting.

I went with Hot Rod Gray primer for my P1, and after buffing and clearcoating it looks very close to what Rich Coyle uses.

The P2 handle needs Rustoleum Dark Bronze Metallic, but the good news is that you can find it at Wal-Mart...

Dave

<!--QuoteBegin-Zaphod
@Dec 23 2005, 12:41 PM
Tough question: Which is the best color scheme to follow?
[snapback]1142401[/snapback]​
[snapback]1142418[/snapback]​
[/b]

Thank you, and thank you again Dave.

Thanks the phaser was totally done with whatever parts I could scrape up.. without spending money on.. I figured like if you were on deadline and had to make this phaser work for background shots.. it did use aluminum stock for he trigger and p1 release from home depot..the site cover metal piece.. is from a fuse package.. ground down on a drinder.. then the yellow paint buffed off with a wire wheel grinder.. I didnt cut a window.. cuz the window area was damaged.. so I filled it.. intending to put a fake windo like electical tape rectangle or maks it off and paint it..
The nozzle and emmitter were 1 piece.. so I cut off the emmitter and drilled out the hole for a clear emmitter.. I went to the $1`store and bought a pack of clear pens.. and cut the end off the pen.. to use it has the hole in it.. and looks like the shorter nozzle from the Surviviing Hero..sanded it a little to fog it.. just cuz I like the look.. I was determined to salvage the phaser.. even after several of my friends told me throw it away.. This was a project of love.. and I love phasers.. this phaser sits by my computer.. and I am on dial up. and while waiting.. or I mess with it.. on a daily basis.. hey.. its my house.. If I wanna play with my phasers I can..
I dindnt have the clear part for the p1 so I painted it like the playmates just to see what happened.. hmm looks good onscreen.. the side knob is too low. but I didnt have another so I left it.. the handle has a hole drilled into it with a wood screw holding it in place from the inside of the p2.. The Side Rails were crooked.. so I sanded them off correcting the problem.. the crispy was molded into the p1.. so I masked it off and painted it instead of adding crispy as I didnt have any.. The rear fins are cast resin.. and I cut the forward area at a 45 angle to simulate the correct fins.. as the 23rd is straight .. The side rails are about half inch too far back and dont go to the front edge.. so to make the back ends end where they should they were modified.. But all in all.. It looks like a phaser.. I didnt know the turtle wax trick.. so when I clear coted it in Krylon Satin Clear.. it dulled all the Aluminum paint..
It is painted Krylone Grey Primer.. and Krlon Flat Black.. The Silver is Walmart Aluminum..

PP very cool.

I can believe the casting is the same as most of the later screen caps, but the two phasers in the side by side comparison shot do not look the same. The side planes do not curve in to meet the front face the same way, and the grip on the casting is shorter.

Also, in the small inset screen cap in the 2nd pic from the bottom, the grip is longer than on the casting.

FWIW :)

Here are some pics of my Coyle Phaser:
CoylePhaser1.JPG

CoylePhaser3.JPG

CoylePhaser.JPG

CoylePhaserL.JPG

CoylePhaserR.JPG

CoylePhaserTop2.JPG

This is the Phaser that USSCassiopeia mentioned earlier. The paint USSCassiopeia used on my AA upgrade is very simillar in appearance to what Rich used on this Phaser.

You people are killing me here. ;)

Just love, Phasers. :love

My favorite weapon, along with the lightsaber. :love

More, more, more ..... :D

Here is the rarest of rare fan made phasers.

These phasers were made by Bruce Wegman and Dave Heilman in the early 80's.

Only about 20 were made and are remarkable for the time period made.

phaser1.JPG

phaser2.JPG

phaser3.JPG

phaser4.JPG

phaser5.JPG

phaser6.jpg

Wow, that's awesome. I've never seen a Wegman phaser before. Very cool, and I agree pretty accurate for the time period. I especially like the off-white grip. :)

Do you know if they did the more traditional gray versions too?

Originally posted by WinstonWolf359@Dec 23 2005, 12:54 PM
Wow, that's awesome.  I've never seen a Wegman phaser before.  Very cool, and I agree pretty accurate for the time period.  I especially like the off-white grip.  :)

Do you know if they did the more traditional gray versions too?
[snapback]1142516[/snapback]​

The phaser body was cast in black as were the grips. Unfotunately over time the grip has yellowed. But it started out very white.

Earlier versions they did were gray. But I always prefer the B&W phasers.

I think the yellowed grip actually makes it more accurate anyway.

That's a really clean casting to be able to cast both parts in color without needing putty and primer.

Very nice. :)

Originally posted by uscm buzz@Dec 23 2005, 06:19 PM
Go to ASAP forum.. and put your request in the WTB column at the bottom of the forum.. then if someone does a run they will contact you.. No metal parts are available at this time though.. Cmanium.. does a run every now and then.. but I have contacted him and he dont have any..
[snapback]1142375[/snapback]​

Please excuse my complete stupidity on this. Could you please give me the link for this ASAP forum, or spell it out for me. I do not know what the ASAP stands for. :confused :cry

Thanks. :p

Originally posted by Serafino@Dec 23 2005, 02:39 PM
PP very cool.

I can believe the casting is the same as most of the later screen caps, but the two phasers in the side by side comparison shot do not look the same.  The side planes do not curve in to meet the front face the same way, and the grip on the casting is shorter.

Also, in the small inset screen cap in the 2nd pic from the bottom, the grip is longer than on the casting.

FWIW :)
[snapback]1142464[/snapback]​

I think the prop is turned slightly differently in each photo. Also different cameras were used, different distances to the lens, etc etc.

The grip is longer on the casting because I hadn't trimmed it yet. The correct length is cut off just below the "tombstones" on the sides (this gives the illusion of a "double diamond" shape, which is what people thought the cross section was for a long time).

kt-gripcut.jpg

- k

Originally posted by phase pistol@Dec 23 2005, 02:06 PM

I think the prop is turned slightly differently in each photo. Also different cameras were used, different distances to the lens, etc etc.
[snapback]1142557[/snapback]​
Yes they are, but what I said is still clearly true. :) I was going to say in my post "and no, it's not a perspective/lens distortion/yadda-yadda effect", but I thought that would sound rude so I didn't... :D I don't in any way have any expertise on these things, I just see that those two are clearly not the same shape.

I'm not saying the casting isn't legit, just it's not the same shape as whatever Nimoy was holding.

Originally posted by phase pistol@Dec 23 2005, 02:06 PM
The grip is longer on the casting because I hadn't trimmed it yet. The correct length is cut off just below the "tombstones" on the sides (this gives the illusion of a "double diamond" shape, which is what people thought the cross section was for a long time).
[snapback]1142557[/snapback]​
The casting is SHORTER than the phaser in the two pics I mentioned. Again I have no idea what exactly that means. :)

I've never been a fan of Star Trek, but after seeing all these pics of phasers I think I want one now. They are really nice looking pieces.

Originally posted by Serafino@Dec 23 2005, 05:26 PM
I'm not saying the casting isn't legit, just it's not the same shape as whatever Nimoy was holding.

Well I will have to defer to you on that one. I thought it looked pretty similar. :lol

Just looking at it thru a romantic haze... :$

- k

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back